Is this normal for Ruger revolvers to ship in this condition

Help Support Ruger Forum:

kdave21

Bearcat
Im trying to decide if this is normal, or if the dealer actually sent me a used gun. I bought a "new in box" Vaquero from an online retailer. I will leave their name out of it for now, but to the best of my knowledge, they are a small time outfit (not Cabelas, not Gander Mountain, etc).

There is a turn line all the way around the cylinder. Quite noticeable. All six chambers show evidence of having been fired. The barrel has a brownish orange hue to it. Not like rust, but almost like what you see when you shoot jacketed rounds through the barrel. The cylinder pin was not pushed in all the way and the cylinder was wobbling around loose.

Seriously thinking about requesting a return, but don't feel its fair to the seller if this is common. I dont know how many rounds Ruger tests their revolvers with. Ive had this on layaway or a couple of months, so maybe they got bored waiting for their money and took it for a spin??

Opinions sought.

RSIno1

Hunter
Haven't bought a new one in a long time. I wouldn't think a new gun would have a turn line. They have to shoot it once to get the spent brass to include with the gun. Can't see them spending the extra dollars for a whole cylinder of ammo.

Mus408

Hunter
I've bought several new Rugers and none were like that. If not happy I would return it.
They could have mixed it up with a return.

swmetal

Bearcat
The Blackhawk I purchased a few months back had the obvious signs of test fire and a very faint turn ring, but it definitely looked "new". Was the gun in a clear plastic bag? I believe Ruger always ships them that way. Also, was there any/much carbon on the front of the cylinder from firing?

If you already picked it up from your FFL dealer, the online retailer may not accept a return. Most of the dealers I have ordered from allow an inspection period, but it has to be returned before the paperwork is filed and firearm accepted.

dougader

Hunter
Never received a new gun in that condition. Sent my 44 special flat top back for a couple things and it looked like it was tested well before they sent it back to me but I expected that, considering the items they were fixing.

kdave21

Bearcat
swmetal said:
The Blackhawk I purchased a few months back had the obvious signs of test fire and a very faint turn ring, but it definitely looked "new". Was the gun in a clear plastic bag? I believe Ruger always ships them that way. Also, was there any/much carbon on the front of the cylinder from firing?

If you already picked it up from your FFL dealer, the online retailer may not accept a return. Most of the dealers I have ordered from allow an inspection period, but it has to be returned before the paperwork is filed and firearm accepted.

It was/is in a plastic bag. I wouldnt say there is a lot of carbon the front of the cylinder, but to me, it looks like every single chamber has a ring. Ill post pics...

kdave21

Bearcat
http://s294.photobucket.com/user/luckyfromiowa/media/FullSizeRender1_zpsggatncgc.jpg.html

kdave21

Bearcat
http://s294.photobucket.com/user/luckyfromiowa/media/228359cb-a978-408e-920e-e4d6b5a7f72f_zpsftx4jd62.jpg.html

Hondo44

Hawkeye
No, a new gun should not come like that.

Your description of this gun sounds familiar from another thread about a year ago. It was returned to the retailer IIRC. I would go shoot it and determine if it has accuracy problems. Seems like that was also a complaint of the first buyer; if it's the same gun. The retailer may have put it away until now to resell.

swmetal

Bearcat
kdave21 said:
http://s294.photobucket.com/user/luckyfromiowa/media/FullSizeRender1_zpsggatncgc.jpg.html

Those carbon rings look like they have been cleaned. In my limited experience, Ruger doesn't bother cleaning after test firing. The cylinder ring also looks to be from quite a few rounds and my SS Blackhawk didn't have that much ring even after more than 100 rounds.

steelshooterco

Single-Sixer
You could call customer service in Newport and ask them to check the serial number to see if it is a new gun from their perspective, sold to one of their distributors and no one else.

MaxP

Buckeye
RSIno1 said:
Haven't bought a new one in a long time. I wouldn't think a new gun would have a turn line. They have to shoot it once to get the spent brass to include with the gun. Can't see them spending the extra dollars for a whole cylinder of ammo.

Each and every Ruger revolver gets a cylinder-full of proof loads.

6gun

Hunter
Sounds used to me or at least used as a display model and handled a lot with a cylinder ring already, I would call the retailer on it and try to get a discount in the form of a partial refund on it if you can't return it, most dealers won't take returns on guns.

Armybrat

Buckeye
kdave21 said:
I bought a new New Vaquero stainless .357 from Bud's this spring. It had carbon rings in front of two cylinder chambers and some carbon on the muzzle crown (I flaked that off with my thumb nail).

There was no drag line on the cylinder at first, but one soon appeared after "playing" with it a few times. Was surprised it did that so quickly.

Hondo44

Hawkeye
Armybrat said:
There was no drag line on the cylinder at first, but one soon appeared after "playing" with it a few times. Was surprised it did that so quickly.

The severity of the drag line (AKA "cylinder stop track", in some shop manuals) can be a factor of the cyl stop (bolt) surface roughness. Many come new with extremely rough surfaces.

I don't mind the cyl ring at all but I do mind an excessively rough cyl stop bolt from gouging a groove into the cyl.

So I simply polish the bolt while in the gun on all revolvers when I first get them. Takes one minute with a Dremel tool and goes a long way towards mitigating the half ring. After that, I never think about the ring again.

The half ring is the unavoidable part of the drag mark from where the bolt rises to meet the cyl surface and the notch approach ramp. NM Rugers and Smiths are designed for the bolt to rise before the approach ramp. So the cyl bolt only scribes a line starting 1/2 way between the notches by design. But a full line between each of the notches is completely avoidable.

However, recognize w/o conscientious handling of new models, the rest of the full ring will result.

You can cause a full ring when you close the loading gate w/o a cyl notch being directly above the cyl bolt; as soon as you cock the hammer or turn the cyl into place to lock it, you scribe a full ring.

Old model Ruger and Colt bolts rise in the approach ramp when properly timed and should have no lines on the cyl surface when properly handled. You can cause a full ring if you drop the hammer w/o cocking all the way back 1st before dropping the hammer (a SA no-no!)

kdave21

Bearcat
Thank you all for the time you spent assisting me. I told the retailer I would like a refund, and sent them a link to this thread so they knew I wasn't crazy in my evaluation. Their position was many Rugers came from the factory that way, and unlike some retailers, they don't spend time cleaning them up before they go on the show floor as they don't even have a show room. They stated sometimes they will wipe off the obvious/bad grime if it jumps out at them. They said they would refund my money but would charge a 10% restock fee plus I would have to pay shipping. The manager emailed me a picture of the same gun in a different caliber which displayed the same issues as mine did.

I called Ruger customer service to check into this. (Thank you for suggesting this, it was a good idea). A woman in the revolver section advised me that it would not be uncommon for all six chambers to exhibit carbon rings. I asked her about the turn line, and she said a turn line from the factory should not be considered abnormal. She stated that if you run your fingernail across the turn line, and your fingernail catches, that would be considered deficient and the gun should be sent back to Ruger to be looked at. I ran mine across the line. Some places I couldnt feel it at all, in one place I could barely feel it, but there was definitely no "catching." I described this to her and she said it was within spec (Im paraphrasing as I dont remember how she said it. But the meaning was "within spec.")

So as I don't want to pay a restock fee, and since Ruger customer service seems to be supporting what the retailer is saying, I guess the gun is mine to keep. Im kind of on the fence with what to do. I originally purchased it for myself. Since that time it has been on layaway, I bought something else, and am having a hard time justifying keeping this, especially since Im not in love with it. Ill just sleep on it.

Thanks again fellas for weighing on this one!

Hondo44

Hawkeye
Sending it back is a waste of an estimated $90 IMO.

1.) First I'd shoot it.
2.) If there's an accuracy problem, or any other issues, I'd send it back to Ruger. That's free, even shipping. You'll get it back in under 14 days.
3.) Then I'd shoot and enjoy it. Or if you still don't want it, sell it on this forum or Gunbroker.

What caliber is it?