Cimarron single action

Help Support Ruger Forum:

5of7

Hunter
I bought a Cimarron model P-JR in .38 Special last winter and have been shooting it lately. The thing is that even though the sights are somewhat rudimentary, it shoots better groups than any other .38 Special that I have.

I just returned from the range and shot a 12 shot group measuring 2-3/4" at 25 yds. It regularly shoots 3" groups at that range.

I shoot sitting in a deck chair with my feet on a stool that allows me to rest my wrists on my knees, so this is not offhand, but it ain't bench rest either.

Have any of you guys had any experience with Cimarron guns? 8)

MaxP

Buckeye
5of7 said:
I bought a Cimarron model P-JR in .38 Special last winter and have been shooting it lately. The thing is that even though the sights are somewhat rudimentary, it shoots better groups than any other .38 Special that I have.

I just returned from the range and shot a 12 shot group measuring 2-3/4" at 25 yds. It regularly shoots 3" groups at that range.

I shoot sitting in a deck chair with my feet on a stool that allows me to rest my wrists on my knees, so this is not offhand, but it ain't bench rest either.

Have any of you guys had any experience with Cimarron guns? 8)

Ordered one in .45 Colt recently and am expecting it any time now. They seem to be well made, and I look forward to wringing it out.

Chuck 100 yd

Hunter
A local pawn shop has one in .38. It is in very nice condition but they are asking WAY TOOO much money for it and won't bend enough to make it even close to a fair price.
I would never pay 90% of the cost of a new Vaquero for one.

DGW1949

Hunter
I've had a "few" Uberti SAA's over the years, including two of the Cimarron versions. All were used perty-hard and they all turned out to be dern good guns.
That said though, all were SAA-sized, and the "P-Jr." is not. Not saying the scaled down version aint a good gun too, just saying that just like the case with Ruger's various offerings, not all Cimarrons are created equal.

DGW

Jim Puke

Hunter
I have the Mod P's in 44 special...I love them.

They are, now, my "go to" revolvers...just handle better than the Rugers.

5of7

Hunter
DGW1949 said:
That said though, all were SAA-sized, and the "P-Jr." is not. Not saying the scaled down version aint a good gun too, just saying that just like the case with Ruger's various offerings, not all Cimarrons are created equal.

DGW

That is why I don't hot-rod the 38 Sp. in this particular gun. Oh, it will handle +P ammo all right, but not the loads that I might shoot in a K frame 38 Sp, or a security six. 8)

DGW1949

Hunter
5of7 said:
DGW1949 said:

DGW

That is why I don't hot-rod the 38 Sp. in this particular gun. Oh, it will handle +P ammo all right, but not the loads that I might shoot in a K frame 38 Sp, or a security six. 8)

I'm hearing ya.

DGW

chilcotin

Bearcat
Have had a sheriff model 44/40 Cimarron for 15 years no problems, great shooter, my carry gun for years.
Would buy another without hesitation.

Hamilton Burger

Bearcat
Guess I'm spoiled by my Rugers, the wide, smooth trigger, the ability to carry six rounds safely, gloss stainless finish and wide variety of grips available...

I hadn't seen a Colt SAA in a real long time, but got to handle one recently. Was surprised that it felt exactly like my Cimarron.

For nostalgia, the Cimarron takes the taco. If only the "case-hardened" look wasn't painted on.

Bob Wright

Hawkeye
Hamilton Burger said:
For nostalgia, the Cimarron takes the taco. If only the "case-hardened" look wasn't painted on.

That is not a "painted" finish. It is a heat treatment applied by imersing in hot salts then quenching. It is not a bone charcoal finish, but neither is it a "painted on" finish.

Bob Wright

mohavesam

Hawkeye
Have had a couple Uberti guns and swapped a couple. All were quality shooters with fit and finish equal or better than Colts in my experience, (and at a third of the costs!).

They are not over-engineered like Ruger SAs, in fact they are not even Ruger copies! They are mostly Colt & SW copies. So why the apples-to-cumquats comparison to Ruger designs?

I have no worries at all firing SAMMI-spec loads in any Uberti/Cimmarron/Pietta so far.

veeman

Single-Sixer
Wife bought me a Model P 44-40 21 years ago for a wedding present. 1st it came with no rifling in the barrel. After a new barrel and an action job, been using it every month for CAS without one problem all these year. Does the same job just as well as it's $1200 Colt partner. My son uses them every month. I now use a pair of Uberti Remington Outlaw 1875's, also for several years without any trouble.

mohavesam said:
Have had a couple Uberti guns and swapped a couple. All were quality shooters with fit and finish equal or better than Colts in my experience, (and at a third of the costs!).

They are not over-engineered like Ruger SAs, in fact they are not even Ruger copies! They are mostly Colt & SW copies. So why the apples-to-cumquats comparison to Ruger designs?

I have no worries at all firing SAMMI-spec loads in any Uberti/Cimmarron/Pietta so far.

^^^This^^^

And the newer ones can be safely carried with 6 rounds loaded as they use a hammer bloack safety that's actuated when the hammer is lowered into the first notch.

w5lx

Single-Sixer
Bob Wright said:
That is not a "painted" finish. It is a heat treatment applied by imersing in hot salts then quenching. It is not a bone charcoal finish, but neither is it a "painted on" finish.

Bob Wright

Bob, is that true for Piettas too?

32magfan

Blackhawk
I only have two of the "traditional" single actions (I have several dozen New Model Rugers of all kinds, .22-.45) and both are Cimmarons. I have a 5.5" Model P in 32-20 that I bought for my father years ago and inherited last year. He shot that gun better than any other handgun he owned. Of course, he reloaded for it and cast 115 gr. RNFP bullets for it.

Last month, I ran across a "Thunderer" 3.75" in .44 SPL. It has the hump and a grip similar to a birdshead. I got it at a nearby gun show for $400 OTD. It shoots pretty well for a short bbl.

I like shooting both of these but I always have to really concentrate on the "manual-at-arms" since all the other SA's I have are NM Rugers. I guess I am conditioned to just being able to flip the loading gate open and check, load, etc. That said, the two I have are well-built and good shooters. That's good enough for me. :wink:

32Magfan