6" Ruger Bearcat?

Help Support Ruger Forum:

Has anyone ever seen one of these? Is it a 'special' model or was the barrel changed? I do not see one listed anywhere in any of the "Distributor" models.
http://www.gunsinternational.com/guns-for-sale-online/revolvers/ruger-revolvers-bearcat/ruger-bearcat.cfm?gun_id=100569754

Terry T

Buckeye
While we never say 'never' about Rugers, I have heard of after market barrel swaps and never heard of a factory 6" barrel. The lack of any markings on the barrel would suggest after market.
It seems to be professionally done.
Terry T

contender

Ruger Guru
In the deep recesses of my mind, (which have been known to be faded a bit,) I recall a FEW odd length barreled Bearcats being made.
Without a factory letter, I'd NOT pay more for one.

street

Hunter
As it's a super Bearcat with a steel frame, it would be easy to remove the old barrel and install an after market barrel. Although it could be done with an alum. frame bearcat there is a good chance the frame would be destroyed when you tried to remove the old barrel.

Spoke with Joe at Cabelas just a few minutes ago. He said, he was told, that some Bearcats had been special made for employees but were never offered to the public. I told him that if it were true that a letter from Ruger, stating that information, would be needed prior to my purchasing the revolver. I also told him that he had my email address and phone number and if he should get such a letter to please contact me as I was interested IF it was 'factory' built.

Hondo44

Hawkeye
Mike,

If you like it and want it, and not just for a collectible, see if they'll deal on the price and buy it.

It looks good and you can't get a 6" done for that price (including price of a standard BC).

Hondo44 said:
Mike,

If you like it and want it, and not just for a collectible, see if they'll deal on the price and buy it.

It looks good and you can't get a 6" done for that price (including price of a standard BC).
My problem is Maryland's idiotic laws on handguns. They authorize the purchase of handguns based on their accepting them by specific "model" numbers. "Sturm Ruger Bearcat 0912, 0913, 0914, 0915, 0916, 0917 .22LR/.22MAG" These are to OK models. It took six months for 0916 and 0917 to become 'approved'.

chet15

Hawkeye
An old timer Ruger collector by the name of Fred Nielson had a 6" Super Bearcat that somebody had also fitted a faux loading lever underneath, to make it look like a pocket model Remington.
Never did hear where that gun wound up after the recent auction.
Chet15

chet15

Hawkeye
Yeah...I know...but the Ruger's intent was to make the Bearcat a lookalike of the Remington Pocket model of 1858. He also put a big PR-1 casting mark on the grip frame which stands for "Pocket Revolver - 1", and all the other parts for a Bearcat started with the PR prefix.
Fred Nielson just had one with a 6" barrel on it and a faux loading lever underneath.
Chet15