Ruger Rear Sight........

Help Support Ruger Forum:

Bob Wright

Hawkeye
I was just examining my new Flat Top Blackhawk .44 and casually sighted down the top strap and remembered how much better the rear Micro sight is than those on other Blackhawks. This the all steel round tanged sight on the Flat Tops of then and now. The flat face offers a much better sight picture that the aluminum bases with the rounded surface facing the shooter.

Several years ago I got an all steel replacement rear sight from Gary Reeder, and wonder if this is still available from him. And is there any similar sight available as a replacement for the square-tanged sights on Blackhawks?

This is Reeder's replacement sight:

Bob Wright

Hondo44

Hawkeye
Bob,

You're right, a much better sight picture.

I use the new model flat top steel round tang in all model Ruger SAs whether flat top or not. This is an old model single six that I 'flat topped'.
orig.jpg

G2

Hunter
Bob,
That is a nice looking rear sight, do you remember what you paid for it?
I'm all about upgrades, most of my Old Model guns I have rounded up vintage Micro replacements. Have paid $50-100, but see them sell upwards $150. :shock:

The Bowen rear sight is nice but just a tad big, and currently very hard to acquire.

The old aluminum sights are going to be the next hard one to find in like new condition.

The NEW current rear sights have a R-bird that aesthetically looks poor IMNSHO.

Bob Wright

Hawkeye
I bought this one from Gary Reeder several years ago, and shipped the price was around $95.00. Last time I saw it on his website, it was shown on my Ruger!

The thing I like about this, as opposed to the Bowen, and Millett sights, is that the sight blade is slightly forward and out of the way for your thumb to get at the hammer spur!

Bob Wright

Bob Wright

Hawkeye
Gary just answered my email query ~ these rear sights are no longer available. He said it took four years to sell a hundred sights, not worth the trouble.

Too bad, it was a fine replacement sight.

Bob Wright

Hondo44

Hawkeye
Bob,

No wonder they used the photo of your gun, it's gorgeous!

The best I can offer:
The last two Ruger late style, old model steel Micro sq tang sights I found were $95 each, shipped. Looking at one of mine, I believe by serrating them with a checkering file, squaring the round cut, and re-bluing, it would not only shorten the overhang over the hammer spur, but also result in an almost exact replica of the Reeder sight.

I may just have to practice on one of my scratched up replaced Ruger aluminum alloy sights, then Ceracoat it with black, and bake in the oven.

mhblaw

Blackhawk
I have several Bowen target rear sights, both on his customs and on factory guns. I like them. Waiting for more...

G2

Hunter
Would it just not be the Bees knees if Ruger would take the "Micro" sight as it is on the the current NM flattops, put a square nose like a standard blackhawk sight, build it with bump, and stamp it "Micro".
Sell them as an upgrade rear sight for the single series, blackhawk, as Micro Sight did in days of old.

I would dare say they could get upwards of $100 @ retail, would be nice to see them in the $50-70 range.

Anyone have and idea on what a current flattop Micro rear sight sells for? (Round Nose)

Hondo44

Hawkeye
I can not find the new flat top rear sight offered anywhere, but Ruger may just be stingy about selling them as parts yet.

orig.jpg

But if it's any indication, the new all steel rear sight with cast in bird goes for $16 here at Midway: http://www.midwayusa.com/find?userSearchQuery=ruger+rear+sight

And $13 at Brownell's: http://www.brownells.com/handgun-parts/sights/rear-sights/sight-assembly-complete-rear-w-bump-prod12177.aspx?error=invalid

I can't imagine the flat top round front Micro sight being much more.

G2

Hunter
Learned something today that you all might find interesting. Recently I have been working on fixing a Single Seven.
Fresh from Ruger this thing was a mess, over ground in some areas, under in others, the loading gate would hardly work, the underground loading area was so bad that you could get it to take a round but had to " fiddle" it in, makes me wonder who the hell the person was doing the test fire. The front sight, canted left,(barrel over tightened),mounting screw buggered, the Rear Sight also had a cant to it, ???, and slopppppy,,,

So I pulled it to find a smashed rear spring, no big deal, had a replacement. Went to expand the sight width with a punch and this thing fought back like I have never felt before, in fact I could not get any metal movement. Grabbed a magnet and yep this entire assembly is steel, and tough steel at that. So did the little bit of JB on each side to take up the slack.

The first sight I saw with the new "bird/R/logo", casting was sunk in, to say the least very unimpressed. This one was not sunk in and while I dont particularly care for the "logo" (personal opinion) the casting is very clean, and I'm impressed it is STEEL!! Good tough steel at that.

Now it's got me thinking, carefully file off the "logo", "Micro" engrave it, just because it's cool, and add those Horizontal grooves in the rear of the body, re-blue and then you have a really neat, clean, STEEL, rear sight. :D

Here is a couple pics of it standing on its own on the magnet....proof :wink:
image.jpg2_4.jpg
image.jpg1_4.jpg

AND... FWIW The Rear Sight assembly on the new SP101 327M is ALL STEEL.
It's smaller in overall size, ohhh the possibilities.

G2

Hunter
Jim, I totally missed that point in your post, :oops:

I have been looking at the one I have and I think I can take the "R" out of the bird fairly easily, which would clean it up some.