Bonded Ivory Grips.

Help Support Ruger Forum:

james r jr

Single-Sixer
Hey folks. Just got some fake ivory grips off of the Ruger site for my NMBH. They are just a little off in fit at the bottom left corner of the back strap. They overlap the back of the strap by maybe 1/16". My question is do these grips take a little sanding very well? I guess i would lose the shine, but maybe not much. Just wanted to ask before diving in. Thanks, James.

REP1954

Blackhawk
Go to the ladies finger nail care dept. and get a Kiss brand file and polishing stick. Pink on the polish side and black on the file side it works great. I came by this idea from Don Collins at Collinscraft.

mohavesam

Hawkeye
There's a difference between bonded ivory, made with epoxy and ground ivory powder in a controlled manner, and pure plastic colored to look "ivory-ish".
Plastic will sand and eventually regain a shine of sorts through use. The bonded ivory grips can be sanded easily and will more quickly get a homogenous shine or patina through use.

Start with fine abrasive materials and shift to more aggressive grits only when/if needed.

james r jr

Single-Sixer
I couldn't find the exact kind you suggested REP but found one that was close in description. It has multiple grit surfaces and it worked great. Thanks for the help guys.