belts with loops? How loose to hold rounds?

Help Support Ruger Forum:

roylt

Hunter
So I bought a rig and it was to fit 357. The belt seems to me to be for 44. How loose is too loose to be safe? In reality I doubt I wear it much but could be fun to hang at the range instead of setting my gun down to check targets etc.

Any input welcomed. Pictures would be cool too.

Thanks,

charlesappel

Single-Sixer
When a belt is new loops should be quite snug - even requiring a little bit of effort to insert the rounds..

BTW: Don't leave ammo in belt loops for extended periods of time. Contact with the leather can cause corrosion.

Bob Wright

Hawkeye
charlesappel said:
BTW: Don't leave ammo in belt loops for extended periods of time. Contact with the leather can cause corrosion.

Use nickel plated cases for leather loops.

Bob Wright

roylt

Hunter
Well this is a used rig so any idea how to judge? I have to see if I have any 44 rounds. I sold my 44 Blackhawk so not sure.

Chuck 100 yd

Hunter
As long as the cases rim prevents it from slipping through the loop you should be ok.
I make my own cowboy action rigs and make the belt loops quite snug using 4oz. Vegetable tanned leather. They loosen up after some use.

eveled

Hawkeye
Try soaking the whole thing in water, then let it dry. The loops will probably tighten right up.

6gun

Hunter
eveled said:
Try soaking the whole thing in water, then let it dry. The loops will probably tighten right up.

Yup exactly what I was going to suggest, wet leather shrinks up and becomes stiffer

roylt

Hunter
So funny, or not maybe. My water heater started to leak. Silver lining, now I can soak my rig. haha

stevemb

Hunter
I haven't done this, but a thought. You may want to have cases in the belt right after wetting, so the loops dry to a fit. Am concerned you may end up with a .32 belt if wetted and allowed to dry with loops empty.

6gun

Hunter
I disagree I wouldn't put cases in the belt the leather is not going to shrink that much if it does at all it may not and that would defeat the purpose of wetting the leather, you want the leather to shrink smaller then the case if possible to make them tight or your right back where you started from, leather stretches back out when dry.

Slenk

Single-Sixer
If the loops are woven through slots in the belt you
can adjust them. If each loop is sewn , they probably will not shrink from .44 down to be right for .357 . I had a Custom Saddle Shop for 35 years ,and made a lot of Custom Holsters/Belt rigs.

6gun

Hunter
Slenk said:
If the loops are woven through slots in the belt you
can adjust them. If each loop is sewn , they probably will not shrink from .44 down to be right for .357 . I had a Custom Saddle Shop for 35 years ,and made a lot of Custom Holsters/Belt rigs.

We'll just have him send the belt to you then and have you run a new leather strip that make the loops the right size. :mrgreen:

I agree if the loops were originally made for 44 they will never shrink down to a 357 size.

Bob Wright

Hawkeye
I have a belt slide that hold six rounds. A couple of loops loosened up to the point I lost a couple of rounds. I had a strip of suede garment leather about the same color as my belt slide. I glued a strip of this leather just under the loops. This tightened up the fit of the cartridges in the loops for a more secure hold.

Bob Wright

roylt

Hunter
Yeah. I told the guy and we have left it open for now. I have a leaky water heater that needs to be first. Then I will send it back or sell it and buy a 357 rig. Not sure yet but I'm sure we can work it out.

Cordite

Single-Sixer
roylt said:
I have a leaky water heater that needs to be first. Then I will send it back or sell it and buy a 357 rig.

Nah... Get the 357 rig. Just spray the water heater with that stuff in a can you see on TV that can fix any leak.... :D

roylt

Hunter
The guy told me to get back to him by Friday so this morning I got a 44mag round out of my old ammo box and it fits perfect. Sent him a PM to see how to return since it is not as offered. Hope he steps up and makes it right.

Was a pretty good deal really but I don't want a 44.