New Ruger Redhawk shoots both .45 Colt and ACP!

Help Support Ruger Forum:

DPris

Buckeye
Doubt they will, they don't normally do "custom" retro-fits like that.
Denis

k22fan

Blackhawk
Reloading .45 Win Mag brass for this Redhawk cuts the distance from the case mouth to the chamber throat down to less than what it is firing .38 Special in a .357. That eliminates the one thing that I'm skeptical about. I think we are all confident that SAAMI's .45 Win Mag 41,500 psi MAP is not going to harm the gun. Darn few hunters could fire even six with any accuracy before the deer bounded off but using .45 Win Mag brass is an interesting idea.

DPris

Buckeye
Ruger doesn't recommend the Win Mag, I asked. Just an FYI.
I'm not sure I see a problem, if sticking to factory loads & pressures, and it would reduce bullet jump.
Denis

One consideration might be that a proper .45 Colt chamber diameter is just a little bigger than a proper .45 Win Mag (or ACP) chamber. If the Redhawk chambers were even a little more "generous" it might produce some unexpected results of blowby, etc. It will also be interesting to see if Ruger can produce proper .4525" throats in this gun.

Extractor grooves in the Win Mag spec a little larger than the ACP, so the clips might need a little attention.

rangerbob

Buckeye
I threw that out there simply because I happen to have 200 rounds of ammo, some of it is even loaded with Keith style bullets and a few with red tipped Hornadys. Of course, in the Contender, the round headspaces on the case mouth and probably a little on the extractor. I reviewed several sources last evening and found, as I suspected, that the Gap, ACP, and Win Mag all have the same rim measurements, and I saw that the Win Mag is just a tad shorter than the 45 Colt. A Redhawk in 454 Casull that was cut for moon clips would shoot all of it in stride. Who knows, we might even get a 455 Webley in there. Currently, the 45 Win Mag is a moot point as there is very little ammo out there. It is an option if one handloads, as brass is available from Starline. A double action revolver that fires six different cartridges intrigues the hell out of me. Bob!!!!! 8)

rangerbob

Buckeye
For the what its worth department, I rescued(found) a bag of my 1917 style moon clips and popped 6 rounds of Win Mag into them. As was suggested, their fit was snug, but doable. The loaded clip dropped right into my 45 Redhawk once I got the Keith bullets aligned. Naturally, the cylinder would not close as my gun is not cut for moon clips yet. My local smith and LE comrade says he can machine the cylinder to fit the clips just as Ruger has done. As this gun is a square butt and will take Hogue grips, I'll have to keep it. Bob!! 8)

DPris

Buckeye
Unlikely.
They don't normally do "custom" work or retro-fits.

And confirming that Auto Rims will not work.
Picked up my sample today.
Already have three people who want to buy it from me. :)
Denis

mexicanjoe

Single-Sixer
People: Ruger needs to build a 3.5 barrel .357 magnum Redhawk ,with non adjustable sights.( fixed sights) and a 4 inch barrel version with adjustable sights.......would sell like ice water in hades. Your kind comments are welcome...su amigo....mexicanjoe!!

tybochip

Bearcat
A dealer in Ohio, keeleyarms.com has one in stock for $789 + $8.99 shipping 614-754-5125

tybochip

Bearcat
Sorry, I misspelled the website keelyarms.com They always have a lot of listings on Ohio Armslist with good prices. I have never bought from them but they have good reviews if you google them

DPris

Buckeye
Got, have not shot. Hopefully next week.
Same deal as Max.
Denis

charlesappel

Single-Sixer
I picked one up a few days ago. $789.95 plus tax.

I have not had a chance to shoot it yet.

I tried some older moon clips in it. They are too wide and do not fit the cutout in the cylinder.