GP100 and Wolf shooter pack ??

Help Support Ruger Forum:

roylt

Hunter
So all you GP nuts with experience, which springs did you end up installing and using?

Thanks,

foytfoyt

Bearcat
roylt said:
So all you GP nuts with experience, which springs did you end up installing and using?

Thanks,

I made a similar comment with respect to a SP101 string, but in any case, I believe you just have to try it with your gun.

I say this because I have two SRH's, built in the same year, using the same ammo, and they ended up with different springs from Shooter Packs for reliable ignition.

Wolff does a nice job of selecting springs, any of which might end up being the one best suited for your individual sample (gun), with it's individual friction characteristics.

s4s4u

Hunter
I couldn't get consistant ignition with the 9, but the 10# hammer spring works great. Left the trigger return spring alone.

roylt

Hunter
I am typically a "the factory knows best" kind of guy but I felt the difference between mine and another at the range and it is very different feel with the shooter pack installed.

So I don't know anything about this really but plan to find out. I like to get educated before just taking a stab at it.

Thanks for the replies so far and keep them coming.

Chuckbuster II

Single-Sixer
You might contact Lance at Triggershims.com about his stuff also. Not sure what effect it would have on your GP100 but we did nothing but install his shims in my SRH .480 and the SA trigger pull went from a scratchy 6-10 pounds (yes that much variance) to a consistent clean 4-4.5# which is just fine for me for hunting.

Pretty sure you can get the Wolff kits through him at the same time, help a RF Member out. and save some yourself on postage etc.

Kevin

22/45 Fan

Hunter
I installed the 12 pound main spring and the only lighter (8 pound) trigger return in Wolff's kit. They improved the double action pull noticeably and ignition has been 100%. Maybe a lighter hammers spring would work but I'm satisfied the way it is.

DukeMinski

Bearcat
Got the "Shooter's Pack" with 12#, 10#, and 9# main springs.
The 12# went into my 4" GP100.
The 10# went into my 2" SP101.
The 9# went into my GF's 3" SP101.
Left the factory trigger return springs in place.
Very happy with the results.

s4s4u

Hunter
Very happy with the results.

Good to hear. Make sure your GF runs a bunch of rounds through her SP with that 9#er in there. My GeeP ran fine at first with that spring but I think when it took a set it lost a little. Could barely notice a difference on the trigger when I put the 10 in, but then this gun is well used so it's smoothed itself out some.

22/45 Fan

Hunter
DukeMinski said:
Left the factory trigger return springs in place.
I found the lighter trigger return spring made a noticeable improvement in the double action pull and gives no problems with adequate trigger return. I think it's a worthwhile change.

In the past, the Wolff kits included a couple of even lighter trigger return springs than the current 8-pound one but, apparently they did cause reliability problems.

s4s4u

Hunter
I prefer a quick reset so I left the return spring alone, have even considered putting in a heavier one. Smoothing out of the internals is a better option IMO, and that will happen over time with use.

Thel

Blackhawk
I agree with FoytFoyt. Only way to see is to try the various springs. Right now have the 8 lb trigger return and 9 lb hammer spring in. Gun has been tuned and smoothed and DA is about 7.4 lbs, SA 2.5. Down the line probably put in the 10 or 11 lb mainspring as will be moving to a colder climate and also to allow for trigger set.

"Could barely notice a difference on the trigger when I put the 10 in, but then this gun is well used so it's smoothed itself out some."

Due to the leverage in the action the 1 lb difference in the spring probably translates into less than 1/2 lb of pull in double action and less in single.

DukeMinski

Bearcat
s4s4u = She's probably put 250-300 rounds thru the SP101 since installing the 9# main spring.
She has not mentioned any 'drop off' in the trigger pull.
However, I'll ask her the next time we shoot.

22/45 Fan = I have not tried to switch out the trigger springs. How difficult is that?
I may give it a try on my GP100 (or my DAO SP101) -and- on the GF's SP101 to see if it makes a difference in the DA feel.

Would the 8# trigger spring change the distinct 'stage' feel in DA?
In other words, would I lose the distinct last 'click' before the hammer lets go?

22/45 Fan

Hunter
DukeMinski said:
22/45 Fan = I have not tried to switch out the trigger springs. How difficult is that?
I may give it a try on my GP100 (or my DAO SP101) -and- on the GF's SP101 to see if it makes a difference in the DA feel.

In other words, would I lose the distinct last 'click' before the hammer lets go?

The trigger spring is pretty easy to change and the 8 # spring does not change or interfere with "staging" the trigger before let off.

brushunter

Single-Sixer
DukeMinski said:
s4s4u22/45 Fan = I have not tried to switch out the trigger springs. How difficult is that?

May I offer some advice ...just changed mine a few days ago. While changing the trigger spring or latch spring as Ruger calls it , I had the trigger assembly tipped on it side. Not realizing it , the pin that holds everything together fell out. The entire trigger assembly fell apart in a pile on my loading bench ........ :? . After printing several schematics and patiently piecing everything back together ... bottom line be careful the pins don't fall out ........

Oh and BTW ...after putting in the 8# trigger spring and trying it ...I ended up putting the oem spring back in. Almost felt as though the trigger wasn't going to reset with the 8 #er. Think a good buffing and smoothing out is in order. Not ready to tackle that yet.

regards , brushunter

roylt

Hunter
Went with the litest set and will see what happens. While it was apart I buffed / polished it out too. High gloss look now.

Lonnie

Bearcat
DukeMinski said:

It definitely softened it up on mine! I ended up using the 9#.