44 mag or 45LC as trail/Mtn camping gun?

Help Support Ruger Forum:

J LeeCZ

Bearcat
Getting the urge to get a Redhawk 4.2". Recent Carolina bear attack in the news worries me a little. Usually carry a .357 2.25" SP101 when camping/hiking in the NC mtns but thinking under worse scenario, I might be undergunned. Down side is the extra 20oz weight but I'll deal with that. Liking the look of the new 45LC/45ACP convertible but already have a 7.5" Redhawk 44 that I want to start handloading for. Would simplify and be cheaper in reloading costs to stick with 44mag but liking the idea of 45LC. I know little regarding revolver ballistics. Been reading some of the data over at the Buffalo Bore website.

Chuck 100 yd

Hunter
Either caliber will serve you well for the purpose.
I own several of each that you mention . If I had none and had to make that choice, I
would probably just flip a coin and go get it.

As I have (2) Ruger Blackhawks in 45 Colt and 45Colt/45ACP - I'd tend to go with the Redhawk in 45 as well. Either of them can work equally well for your stated purpose. Unless you want to get into loading a different cartridge...

RalphS

Single-Sixer
I own and reload for both a 44M Redhawk and a 45LC Redhawk. Either gun will push a 300 grain bullet to 1200 fps out of a 4 inch barrel without much trouble using H-110. Either gun will go faster than that if you want.

In your case, the decision should be easy. Get the 44M Redhawk because -

1. 44Mag ammo is easier to find if you don't reload. Even the Walmart 44M ammo would work fine in NC.

2. You already have a 44M Redhawk.

3. 44Mag reloading recipes are easier for a beginner to understand and very straightforward. There is only one 44M power level. With 45LC, you have to differentiate between SAAMI loads, 20K S&W loads, 32K CUP Ruger Only Loads, and the 50K PSI Redhawk only loads published in Handloader by Brian Pearce.

4. The 45LC Redhawk will probably need to have the cylinder throats reamed. Mine did.

5. Before someone says that 45LC has less recoil, let me state that when both guns shoot a 300 grain bullet at the same velocity the actual recoil will be the same. Perceived recoil might be slightly different but that's just your mind playing tricks.

noahmercy

Blackhawk
If you're planning on reloading for an existing 44, I would say stick with that cartridge, so you don't have to get into another caliber. I am a big proponent of 45 Colt and 454 Casull, but I also like to simplify when it comes to ammunition commonality and reloading components. And the minor difference in bullet diameter, weight, and speed means 44 Mag and Ruger-only 45 Colt loads are both great choices for heavy and dangerous animals. For bear medicine, in either cartridge it's hard to beat a 300+ grain LBT-style cast bullet on top of a max charge of Win296 or Lil'Gun. It has awesome penetration and the big meplat chops a generous wound channel on its way through without relying on expansion to make it. That same load is the best hog medicine I've used...broke both front shoulders and pulped the chest cavity of a 475 pound piney woods rooter at twenty yards with a 310 grain 44 at 1320 fps muzzle velocity. I doubt 20 more grains and 14 thousandths of an inch greater diameter would have proven more lethal. -Just my opinion, and worth exactly what you paid for it! :wink:

J LeeCZ

Bearcat
Appreciate the advice. Stopping by the LGS this week and see what's available locally.

wiiawiwb

Bearcat
If it were me, I'd look at the Ruger SRH Toklat. It has a 5" barrel, is chambered in 454 casull but you can shoot 45LC from it. Even if you don't anticipate shooting the 454 casull round, you have if you ever want it. If you don't, you have a 45LC in a slightly longer barrel.

http://www.ruger.com/products/superRedhawkDE/models.html

Toklat_x.jpg

WIL TERRY

Buckeye
I always carry a SAA 45COLT when I head for the high lonesome with 260gr SWC bullets at 990+-fps that'll fully penetrate ANY living beast in North America.
And so it goes...

Rclark

Hunter
I always carry a SAA 45COLT when I head for the high lonesome with 260gr SWC bullets at 990+-fps that'll fully penetrate ANY living beast in North America.
Yep.... Mine are Ruger Single Action .45s instead of the Colt SAA, but still a .45 Colt revolver.

Both with do the job... Personal choose.

DGW1949

Hunter
J LeeCZ said:
Getting the urge to get a Redhawk 4.2". Recent Carolina bear attack in the news worries me a little. Usually carry a .357 2.25" SP101 when camping/hiking in the NC mtns but thinking under worse scenario, I might be undergunned. Down side is the extra 20oz weight but I'll deal with that. Liking the look of the new 45LC/45ACP convertible but already have a 7.5" Redhawk 44 that I want to start handloading for. Would simplify and be cheaper in reloading costs to stick with 44mag but liking the idea of 45LC. I know little regarding revolver ballistics. Been reading some of the data over at the Buffalo Bore website.

If I was trully worried about being attacked by a bear, I'd skip buying the shorter handguns you mentioned, opt for the existing 7-1/2" .44 Mag and buy (or make) an appropriate holster to carry it in.

FWIW (even though you didn't ask)...I'd also keep a rifle handy while at my camp site.
But that's just me.

DGW

eveled

Hawkeye
You already have a 44mag, so I'd stick with that cartridge. Unless I was moving up to a .454 casull. I don't own any .44's, because I already owned a contender, with the .45lc barrel, so I stuck with the .45 on my revolvers. Nothing wrong with either cartridge, I just can't see having both.

LuckenbachTexas

Buckeye
Niether, a Sig Sauer 220 10mm is what you want.

I do agree you have what you need already. Those NC Bear deserve only the best Bonded or Copper Hollow point, not really a need on those bear for the Hardcast. That long barrel you have will do the job.

You sure came to the right place if you wanna know about bears :D

Lee, either one will serve you well, it's the load that does the work, so a good load on which ever you decide on is key. I typically use Buffalo Bore ammo and I like the heavier hard casts they offer. 305 LBT/LFNGC is available for the 44 Mag, you could use a 340 but it's a pretty stout load and not necessary for even larger black bears. For the 45 Colt I use a - 325 gr. L.BT/LFN Either would serve you well. Another option would be the Ruger Alaskans I have 45 Colt and 480 Ruger in those. Lots of good choices for sure. Someone has already mentioned the Toklat and they are nice guns as well. I haven't shot mine and haven't had it long but kind of take to it.

Silent Sam

Blackhawk
First, I wouldn't worry about the latest news. Attacks are rare and often include some human stupidity. If you want to increase your "insurance level" get some honest bear spray.
The only way I would ever carry a 7.5" Redhawk is if I was out dedicated handgun hunting. Camping/hiking no way. Reloading is the way to go if you want to shoot enough to get really proficient with either the 44 or 45. While it may simplify a bit sticking with one caliber the cost difference is negligible once you've got the dies. I'll tell you up front I'm a 45 guy, but there is nothing wrong with the 44Mag. If you get the Redhawk in 45 and decide you don't want it, it will be easy to turn back into cash. You don't have to worry about differentiating different 45Colt power levels as the Redhawk will handle them all. A 300gr load @ 1000-1200 fps in either caliber will do all that needs doing. Load it or purchase ammo at whatever power level you want. If the Redhawk platform fits you, fine. If you haven't tried the Supers, you should. The Alaskans are nice and are as packable as the short Redhawk and may be easier for you to shoot well.

wizofwas

Buckeye
Here is a simple non answer.
A. There is nothing wrong with just using the .357. It'll do the job for you with no problems at all, if you can hit the target.
B. If it were me, I'd get the 45. Why? I'm a 45 guy and nothing's going to change that.
C. If you're going to be reloading for the 44M anyway, why not get the 44M? Keep it simple by only reloading for one caliber.
The choice is yours. I told you it was a simple non answer. :)

OldePhart

Blackhawk
wizofwas said:
Here is a simple non answer.
A. There is nothing wrong with just using the .357. It'll do the job for you with no problems at all, if you can hit the target.
I was wondering if somebody was going to mention this... :)

A proper .357 load should be quite adequate for black bear. I wouldn't purposefully go hunting black bear with one but I wouldn't be uncomfortable hiking/camping with one...in fact a 3" SP101 is exactly what I have for those activities and I don't feel under-gunned anywhere outside of grizzly country.

I wouldn't worry about black bears much at all. They are much more shy than their big cousins. I've been around black bear many times and they really are more afraid of you than you are of them...unless you get between a mama and her cubs or are stupid enough to smell like really tasty food:
1) Hang your food well away from your tent.
2) Keep your spare clothes, tent, etc. up wind of your stove or cooking fire (just common sense for several reasons).
3) Wash up before turning in and don't sleep in the clothes that you wore when cooking and eating...remember that a bear has a nose about 50 times more sensitive than yours and it is the smell of food that attracts them.
4) NEVER have food in your tent or around your sleeping bag even temporarily because the food odor will linger. Yeah, if it's raining that means you either go hungry or put on your rain suit and get your backside out of the tent to cook and eat.
5) Don't pack your sleeping bag or tent inside a pack with food unless the food is in very tightly sealed containers.
6) If you encounter black bear don't approach them and try to pet them. This shouldn't have to be mentioned but there have actually been a couple of recent cases where people tried to get closer so they could take a picture with a crappy cell phone or something; if you want pictures of bears bring a proper camera and a long lens!

I can just about guarantee that anybody who gets mauled by a black violated one or more of the above simple rules. When I used to backpack a lot I had black bear snuffling around the edges of my camp site a few times at night...usually all I had to do was stir a little and make some noise or turn on a flashlight and they lumbered off to investigate other things. I had one that was a little more persistent once but it left after I tossed a couple of pebbles in it's general direction (not directly at it and NOT something you want to do with griz). I had a 4" .357 with me on that particular occasion and that was the only time I thought I might end up having to use it but the pebbles did the trick...though I have to confess I slept kind of lightly the rest of that night! LOL

John

OldePhart

Blackhawk
Oh...and before I forget...bear spray is just as, if not more, effective on black bears as on the big guys. In fact, several "experts" claim that even the relatively weak "dog sprays" are pretty effective on black bear.

JJ_Miller_480

Bearcat
I have been reading " bear vs handgun " threads for as long as there has been an internet. Elephants have been killed with the .22LR, does that make it perfect ? I'd guess not.

I'm not known for being PC so hitch up your britches..............the one thing I have NEVER seen in a post about bear attacks is the unusually high number of female hunters/campers that are victims. Its not reported on public media much or at all. Boars are boars, with their boar parts ( or boy parts ). There is enough data available to make me believe that when a women is having her period it attracts boars, thus bringing the attacks. Just stating facts, make of them what you will........................................JJ

Chuck 100 yd

Hunter
What J.J. Suggests has been studied by game and fish people and found to be spot on. Living on the farm as a young man, my dad told me the bull will get excited when a human woman in that condition is near. Just another thing to keep in mind when in bear country.

dakota1911

Buckeye
Still carry a Ruger Blackhawk in 45LC when I booney bang. The first two chamber have shot shells for snakes and the rest have Ruger/TC Contender only handloads for 2 and four legged stuff.