Super Blackhawk in a wood box? PICS up ....

Help Support Ruger Forum:

hittman

Staff member
Okay fella's ........ one of these "friend of a friend" things has come up. Tomorrow I'm going to look at a NEW model Super in 44 Magnum and a wood presentation box. Allegedly the s/n is under 5,000 which according to RENE would put it in the mid-1960's era. He thinks it's either a 6 or 7-inch barrel but I'm guessing they came in 5.5" or 7.5" ~ he knows it's not the 10-incher.

If a gun like this is in 95% condition and the box is good ....... how rare or desirable are they? Where would I shop to see current prices?

As I get more info I'll let you know.

hittman

Staff member
I haven't even seen it yet ...... unless I'm missing it, RENE shows nothing about a new model being in a presentation box.

Anybody else?

street

Hunter
That gun sounds like an Old Model Super Blackhawk, 3 screw, if the serial number is under 5000. And that box should say "Genuine Mahogany" on the bottom of the box. See picture below.

411444021.jpg

Picture copied from "Know your RUGER Single Action Revolvers 1953-63" by John C. Dougan. Page 112

COR

Blackhawk
AND, if you pull the grips and they have a "C" on the backside of the panel it is also a "Long Frame" variant which is much more collectible...

Hondo44

Hawkeye
The box and the NM gun don't go together but the box might be close to the value of the gun. All wood boxes made for 7 1/2" barrels.

Last factory wood boxes shipped in April 1961, when the box factory burned down.

There are no NM "long grip frames".

The NM SBH with a # under 81-05000 was made in 1973. Would have a 7 1/2" barrel or, very rare, a non-cataloged 6 1/2" barrel but would not fit the box. Should have recessed chambers with firing pin groove and a smooth trigger.

One piece red cardboard hinged box.

hittman

Staff member
Assuming my source is wrong and this is an OLD Model gun (...even though I doubt it...) ~ what's a ballpark figure on value for an OM in wood box?

Seems pretty clear that I've gotta get more info.

JCW64

Single-Sixer
I think I have seen a "I.H.M.S.A" new model Super before in a wooden box. I think they have a 83 prefix? and were limited numbers as well.

From a few years back,
http://www.gunauction.com/buy/9266639

hittman

Staff member
Well, I still haven't seen this gun in person and it's a 2 hour drive (one way) from here but .... in talking with this very elderly gentleman I may have cleared up some things.

1. It's an old model, 7.5".
2. S/N is 45xx. No prefix.
3. Box is mahogany.
4. Red felt liner that's discolored 'cause the gun was wrapped in a silicone cloth.
5. Some type of Ruger "patch" on the felt inside the box.
6. One hinge is loose, box is "very good".
7. It is not any type of commemorative like IHMSA, BASS, Blackhawk War, etc.
8. No etching, engraving or symbols on it other than factory ID.
9. It's had "a couple hundred" rounds through it since he bought it used in the 70's.

Hmmm .... I'm thinking I may have stumbled onto the "real thing". Now I gotta see about getting a day off work for the trip.

SATCOM

Blackhawk
hittman,

Yup that describes the early packaging of the S&R Super Blackhawk .44 magnum. The serial number is correct for that period. The gun may NOT have the super polish as that did not start regularly until after the unavailability of mahogany boxes. Broken hinge is not a big deal and discolored red felt is common. It should have a large label on the inside the top. Also the word mahogany should be stamped on the bottom of the box. And NEVER store the gun in the box! It will rust. Be sure you take the RENE guide to determine just what wood boxed gun the Super is.

Let us know.

SATCOM

hittman

Staff member
RENE shows "S47 short frame high polish s/n range 3431 to 8650". This one falls in that range so ..... we'll see what it is soon I hope.

April of 1961 was when the last Supers were shipped in the mahogany box. (Info per RENE)

RENE also shows s/n's on the 1961 guns were 6222 to 7658. But, the info above says S47 high polish up to 8650. (??)

As we know, Ruger didn't do stuff in rigid numerical order, items are held for years before shipped, etc. Once again, seems only a letter will tell. If I am able to get this item bought I'd say my first-ever Ruger letter request will be in order.

hittman

Staff member
Rumrunner said:
Hey hittman, two hours which way. Coming back my way again. :lol:

Seems like it! I'll shoot you a quick PM.

p.s. ~ the guy called me again .... he hopes it doesn't hurt the value but a lot of this gun has kinda turned a purplish color. :lol:

flatgate

Hawkeye
Every one knows that all the wood boxes end up where they are carefully stashed away in a sleepy little town in UTAH, tucked away forever.......

:D Flatgate

Hondo44

Hawkeye
Last wood case shipped 4/61 (from above post) and numbers had reached the mid 6000s by then.
A 45XX s/n would put it into the high polish period, s/n 34XX to 86XX.
Should still have the steel rear sight stamped Micro.
Should have the eagle logo on the barrel.
Steel ejector rod housing.
Small 1/16" 'S' stamped on front of cyl.

Gun serial numbers were not built in order or shipped in order. The main rule is, there are no rules!
Would have shipped ~ mid 1960.