How to satisfy curiosity? Bisley/birdhead/plow

Help Support Ruger Forum:

roylt

Hunter
So I have a blackhawk 357/9 that I have put a hunter grip frame on and also tried a hunter & bisley hammer.

I would also like to try a bisley & bird head grip frame to see if I like those types of grips better.

So here is the meat of my question. Would you suggest getting parts to fit to my blackhawk or look for a deal on a complete different pistol? I would want stainless to match my blackhawk.

Parts are about 200 bucks for each type. Where another pistol would be closer to $620 in hand.

Anyone with all three grip style care to comment I'm all ears.

Thanks,

P.S. A guy I work with told me this; if I buy parts I end up with a drawer full of stuff just sitting around but if I buy complete I can shoot that too. Of course he is paid a lot more than me soooo....

medicdave

Blackhawk
Cheapest is find some one close that would let you try one of there guns equipped with what you want to try. Next would be buying grip frames from midway, brownells, or Ruger. Midway lists the Bisley and birdshead for less than $110 each and you already have the three hammer designs Ruger offered. If you don't fit them to the frame and try them raw you could always resell them at cost. Third would be to buy a complete gun which you may or may not like, and then may or may not sell at a loss. You really do need to try them one way or the other to decide if you like them.

I like tinkering and have worked out what I prefer, but have no qualms about keeping a well stocked parts box and buying parts for future guns (or project guns for that matter if the price is right).

As for my personal preferences a plow handle and Bisley hammer usually wins out.

There's an occasional Bisley, but with a standard trigger as well, the curved trigger bites my finger pretty hard. Both of these wear Bear Paw grips which are a must for me to shoot a Bisley well.

I always found the birdshead to feel clunky on the origional vaquero, but bought a brass one because well it's brass and it feels a lot better with the thinner grips apt used to sell. This old model single six will be a 32 h&r shortly. Probably won't use the wor grips but they'll work for a template to make some a bit swankier.

A few parts patiently waiting for forever homes in the parts box.

Xr3-red short frame

Hunter frame with streaky buffalo horn grips

Brass xr3 red may have found a home on this flattop, juries still out. Both a gift from my brother by the way. Unmounted frame is the origional xr3 with an old set of sambar stag.

Another nifty gem waiting it's turn.

medicdave

Blackhawk
Not sure why the pics aren't showings ride to edit and same thing. If a mod can fix it have at it please.

Hondo44

Hawkeye
Dave,

Here are you photos:

medicdave said:
Cheapest is find some one close that would let you try one of there guns equipped with what you want to try. Next would be buying grip frames from midway, brownells, or Ruger. Midway lists the Bisley and birdshead for less than $110 each and you already have the three hammer designs Ruger offered. If you don't fit them to the frame and try them raw you could always resell them at cost. Third would be to buy a complete gun which you may or may not like, and then may or may not sell at a loss. You really do need to try them one way or the other to decide if you like them.

I like tinkering and have worked out what I prefer, but have no qualms about keeping a well stocked parts box and buying parts for future guns (or project guns for that matter if the price is right).

As for my personal preferences a plow handle and Bisley hammer usually wins out.

There's an occasional Bisley, but with a standard trigger as well, the curved trigger bites my finger pretty hard. Both of these wear Bear Paw grips which are a must for me to shoot a Bisley well.

I always found the birdshead to feel clunky on the origional vaquero, but bought a brass one because well it's brass and it feels a lot better with the thinner grips apt used to sell. This old model single six will be a 32 h&r shortly. Probably won't use the wor grips but they'll work for a template to make some a bit swankier.

A few parts patiently waiting for forever homes in the parts box.

Xr3-red short frame

Hunter frame with streaky buffalo horn grips

Brass xr3 red may have found a home on this flattop, juries still out. Both a gift from my brother by the way. Unmounted frame is the origional xr3 with an old set of sambar stag.

Another nifty gem waiting it's turn.

Hondo44

Hawkeye
roylt,

I agree with Dave. But also, if you decide to buy one to try or that you think is right for you, buy used. If you do decide to sell, it's much easier to recoup your investment or even make a buck.

medicdave

Blackhawk
Thanks Jim, shoot me a pm with what I did wrong if you would please.

Roylt,

I second Jim's advise on buying used if you buy a complete gun. Lots of good deals out there if your patient and keep a sharp eye out. Of the above guns only the flattop was bought new. Not a lot that can go wrong, or can't can't easily be fixed on a new model Ruger.

CraigC

Hawkeye
It's easier to sell parts than guns. If you don't fit the sides of the grip frame to the receiver, you won't lose any money on them either.

contender

Ruger Guru
I would try like the dickens to find some folks with guns & features you desire to try out. Maybe find a SASS match & visit. Cowboy shooters enjoy showing off their guns, AND will allow folks to try them. Of course, it will be with their powder puff loads, and with a RO watching, but heck it'll give you an idea of what you like.
I own all the variations you've mentioned. I have found I can enjoy each one for different reasons. For instance, I happen to like the birdshead for smaller calibers & easier concealment & packing. I also like the plowhandle for most of my general work. And the Bisley is great for handling the thumper loads.
My point is that only in your hands, will you find what works for you.

roylt

Hunter
Thanks for the replies.

Seems around here there isn't a lot of gun shops or places to shoot. Maybe I'll try putting up some sort of personal ad to "borrow" a pistol.

As for used, my taste always gets me in trouble. I like stainless and doesn't seem the used market favors that.

A single six bird head would be super nice.

BearBio

Buckeye
I have had all three. The "Bisley" (Ruger) tames recoil well. I had one with a 3.5" barrel that handled RUGER ONLY loads well. My 454 custom SBH isn't REAL comfortable but I doubt anything less than a 100-lb barrel weight would tame it. The birdsheads handle recoil the worst. I changed both of mine out. My 41 Long Colt, 45 Colt, and 38 Long Colt birdsheads are not comfortable in either double or single action (Colt models 1877 and 1878). REAL Bisleys (Colts) point better and are more accurate. Plow handles are in-between and most of my pistols have them.

Contender sums it up pretty well:

"I own all the variations you've mentioned. I have found I can enjoy each one for different reasons. For instance, I happen to like the birdshead for smaller calibers & easier concealment & packing. I also like the plowhandle for most of my general work. And the Bisley is great for handling the thumper loads.
My point is that only in your hands, will you find what works for you."

roylt

Hunter
Forgot to mention, I'll happily borrow from anyone here if you can figure a way to get it to me. ;)

Anyone in NE Iowa?

contender

Ruger Guru
Ok, here's an idea to think on.
We have a few different places around this country where there is a "gathering" of folks from the Ruger Forum. Why not plan a trip to one of these events, and ask the host(s) to see what guns are coming, or to request folks who don't mind to bring different stuff.
At my gathering here, I break out many different guns & such to let folks try. An easy way to find what you prefer, AND have a great time with like minded folks. I'm headed to Idaho in a little over a week from now to visit with sixshot, callshot, middleshot, & many others. We are driving out, and making a good vacation trip out of it. There will be all kinds of guns to play with out there!

roylt

Hunter
I'm a single Dad so have my kids most of the time but get held up by the fact the decree says Ex gets every Wed as a visit night. She is a bit of a pain and has yet to allow me to trade a day so I could possibly take a trip anywhere. Then there is the fact as a single parent I don't have a lot of play money / vacation from work. So most of all my vacation time is spent when the kids are home from school sick or don't have school. My gun habit is supported by reselling parts and or a pistol I didn't care for to make a buck or two. One of the reasons my projects take so long is because I have to save up cash to complete it.

I'm leaning toward buying parts and then I get to enjoy the tinkering time and if I don't like the end I can sell the parts off.

With all that said where does one find out about gatherings? Over the summer my ex gets more time and I may travel for work a little during this time. If I have a customer close to a gathering I may be able to make it work and have my boss pay for the hotel!!

Thanks,

contender

Ruger Guru
Ok, I understand your travel issues. Sorry to hear about how you are treated by your ex. But, in the long run, the kids are worth a lot more than guns.

As for gatherings, look in the Lounge. Generally there is a "sticky" at the top area with info. The one I'm going to is listed in the gallery I think, but it was low key compared to others. It's also listed on the single actions forum.
BUT,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,, here's an idea. While it may be a bit far, my gathering, held here in Western NC is usually held the first weekend in October. It's a short gathering, friday afternoon for some, saturday is the main day, & folks often leave sunday morning heading home. If you plan it, and it's a weekend your ex gets the kids,,,,,,,,,,, maybe,,,,,,,,,,,,?????????????

But, your idea about getting parts is also a way to try things. Just offering different ideas here.

roylt

Hunter
Thanks,

It is hard for me to do things for myself. My life revolves around my kids as it should but I do need to try to have a bit more adult time.

princeout

Blackhawk
Roylt,
I can loan you an unfitted birdshead and an unfitted Bisley gripframe. Might give you an idea about which you like better. Won't be as smooth on the hands as a fitted one. I think I have some spare Bisley grips too but pretty sure I don't have any spare birdshead grip panels. Only cost you the return shipping.
Let me know.
Tim

roylt

Hunter
Hi Tim,
That is a very nice offer. I will think about it for a bit and see if I can find some bird grips.

Curious, why do you have these parts?

roylt said:
Thanks,

It is hard for me to do things for myself. My life revolves around my kids as it should but I do need to try to have a bit more adult time.
How old are they? You could always bring them along. Never too young to start teaching them about firearms.

princeout

Blackhawk
roylt said:
Hi Tim,
That is a very nice offer. I will think about it for a bit and see if I can find some bird grips.

Curious, why do you have these parts?

So I can build whatever I want, whenever I want. Also, back a few years, Midway used to actually have good stuff in their "Clearance" section from time to time, i.e. Single Six Bisley hammers and other now extinct items.

Tim