Got the Hots for a GP-100 ...

Help Support Ruger Forum:

jack

Single-Sixer
Anyone here own GP-100's "and" SP-101's? I already have two SP's, but keep trying to convince myself a GP-100 would be ssoooooooooo much better? :mrgreen: Comments please. :idea:

Chuck 100 yd

Hunter
I have both, three SP's and five GP's the GP is easer to shoot and much more accurate as expected. They are designed for different purposes but often are used for the same tasks. You could say I like both but for anything other than concealed carry,it's the GP that goes with me.

CaptBullets

Bearcat
I've got 1 SP and 2 GPs. Like them both. The SP is a stainless 2" and the 2 GPs are a blued 4" and a stainless 3" WC edition. The SP is the daily carry revolver. I use the GPs for either IDPA, training classes or the occasional woods walking gun.

The only things that I found that are really better on the GP vs the SP are 1) adjustable sights on the GP vs the fixed sights on the SP. Well at least when I bought my SP there were only fixed sights ones available. 2) The GP handles the recoil better on heavy or hot 357 Magnum loads.

If ya got the funds to afford a GP, then I say go get a GP too. You'll enjoy it for sure.

Brian

eveled

Hawkeye
I own both, my opinion is the GP is the better gun. The SP is too big for pocket carry and requires a good holster/belt. You might as well carry the GP, in a good holster.

Hard to beat a GP if you intend to do a LOT of shooting. I prefer the half-lug versions with adjustable sights, although I do like my 4" stainless fixed sight .38, too.

If I were to buy another 6", I'd have it converted to half-lug like my old blue one. Prefer both the looks and the balance.

Get one; I'd say they are the best full-sized .357 ever made and I've had K and L frame Smiths, still have my old Trooper, sold my Python, and have had a bunch of .357 SAs, too, including an original .357 Ruger Bisley w/7 1/2" barrel (Now that is really a RIFLE!).

32magfan

Blackhawk
I have both but only two of the three GP100s are in 357 - a 3" fixed sight and a Match Champion. The other is a 327 7-shot. My SP101s are a 9mm, 2" .22 six shot, 4" .22 six shot, 3" 32H&R, and two in 327 - a 3" and the new 4" with fiber optic front sight. I like Ruger guns in general but I have more single actions. I came to the GPs late and I should have jumped in sooner. They are really nice guns. I really like the Match Champion.

Thanks,

32Magfan

Slyk Willy

Single-Sixer
Love the GP100 357 6" s/s. oh yeah. I've held and clicked the SP, but don't own one. but it seems as though it's equally well made.

Bob R

Single-Sixer
I have a 2.25" and a 3" SP101 in 357. I have also had a 2.25" 9mm, and a 2.25" 38 Special over the years. I will probably add a 22 one of these days.

I also have a pair of 3" Adjustable sight GP100's in 38 Special, as well as a Blued 6" GP100. All of my GP100's have Marble Fiber Optic front sights.
As was said above they have different purposes, however I do conceal carry my 3" GP100's quite a bit.
My 6" GP100 is mostly a Match Pistol for ICORE, Defensive Pistol, and Reactive Steel. However I have been throwing it in the truck quite a bit when I am not concealed carrying for snakes, and such.

Which GP100 to get????
You have the 3" Fixed Sight, and 3", 4", 5", and 6" Adjustable sight versions. You have Blued and Stainless, as well as other variations that show up now and again. (Half Lugs, Fixed Sight 4" etc.)
For Hunting, and Range Plinking a 6" is not bad. You can add a Weigand Base and an UltraDot30, or a low power scope if desired.
For general woods carry the 4" and 5" will work fine.
If you plan to conceal carry it, 3" would be at the top of the list.
You can still find the Willy Clap 3", my local dealer has 2 blued ones in the display case.
Then we have the Match Champion. I will probably add a Match Champion as my next Ruger GP100 purchase.

I do not believe I could pick a favorite, I have a use for each of them.

Good Luck
Bob

GhosT

Blackhawk
Sir Jack,
Own a highly modified 2 1/4" SP101......ported ,laser grips etc.
Also own a 6" GP100 !

Both fire 357s,
Both rock,but for different reasons.

My SP101 is 5 rounds of "will save yer ass" at close to mid range.
Ya own two, so no need to describe how good they are.

My 6" GP100....
It takes the .357 round to a whole new level.

Had a stainless 6" COLT PYTHON that everybody drooled over for years. (IT WAS VERY COOL)
After the 3rd time I had to send it back to Colt,I traded it in for my GP100.

Maybe I got lucky, but my GP100 was easily as accurate as my Python.
And Ruger's stainless steel resisted rusting WAY BETTER than the Colt.

That was over a decade ago,and still love and trust my GP100 to hit where I aim HARD and ACCURATE.

Owned ALOT OF GUNS since 1979, Now down to a select dozen+...
Most have a certain purpose they do well,but.....
If I was limited to keeping just one.....It would be my GP100......

Zebraranger

Single-Sixer
I have one of each and both are equally well made with years of use and never any issues with either. For my hand size, the SP could use some slightly bigger grips though.
A photo of my match set.

Shameless plug on my part:
I currently have 2 GP100s for sale in the classifieds. 3" .38 +P and 6" half lug .357 Mag.

I also love the GP100's, and have a small collection of them (9) including some that were sold to the NYCPD. I like the way they feel in my hand and how they can be slicked up very easily to shoot much nicer. In fact, when I was shooting PPC, I built a PPC gun from a GP100 where the conventional wisdom was to use a Smith Model 10. I got a lot of praise after I let some really good PPC shooters try it.

NewportNewsMike

Single-Sixer
Here's another GP fan chiming in.

Over the years, I have owned and traded a number of SP-101's. I still have the first GP-100 I purchased: a 4-inch adjustable sighted model.

I have also added a 3-inch GP-100 with fixed sights.

The SP-101's seem to "wander" off, but I hang on to the GP's.

The GP-100 just got better this week - it seems Ruger is once again producing the COMPACT GP-100 grips like originally used on the GP-100, 3-inch, fixed sight models. No longer must the GP-100 wear those HUGE Hogue Monogrips things.

The COMPACT grip is my favorite on both the 3 and 4 inch models. Never had a 6-inch GP so I cannot speak to that one.

brushunter

Single-Sixer
Own both , 6" half lug, 100 and a new 4" SP in .357. The SP got springs and a Hogue wood grip , now its really a nice shooter. The 6" has Hogue Tamer grips .....it handles hot stuff very nicely.

regards, brushunter