Ruger New Bearcat Hammerspring Replacement Problems

Help Support Ruger Forum:

Bolgios

Bearcat
I bought the low-power Ruger New Bearcat Wolff's Hammerspring replacement pack. I have been unable to get the lower powered hammersprings to fit onto the bar they cover. I had to put the original back on, and I want the lower power instead.

How do I get it to fit? Same amount of coils, but takes up too much extra space. Can I clip off the spring until the uncompressed spring is the same size as the current stock hammerspring? Is this possible and still allow it to fire? :oops:

Bolgios

Bearcat
Chuck 100 yd said:
Must not be the correct part. Give Wolff a call.

It's the right part. It's just that I think the spring needs to be fitted. I'll tell you what tho-I bought it from from midway, I'll call wolff's monday and see what they say. Good idea, like RTFM, except "call the manufacturer"!

Hondo44

Hawkeye
Once you determine it's the correct spring, here's 3 easy ways to replace hammer spring and spring perch: http://www.cylindersmith.com/Ruger-spring.html

At this site are 3 excellent methods for removing the 'capture' pin from the strut once it's out of the gun, and reinstalling the spring with to change/install the perch. Hondo44
When you install or remove the hammer spring and strut from the grip frame, it's always easier with the cylinder removed because the hammer will move farther back.
Remember on Bearcats that the spring perch goes below the 'capture' pin.

Chuck 100 yd

Hunter
If it is a reduced power replacement for the factory spring you surely would not want to shorten it. Reduced power springs for rim fire guns are on the ragged edge of not having enough strength to be sure fire already. Surely you would have misfires or no fires at all. It takes a good strike to make a rim fire handgun dependable.
Good luck.