To refinish or not: 72 SBH grip frame

Help Support Ruger Forum:

bczrx

Single-Sixer
Just put a '72 OM SBH into the 10-day wait period. uncoverted 3 screw!:D

It looks to be in great shape-except the grip frame.

The back strap of the grip frame is very discolored: the finish is worn until it is a pretty uniform grey.

This is a 1972 model. My instinct is that it doesn't have the highest collectors value.

My goal is to have it as a 'shooter'. Retail sales down the road are not what drive me, but my own overall happiness.

Out of respect for the gun, I have left my 1940s handguns in their original finish [Star B and High Standard HD Military].

This one looks VERY VERY sharp, with almost no other discolorations I can remember, except on the backstrap of the grip frame.

SO-how bad is it for me to refinish the grip-frame? Thanks!

Rainy Day Shooter

Single-Sixer
If you're not looking to move it later do what makes you happy. If it were mine and I was planning to keep it I would blast the grip frame and Gun-Kote it. Whatever you do; take the time to do the job well!

Bearcat

Blackhawk
If you just want to even out the finish, my approach would be to remove the grips, tape off the rest of the revolver, and hit it with several fine coats of this for about $4....

http://www.homedepot.com/p/Rust-Oleum-Stops-Rust-12-oz-Black-Protective-Enamel-Gloss-Spray-Paint-7779830/202315069?N=5yc1vZapz5

Latest posts