Making grips for my Blackhawk

Help Support Ruger Forum:

Huhwhat?

Blackhawk
Since I haven't made a set of grips in probably ten years, I decided I'd better try it with some cheaper wood than Purple Heart first. So here's some Poplar I'm working on. The pic is one of the blanks I cut, and one grip rough shaped to the gun.

MA3V4393-small_zpsucnhjxxu.jpg

Chuck 100 yd

Hunter
To bad all that labor went into cheap wood. They are looking good though.
When I was a kid, I asked my dad,how do you carve a gunstock? He said ...
" simple, you take a block of wood and whittle away everything that don't look like a gunstock". It took several tries over several years before I could say I was proud of my work.
You are ready for that Purple Heart!

Huhwhat?

Blackhawk
It didn't really take all that long, so I'll go ahead and finish this set. And the Purple Heart will have to wait for a trip to Phoenix to hit the hardwood store.

Chuck 100 yd said:
To bad all that labor went into cheap wood. They are looking good though.
When I was a kid, I asked my dad,how do you carve a gunstock? He said ...
" simple, you take a block of wood and whittle away everything that don't look like a gunstock". It took several tries over several years before I could say I was proud of my work.
You are ready for that Purple Heart!

I have made a couple sets of grips with poplar. The biggest problem I found was the Tru-oil finish made them much darker.
Gee whiz! That is the same thing that a world champion decoy carver told me when I asked how to carve a decoy. He told me to simply get rid of all the wood that didn't look like a duck.

Chuck 100 yd

Hunter
Yup , the worst thing a new craftsman has to get over is the fear of making a mess out of it. Get in there and start whittling, it's just a piece of wood.

I saw the purple heart thread in your other post. It looks like purple heart would make nice grips. Keep us updated. I for one would love to see the finished products.

Poco Oso

Buckeye
Looks like you'll do well. I have a little purple heart left over from past projects. I'd be happy to share some. PM me if you're interested.

Rodfac

Blackhawk
I've had some pretty good luck with poplar for grips. Initially I thought it would be too soft to work well, but it's worked well. The grips in the pic are spalted poplar from some of my horse fencing. They've worked out well. Rod

Joe S.

Hunter
I don't sand them on my guns either. I sand a little and try, sand a little and try...

Probably why mine don't have a perfect fit.