Security Six RDA34 NIB with beautiful plum frame and hammer

Help Support Ruger Forum:

rugerrat

Single-Sixer
I found this beautiful model GA34 4" Security Six in a LGS not too long ago with a perfectly plum frame and hammer rib in NIB condition(Unfired). Following are some pictures:

Terry T

Buckeye
Hmmm....does it 'letter' with the big grips? It's an earlier one, pre-warning? (old eyes can't quite make it out in the photo :oops: )
Very nice, very clean with good color. Well done!
Terry T

rugerrat

Single-Sixer
Terry T said:
Hmmm....does it 'letter' with the big grips? It's an earlier one, pre-warning? (old eyes can't quite make it out in the photo :oops: )
Very nice, very clean with good color. Well done!
Terry T

I haven't lettered this Security-Six yet. Whenever I got it I just put it in the safe and I got ill and getting well took a long time so I just forgot about this revolver. I don't remember whether I had added the target grips or not? I'm pretty sure that you are right about this Six being an early one, but I'll have to dig it out of my safe to check it out because today I looked back over my records and I evidently had forgotten to write down it's serial number. I'm older now too and my eyes are not as good as they once were nor is my memory-especially my short term memory! Thanks for the compliment on the gun! You are correct that the coloring on the gun is exceptional.

Zebraranger

Single-Sixer
Being a big Security Six fan myself, you've definitely found a beauty. I was just curious, is it going to be a safe queen, or do you think that you will ever decide to shoot it? The reason that I ask is that I too have an unfired 2-3/4" Stainless Security six and now a few year later, I'm still trying to decide myself. It hasn't been hard in my case, I have plenty of other revolvers that are my shooters, including a 4" SS that is a regular shooter. But just about every time I take it out of the safe, its still tempting. Again, a really gorgeous gun.

rugerrat

Single-Sixer
Zebraranger said:
Being a big Security Six fan myself, you've definitely found a beauty. I was just curious, is it going to be a safe queen, or do you think that you will ever decide to shoot it? The reason that I ask is that I too have an unfired 2-3/4" Stainless Security six and now a few year later, I'm still trying to decide myself. It hasn't been hard in my case, I have plenty of other revolvers that are my shooters, including a 4" SS that is a regular shooter. But just about every time I take it out of the safe, its still tempting. Again, a really gorgeous gun.

Thanks for the compliment! No I plan to keep this gem as a safe queen as I have a stainless Speed Six that I can shoot and some other revolvers. I also have a NIB 2-3/4" stainless Security Six that was the second Security Six that I had purchased 13 years ago yet I still have not felt like firing this revolver. Ever since I was a kid I have always striven to keep my things in pristine condition and because this is still in my blood I guess I am not going to change. Although I have a near mint blue 1985 4" Security Six that I have been considering to shoot because of it having a small rub mark on one side of the cylinder but I have not made a decision to do this yet? Following are a few pictures of this Security Six:

rugerrat

Single-Sixer
OldRugerMan said:
Nice revolver! If it is in the original box it should say BIG GRIP on the end label.

Yes you are correct regarding how the label would be marked for the BIG GRIP. But despite not having written the serial number down from this Security-Six and because it's been buried in my safe for awhile is the reason I couldn't give the specifics on this gun but, I'm pretty certain that it is an early one several years before the BIG GRIP had come into being around 1978-79. Unfortunately I didn't receive the box with this Security Six when I had purchased it.

Terry T

Buckeye
Your 1985 piece has the very late barrel profile (ejector rod housing) and may be one of the first with that profile. The Security Six was discontinued before the Service Six and Speed Six because of the introduction of the GP-100. The fixed sight GP-100s were introduced after the adj. models.
In other words, I don't think very many of that very late barrel profile are out there. Maybe not "rare" but not common, either.
Terry T

rugerrat

Single-Sixer
Terry T:

Yes, for all of the reasons that you've given above is why I was serious about buying this 1985 Security-Six despite the minor rub mark on the cylinder as I knew that it was going to be unlikely for me to find another specimen like this one. Besides I didn't have another 1985 vintage Security Six in my collection yet! The serial number of this SS is 161-62444 and it falls into late 1985. Thanks for your comments!

rugerrat

Single-Sixer
I finally found the plum RDA34 Security Six in the back of my safe this morning and I found it to be a pre warning gun with a serial number of 152-88209 which places it in 1977.

rugerrat

Single-Sixer
Terry T said:
Rugerrat,
Hmmm....look at that ser. no. again. Not matching the other data.
Terry T

Oops you are right as I had mistakenly posted the 161 serial number prefix of the 1985 Security six-thus the correct serial number is 152-88209. Thanks for calling this to my attention! I have also corrected this error in my prior posting above.

Terry T

Buckeye
You're quite welcome. I am also continually frustrated that my keyboard does not seem to know what is in my mind!
Terry T

protoolman

Service-Sixer
rugerat what are the smooth grips pictured on the second gun. I have a pair of those in my collection but never knew if they were factory or ordered custom from Lett?

rugerrat

Single-Sixer
protoolman said:
rugerat what are the smooth grips pictured on the second gun. I have a pair of those in my collection but never knew if they were factory or ordered custom from Lett?

Ruger offered those grips on the 1985 Security Six from the factory. Back then I ordered a couple of sets of these before I ever had a 1985 Security Six just to have them on hand.

chet15

Hawkeye
I don't believe the Target grip on that 152- prefix gun will letter that way.
As I remember, those came out about the beginning of the 156- prefix or so and were used on the Security-Six in the PMA Sec. 6/Redhawk set.
Chet15