What's up with 8-3/8 inch

Help Support Ruger Forum:

lfpiii

Blackhawk
I have been thinking of having a bucket gun made for hog hunting. Many smiths talk about cutting the barrel or replacing it to 8-3/8 inch. Is there something special about that length? I have both SBH Hunter and std in 7-1/2 and one in 10-1/2 so I have many options.

ElToro

Single-Sixer
With smith and wesson N frames the 83/8 barrel plus length of the frame = 10 inches of total sight length. In some pistol competitions of years gone by 10 inches of sight radius was the max allowed. It's just a traditional length for that reason. Makes for a really front heavy gun IMO.

phonejack

Single-Sixer
I have a M29 with the 8 3/8 barrel.for me it's too long for off-hand shooting but, when I can rest my forearms on something it's fun to shoot something waaay out there.

Armybrat

Buckeye
^^^
What he said.

And yeah, they are beautiful guns......

guns025.jpg

I've got a Smith Model 48 "no dash" with an 8 3/8" barrel. A pain to carry but it really does "shoot like a rifle". The only .22 WRM handgun I have that burns most of the powder INSIDE the barrel!

Hondo44

Hawkeye
My Smith Model 14 .38 Spl is a tack driver with 8 3/8" barrel. Just picked up a 44 Smith 8 3/8" barrel for my old model Super BH. By the time I rethread and install in my Super it'll be 7 1/2" and look factory but with the sleek Smith barrel rib. I like it better than the Ruger Hunter rib.

s4s4u

Hunter
Is there something special about that length?

Not as far as accuracy or handling. I prefer a 6" barrel for handling, but you will get a little more speed from a longer barrel.

Dale53

Blackhawk
The longer (8 3/8") barrel on a Model 29 Smith makes some sense with a scope. I have no problems shooting it standing two handed. I have taken several deer with mine. I can keep most shots on a playing card at 100 yards off a rest. I consider my range limit on deer to be 100% at 125 yards from field positions. Using a cross the chest holster (Bianchi) it is NO problem carrying in rough country.

Confession time:
The REAL reason I originally purchased an 8 3/8" barrel is that it was bought during a time that Model 29's were extremely hard to get. I told my supplier that I would take a 6" or 8" whichever became available. I got the 8 3/8". After getting it I flat became enamored of the revolver. It had a terrific trigger, shot extremely well, and, with the bright blue, was downright beautiful. After taking several deer with it, it won't be leaving here within my lifetime.

Dale53