Votes: 10 22.7%
  • Standard with Fixed Sights

Votes: 16 36.4%
  • Adjustable Sights

Votes: 18 40.9%

• Total voters

tylosaurus

Bearcat
I need some help, and wanted to know what all of the Ruger Connoisseurs here thought. I want a Bearcat, but I can't decide between a Stainless Lipsey's Adjustable sighted model, or a Shopkeeper. The correct answer is obviously both, which I will eventually do, but which one first? I've held both in my hands, at the same time, and I can't decide.

In addition to range/plinking fun, I want a bearcat that will do double duty as a kit gun. I camp/hike a lot, and often end up in places, with time to kill, where a little plinking might be in order. Small game might be nice too. I'm thinking it will ride crossdraw, when I'm packing a .45 Blackhawk for bears. I already have a Stainless 4 5/8" Single six, with both cylinder's. While its great for plinking, its too big/heavy for a kit gun (combined with the Blackhawk), and a little too big for some of my kids to shoot.

I really like the looks of the shopkeeper, and how tiny it is. It's too darn cute, and looks like it will disappear on a belt. But, how accurate would it be for a small game kit gun?

I've seen some custom Bearcat's online with adjustable sights, .22 Magnum conversions etc, and I think I need one. When I get the adjustable sighted model, I will likely have a conversion cylinder made, as well as an action job. Basically it will be a much smaller version of my single Six. It should be an small, accurate shooter, but, will it disappear on a belt as well as the shopkeeper?

Or am I missing the boat all together, and I really need a standard 4.2" Fixed Sight model?

Well, let me know what you guys think!

thanks

Since I have at least one of each I say start with the fixed sight model. Then expand to the others. Each type has it's own 'personality' so it actually boils down to what YOU want. Whatever you choose beware...they multiply! :D :D

medicdave

Blackhawk
I voted adjustable first. Especially if your wanting to build a convertible. You Can always pull your cylinder out and send it back to Ruger to get the "lost" cylinder replaced. Ream your original cylinder to 22wmr while ya wait to get the gun back. You'll come out far cheaper than having a smith fabricate a cylinder and add adjustable sights to a fixed sight gun.

In a perfect world, I'd buy the standard, fixed sight Bearcat. But in my imperfect world, fixed-sight Bearcats that shoot to point of aim for me are rare. So the adjustable-sight Bearcat is the cats meow.

The Shopkeeper? It's cute, and every collection needs one, but for the first and/or only Bearcat, it would be my VERY last choice. The one and only Shopkeeper I've shot had (not again :? ...) sights that were not regulated to me. And ejecting the empties was a major keester pain. Maybe not an issue if you're carrying it and shooting only targets of opportunity, but at the range where I shot it a lot, it required way too much finesse to be enjoyable.

Furthermore, I'd suggest a Single Six, too. But the last fixed-sight Bearcat I've bought shoots so well for me, I've not shot any of my Single Sixes since. :mrgreen:

WAYNO.

Bearcat

Blackhawk
WAYNO said:
In a perfect world, I'd buy the standard, fixed sight Bearcat. But in my imperfect world, fixed-sight Bearcats that shoot to point of aim for me are rare. So the adjustable-sight Bearcat is the cats meow.

The Shopkeeper? It's cute, and every collection needs one, but for the first and/or only Bearcat, it would be my VERY last choice. The one and only Shopkeeper I've shot had (not again :? ...) sights that were not regulated to me. And ejecting the empties was a major keester pain. Maybe not an issue if you're carrying it and shooting only targets of opportunity, but at the range where I shot it a lot, it required way too much finesse to be enjoyable.

Furthermore, I'd suggest a Single Six, too. But the last fixed-sight Bearcat I've bought shoots so well for me, I've not shot any of my Single Sixes since. :mrgreen:

WAYNO.

Wayno is correct on the Shopkeeper. Interesting LOOKING revolver, with several functional issues. I would not waste my cash on that one. Or, if you do want one, buy a used one. Many for sale from dissatisfied users.....Although some folks have fun with them.

REP1954

Blackhawk
I voted standard fixed sight 4" barrel. Don't discount a Old Model Bearcat either.

dougader

Hunter
For me, the draw and charm of the Bearcat are the beautiful lines. All of that is lost with the adjustable sight model.

I lean toward the standard fixed sights model or the shop keeper. Then I'd have Alan Harton make one in 32 mag or 327 Federal.