Is there something I'm missing here?

Help Support Ruger Forum:

48flyer

Single-Sixer
Look at this ebay auction for a cylinder. I paid less than that for my whole Vaquero in 45 ACP.
What's so special about this one?

http://www.ebay.com/itm/121654368330?_trksid=p2060353.m1438.l2649&ssPageName=STRK%3AMEBIDX%3AIT

OldePhart

Blackhawk
Looks like two guys really, really want that cylinder! All the other bidders dropped out a long time ago. eBay can be crazy. I saw a $30 Martin (guitars) strap button set go for over $300 on eBay, once and it wasn't rare or collectible or anything. In fact, I noticed two or three of them hanging on the accessories rack at my favorite local guitar shop a week or two after that auction closed.

Hondo44

Hawkeye
That just happens to be an extremely desired cyl, a stainless "New Vaquero" mid size frame 45 ACP cyl. Fit's New Flat Tops and old model mid size flat tops converted to 45 Colt.

The convertible models that came with these haven't been out that long so very few floating around on the used market. Buyt still, one could buy the convertible gun, keep the cyl, and resell the gun for a whole lot less than that!!!!

Tip

Single-Sixer
OldePhart said:
Looks like two guys really, really want that cylinder! All the other bidders dropped out a long time ago...

You can call me a cynic, I don't care... :?

Looks can be deceiving!
Using one or two "bidders" to drive up bids, in order to entice the unsuspecting bidder(s) to join in, is a scam that's older than the hills.
(Such a person is known as a "Shill.")

Don't assume all that you see on eBay is legit.
Could these two bidders be authentic?
-Well, of course. Key words: "Could be".

Better yet, could just one (unwitting) bidder be authentic, thereby being led down the primrose path by a shill?
Uh-h-h, YES.

Gauging the value of something based on the price that someone apparently will pay, can be misleading -not to mention, hazardous to your bank account.

Enigma

Hunter
I always decide early on the maximum that I will pay for anything I'm bidding on, and I stick to it. Another one will come along - it may take a while, but I'm betting you could have Hamilton Bowen (or someone) fabricate you a cylinder for less than that!

CraigC

Hawkeye
Well, there's no accounting for good sense. Davidson's has 12 4 5/8" convertibles and 22 in the 5½" length. With the best street price of around $710 out the door. Not to mention that a local shop here has two of the flat-top convertibles for a little over $600. Sounds like stupidity at work to me.

http://www.galleryofguns.com/Genie/Default.aspx?item=5144

http://www.galleryofguns.com/Genie/Default.aspx?item=5141

OldePhart

Blackhawk
Most shilling on eBay is done early in the auction to kick the price up a bit and encourage people to bid. Shilling late in an auction and to such ridiculous prices would be a rookie trick that would end up costing the seller (the seller has to pay fees to eBay based on final value of sale). Both of the people in the bidding war were established accounts, so it's unlikely that they were "temporary" accounts for shilling.

Sometimes people start bidding on something and lose their minds. :) Happens at live auctions all the time but you'd think people would have more sense when they have hours and even days to decide what something is worth to them...

http://offer.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewBids&item=121654368330&rt=nc&_trksid=p2047675.l2565

Bid history shows that he started it at $150. Not a bad guy. I can't fault him. The BIDDERS ran it up to $600. Your rant against the seller is invalid. UNLESS you can PROVE shill bidding. eBay has numerious systems in place to make this very difficult and damn near impossible.

....and that boys and girls, is the epitome of the "pucker factor" 8)

"stupid is as stupid does........." :roll:

(run Forrest, run....................) :wink:

Today, Please do NOT forget those that gave it ALL....may they all rest in peace :(