• B: 5.5" Flattop 44 Spl

Votes: 25 19.2%
  • A: 2.5" Alaskan .44 mag

Votes: 105 80.8%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

Bucks Owin

Hunter
You live in big bear country and you have the choice of TWO SPECIFIC REVOLVERS. A 2.5" Alaskan in .44 mag or a 5.5" Flattop in .44 Special.

Which one and why?

PS: You are a handloader.

Kanook

Buckeye
Alaskan, only because of the double action. I'm fine with others choosing the SA, but for me 2 hands might not always be a option.

Thel

Blackhawk
In my case I agree with Kanook. Sort of an apple and oranges selection, though.
If offered the choice probably would pick a 4.2" Redhawk (I have one).

CraigC

Hawkeye
Alaskan, hands down. The .44Spl is a wonderful cartridge but big bears are above its pay grade. Even out of the short barrel, a 330-355gr .44Mag load is going to be more potent than anything you can cram in the .44Spl.

MaxP

Buckeye
.44 Mag.......

But I would rather have my vastly superior .45 Colt -- my turn to stir the pot! :mrgreen:

gunzo

Hunter
"PS: you are a handloader."

That right there will make this interesting. "Handloading" can move the special into magnum territory, but it can also allow you to use fast burning powders or powders designed for short barrels to let the magnum remain a magnum in the 2.5 incher.

FWIW I voted for the...

Jimbo357mag

Hawkeye
Alaskan for two reasons: (1) the Alaskan is much more carry friendly. (2) the 44 Flatop can't be loaded anywhere near 44 magnum power.

gunzo

Hunter
LuckenbachTexas said:
Personally, I don't find the end result much different betwixed the two calibers unless using hollow points.

I think this was a trick post.

I agree.

Not sure the end result would be different even if hollow points were used. I doubt the 2.5" magnum can surpass the vel. of the 5.5" special, when the special is loaded to it's full potential.

Bob Wright

Hawkeye
Kanook said:
Alaskan, only because of the double action. I'm fine with others choosing the SA, but for me 2 hands might not always be a option.

It takes no more hands for a Single Action than for a double action.

Bob Wright

Hondo44

Hawkeye
Honestly, neither. In "big bear" country, meaning brown or grizzly and I'm alone, I would carry nothing less than .454 Casull in a short barrel DA.

If with someone, a single shot .22 derringer is all that's needed. If a bear threatens, shoot the 'someone' in the foot and make a hasty retreat.

MaxP said:
.44 Mag.......

But I would rather have my vastly superior .45 Colt -- my turn to stir the pot! :mrgreen:

Agreed I sold my Alaskan in 44 mag, but I have the 454 and a 480 in the Alaskan. I sold my 44 and got a Toklat 454. I use the 45 Colt with Buffalo Bore 325HC in it. Lots of confidence in that load and bullet.

CraigC

Hawkeye
gunzo said:
...it can also allow you to use fast burning powders or powders designed for short barrels to let the magnum remain a magnum in the 2.5 incher.
Myth. The same powders that yield the highest velocities in rifle length barrels will also yield the highest velocities in a 2.75" barrel. That is, slow burning pistol powders like H110/296, Lil Gun and 300MP.

LuckenbachTexas said:
Seems like some folks ain't too versed on handloading for the longer barrel 44 Special nor the real difference in actual use of the 44 bullet at pistol velocities despite what numbers say. You can literally take "Energy" out of the equation for this purpose if you are aware of how the similar bullets would perform at close range. Personally, I don't find the end result much different betwixed the two calibers unless using hollow points.
That may hold true for standard weight bullets. I'm well versed in what the .44SPl is capable of and you'd be hard-pressed to find a bigger fan. Like I already said, there's nothing you can do with the .44Spl to catch up to the SRH .44Mag, even in a short barrel. This holds true at standard .44Mag pressures, not to even mention the fact that the SRH can be loaded to 50,000psi. I've seen reports of 1200fps with the Buffalo Bore 340gr load.

LuckenbachTexas

Buckeye
Usually with the Keith type loads most folk hold as the top notch monster killer, both loads are going to leave ONLY a 44 hole and both have significant power to penetrate or break the same bones. I like a 300gr copper jacketed HP 44 mag from a 4 5/8" Vaquero. Everybody's got their thing.

Kanook

Buckeye
Bob Wright said:
Kanook said:

It takes no more hands for a Single Action than for a double action.

Bob Wright
The biggest problem with these "what ifs" is everyone views things differently. I would love to see a person cock a SA with one hand while a 300 plus pound animal is on top of you attempting to consume you.