About to find out what Ruger CS is really like

Help Support Ruger Forum:

rjm6120

Single-Sixer
Just got a new-to-me, hardly fired, 3" GP100 in .38 spl on Friday. Went to the range this morning to shoot a couple boxes through it. Loaded it with 6 (new ammo, non +p, non hollow point), shot all 6, and upon trying to eject the cases the ejection rod wouldn't budge. Had to remove all the spent casings by hand, but one had to be tapped out with a punch and tack hammer.

Loaded cylinder with 6 more, different manufacturer, still non +p, non-hollow point---same thing happens with same cylinder chamber. I found that the suspect cylinder chamber has a slight burr/imperfection/whatever on the outside edge of the rear of the cylinder chamber.

I shot another 40 rounds or so, leaving the "bad" cylinder chamber empty, and everything functioned just fine---all cases ejected smartly as they should. It's a great shooting gun!!

Just kind of a buzz kill on the first day of trying out a new gun. I'll post pics of the newly acquired GP tomorrow. I e-mailed Ruger when I got home today so we will see what happens from here.

Jimbo357mag

Hawkeye
"a slight burr/imperfection/whatever on the outside edge of the rear of the cylinder chamber." Perhaps a stone or file could take that out for you. :D

rjm6120

Single-Sixer
I forgot to mention that the stuck casing had a pretty decent sized oval-shaped rub area on it; the range safety officer said that it appeared that the chamber surface looked a hair misshapen on one side. Sorry, I'll have to figure out how to post pictures.

Gun polishing/smithing, etc. is something I am not the slightest bit comfortable with. I appreciate the suggestions, but I would probably just end up doing something wrong and jacking up the gun. Better let the professionals at Ruger do it.

Chuck 100 yd

Hunter
Ruger won't do any polishing either most likely, they will just replace the cylinder. That is the best way to go if you don't mind being away from your toy for a few days to a couple weeks.

schloss

Single-Sixer
Have you vigorously cleaned the cylinder?

Were it mine, I'd soak it and scrub it, and try again. Then look at sending it off.

Also, if you can find some T-gauges, you could measure the cylinder out and see what is going on. Most auto shops will have them, as will most small engine shops. You might even be able to pull the cylinder and go to an auto parts store. Most of them will let you borrow those tools for free. Might help, and tell you whether or not to send it in.

rjm6120

Single-Sixer
Chuck, that is what I was thinking as a possibility. Really doesn't matter to me as long as it's repaired. Won't be going to the range for 3-4 weeks, and it's been at Ruger since this past Thursday. I did kind of suck sending it off 5 days after I received it.

schloss said:
Have you vigorously cleaned the cylinder?

Were it mine, I'd soak it and scrub it, and try again. Then look at sending it off.

Also, if you can find some T-gauges, you could measure the cylinder out and see what is going on. Most auto shops will have them, as will most small engine shops. You might even be able to pull the cylinder and go to an auto parts store. Most of them will let you borrow those tools for free. Might help, and tell you whether or not to send it in.

Yes I cleaned the gun up to my OCD standards once I got it, including bronze brush scrubbing, before I took it to the range. When I talked to the Ruger CS guy (who was very nice) when I called to make arrangements to send it in, he agreed that it definitely sounded like a bad chamber.

The process the send the gun back was pretty painless, aside from the $99 I had to spend to send it next day air. I'll post when I get the gun back.

swmetal

Bearcat
rjm6120 said:
The process the send the gun back was pretty painless, aside from the $99 I had to spend to send it next day air. I'll post when I get the gun back.

Didn't Ruger offer to provide a return shipping label? I had to send in my Blackhawk and they emailed me a return label - 2 day service - at not charge.

rjm6120

Single-Sixer
No they didn't, SW. I asked the guy about if he would e-mail me one (kind of playing dumb, not knowing how the process worked), but he said Ruger only does that for guns that are 1 year old or less. He said mine was shipped in 2012 so it didn't qualify. I wasn't going to argue with him (I did buy the gun used, so I'm at least the 2nd owner), and he said the gun would be fixed, ensured it was within factory specs (adjusted if anything was not to spec) and shipped back to me all on their dime. So, I'm hoping for a little extra "goodie" from Ruger instead (not sure if that's a common practice for them to do or not). We'll see.

brushunter

Single-Sixer
rjm6120 said:
So, I'm hoping for a little extra "goodie" from Ruger instead (not sure if that's a common practice for them to do or not). We'll see.

I wouldn't expect any " goodie " , but they will make repairs on their dime. Over the years I've sent probably half a dozen revolvers back to Ruger for one thing or another. Only one was actually "new" . I've never been disappointed. Thats why I keep buying them.

regards , brushunter

rjm6120

Single-Sixer
FergusonTO35 said:
Got any pics of your GP? That's sounds like it would be a sweet piece with a set of compact Lett grips.
I have not figured out how to post them on this forum, Ferguson. From what I've read it sounds like I have to have my pics on some outside host, like Photobucket or something like that, and I don't have any kind of account like that.

I can tell you that it is a very nice gun, and upon purchase it came with Lett style grips on it, in addition to the standard Hogue rubbers. It also has fully adjustable rear sights and a fiber optic HiViz front sight, in addition to the standard front black ramp sight.

Jimbo357mag

Hawkeye
Rodfac said:
What's a "buzz kill"?
Did you miss the 70's or something??

http://www.urbandictionary.com/define.php?term=buzzkill

TOP DEFINITION
buzzkill
Something that spoils or ruins an otherwise enjoyable event, esp. when in relation to ruining a drunken or drug-induced high.
We were having a great time at the party until Jim puked all over the floor. That was a major buzzkill.

rjm6120

Single-Sixer
Well, I sent in my GP100 two Wednesdays ago and got it back from Ruger first thing this morning. Brand new cylinder and crane, test fired/functioned and, although it didn't say it on the service order, I swear they cleaned up the action a little because it seems smoother than I remember it being before I sent it in. It doesn't seems to stack nearly as much when pulling the trigger in double action.

Maybe my mind is clouded by the joy of getting my gun back. It'll probably be a couple weeks before I take it to the range but needless to say I'm excited.

Hamilton Burger

Bearcat
I have not figured out how to post them on this forum, Ferguson. From what I've read it sounds like I have to have my pics on some outside host, like Photobucket or something like that, and I don't have any kind of account like that.

I use TinyPic to host photos. No account needed.

2lw6fky.jpg