.44 Mag shooting wax?

Help Support Ruger Forum:

Bucks Owin

Hunter
Thats backwards George...Press the unprimed case through the wax cake so trapped air can vent through the flash hole. THEN fresh primers are inserted... :wink:

OldePhart

Blackhawk
Hey...with a .44 mag you can shoot anything you want to... :)

Seriously, though, this article is priceless http://www.americanrifleman.org/articles/2010/4/12/how-to-make-and-reload-wax-bullets/

BTW, I can't claim credit for this...somebody else right in these forums referenced it and I bookmarked it. :)

John

Chuck 100 yd

Hunter
Be sure you don't double charge them. When using an invisible powder charge it is easy to do. Kinda like a truck load of post holes.
Seriously, you may find that the flash hole needs to be drilled oversize and/or magnum primers needed to get any velocity out of them due to the large case volume. Have fun!

Rainy Day Shooter

Single-Sixer
Mark your cases and drill out the flash holes in each so your revolver will rotate. Otherwise the primers will set back and jam the works.

George

Blackhawk
I must be missing something. I should drill out the .44 primers with a 1/8" drill then press the case in the wax then prim the case "I'll buy a cheap hand priming tool" and prime the cases.. This is what I'm missing. Why would the primer jam the gun if it don't using a factory load.. I never hand loaded before so I don't know. What am I missing? George

98Redline

Blackhawk
When the primer is ignited, the pressure in the primer pocket, trying to force it's way through the tiny little flash hole, will build enough pressure to partially push the primer back out of the pocket (normally till it gets stopped on the recoil shield). Drilling the flash hole out allows this gas to escape into the actual empty space of the cartridge and push out your wax or hot glue bullet without the primer setback issue.

This does not happen on a loaded round because when the main charge goes off, it pushes the entire case back against the recoil shield and reseats the primer.

98Redline

Blackhawk
I would start with the large pistol primers and see if you are getting the velocity you want.
If it is too slow or you are lodging wax or hot melt bullets in the barrel you could try some mag primers, but I doubt you will need them.