Finally found one.

Help Support Ruger Forum:

schloss

Single-Sixer
So, I've been searching for about 7 years for this a Blackhawk that met my requirements. I was insistent on something in good or better condition, 45 Colt or 45 convertible, with a tight barrel/cylinder gap, and it had to have a short barrel - by short, I mean normal short, not these new-fangled sherrif's models - so, 4-5/8".

I have compromised repeatedly - wrong caliber, wrong barrel length, wrong material, etc. First, I got a 5-1/2" model in 45 colt. I was really after something in stainless, and this one was blued. The bluing wasn't great, but it was a convertible, and it's turned out to be a great gun, and I'm pretty abusive to it. I've smoothed it out a lot, and I'm happy to have it now. I still think about trimming that barrel back.

Then I landed a blued one with a 4-5/8" barrel, but it was in 357. Wasn't exactly what I was after, but close. I liked blued at that point in time, and it's still my preferred finish. Once I switched over to wood grips, it was getting pretty close.

I landed a New Vaquero, a Vaquero (this one finally in 45 Colt), and I don't know what else...

But finally... Today... after much irritating my wife... after much complaining... after much searching.... after almost giving up on it...

I found it. It was at a LGS, but dirtier than snot. I saw it yesterday, and was actually forced to leave it, get my cleaning kit, and go back and look it over. Nothing on this was clean, and the owner didn't even know how to deal with a revolver. Once I got all the soot off and halfway clean, I went through my normal inspection. No visible flame cutting, no visible forcing cone wear, bore looks awesome. Has the factory wood grips, which I currently prefer, it's a little scuffed up in normal areas, but not beyond repair. Trigger feels pretty good, and the SN places it as 1997 manufacture, same year I graduated high school. Has the Belt Mountain pin with the set screw, pretty good fit there without being overly tight, and has what appears to be a Millet 100 series rear sight. Also, the B/C gap is 0.002 at the tightest, and less than 0.003 at the loosest.

Overall, I'm very happy. It's not blued, but I'm sure it will still be a blast. My folks are coming up here to visit this week, so I'm sure I'll have some fun with my Dad and my 4 year old at the range. And my wife is going to be seriously pissed off.

I paid $412 after taxes. I'm plenty content. If I ever figure out how to take better pictures, I'll be sure to upload them. This pic is the best of numerous attempts.

Woohoo!!! New Blackhawks are better than payday!!! I feel like I'm 16 again, and just got my drivers license!

roylt

Hunter
Looks good. I would swap in a super hunter hammer though. Just drop right in and feel so much better to me.

Congrats and you wife will get over it.

schloss

Single-Sixer
I'm considering changing the grips, the hammer, and extractor rod.

All in good time, I'm sure. Should make it to the range tomorrow or Saturday, I hope.

schloss

Single-Sixer
I got your logic on that, Jack. But I think she'll see through it. I'm supposed to be saving money for a new computer, so I'm not sure it would benefit me right now. There's just so much other stuff I want to play with...

So, her first range day didn't go real well. My 5-year-old was way more interested in playing in the sand than shooting, and my Dad wasn't real interested either.

And, all I could find were some lighter bear loads for it. I've got plenty of brass, but don't have any bullets, so I just took what I had. But, it wasn't so great. A few rounds in, and the shelf on top of the grip was cutting the web of my hand open. So, I was reduced to having some quick fun with my New Vaquero and the 1911. Still nice to shoot, though. I'll have to place an order with Missouri Bullet and try again another day.

I just noticed you are in Soldotna. See if you can find some buffalo bore ammo. I prefer the 305 grain HC's as the 340's have some stout recoil. We did use some 340's when I lived up there but typically in Redhawks. 5-1/2" is a little heavier. As for bullets up there I'd look at LBT's Lead Bullet Technology. You'll still have to order but they are good heavy hard bullets. I think as long as you top 1000fps you should be good. Try to find a good 300 grain WFNGC.

By the way, I've got one just like that but it has the factory base pin and not the better Belt Mountain you have.

NewportNewsMike

Single-Sixer
schloss said:
.......has what appears to be a Millet 100 series rear sight.

That front sight with its red inlay MAY also be a Millet. I think Millet had some Ruger SA sights with red inserts.

In any case, a VERY nice find.

I have had its brother for a few years. Mine has the stock cylinder pin and wears Eagle Gunfighter grips. It is one of my favorites.

schloss

Single-Sixer
Good to know. I've been messing with it some, but I'm not real happy yet. I started a thread a little while back, as the frame extension is cutting the web of my hand open. I think I know what I'm going to do for it but still got miles to go on it.

One of my co-workers shot it yesterday, and definitely shot better than I usually do. I think it's a keeper, but I've got work to do. On the flip side, he had also brought along a Cimmaron, which he claims to be in love with. He shot the Blackhawk so much better it's not even funny.

If I wasn't such a terrible shot, I'd be tempted to do a range report. Maybe sometime soon. Depends how the fishing goes. I think I've got my halibut taken care of, but still need to handle the salmon, so could be a little while... or could be soon.

Appreciate the insight.

That gun is a keeper. I've got a soft spot for 4-5/8" guns. I had one of those a couple of years ago and at least at the time maybe even now since they are discontinued I think they are $600-$650. I got a pretty good deal on the one I have now but not as good as you did. I got a 4-5/8" blue Vaquero here while back with the fake CC on it. I got a good deal on it and figured I could I could make a few bucks. Then I played with it some, and it balanced so good. Gotta keep it.

How's fishing this year? Thinking about coming up in August, I love fishing Silvers. Is this Pink year, I forget. I prefer the rainbows after I fish the Silvers.

glw3151

Bearcat
Very nice find. I share your affinity with the shorter barrel lengths. Have you measured the cylinder throats?

schloss

Single-Sixer
Thanks, all.

No, haven't measured the throats. Might be able to swap out the grips shortly, though. Should be set in just a few weeks.