USED Blackhawks in 4 5/8" for A Bucket Gun....How Much??

Help Support Ruger Forum:

Nalapombu

Bearcat
Hey all,

One of my Bucket List guns is a Ruger Blackhawk customized by Andy Horvath in Ohio into one of his Lil' Ruger pistols. I would likely want a 45 caliber so I could get a 45acp cylinder for it.

When it is completed I would want it to have the 4 inch barrel with that reduced grip he does as well as an action job. I would want to start with a 4 5/8 inch Blackhawk because I would likely have to do it in stages instead of all at once. I could have the grip work done along with an action job and then wait till my "play funds" were built back up and then have the last 5/8" cut off and crowned or maybe even go a little shorter than that.

I think it would be a perfect pistol to put on my belt while I bowhunt hogs here in Texas. It is also legal to take the hogs with any legal means.....which includes a handgun. That is also something I have wanted to do for a very long time, hunt with a handgun.

I'd like to know what kind of prices are out there on USED Blackhawks that I could pick up and get this project rolling with. I can't buy it right this second, I am looking at my Birthday in July. What a nice present for myself, I think.
What prices have you all been seeing on these revolvers lately?

Has anyone else had your Blackhawk turned into one of the Lil' Rugers from Horvath? I'd really like hearing about them and what you think after handling and shooting it.

Reeder also has a similar package that can give nearly the same results. Anyone went this route for their Blackhawk custom?

Any info you can give and help me with would be appreciated.

Thanks for your time.

Nalajr

As far as "donor guns" are concerned, even a "beater" Old Model can be "parted out" for $300 if done so carefully. This impacts prices on complete although "experienced" guns.

Just an observation.

Good luck with your project.

:)

Nalapombu

Bearcat
Thank you all for the info. I didn't think they'd be going for that much. Looks like a lot of shooters out there love these Blackhawks!!

Nalajr

CraigC

Hawkeye
I've been wanting to do something similar with an Old Model .357 that I would like to have Horvath do into a 4" .45ACP.

Nalapombu said:
...I would likely have to do it in stages instead of all at once. I could have the grip work done along with an action job and then wait till my "play funds" were built back up and then have the last 5/8" cut off and crowned or maybe even go a little shorter than that.
You'd be far better off to do it all at once. One consideration being the high cost of shipping.

George

Blackhawk
Do you have a love for the .45? I sure do but I got a Shorty .44mag. I wonder if this could save you some money in the long run? Barrel is 3 3/4" already! Just a thought.. Going price late last year was $640 and factory loads go from lite
to wild! Love mine. Oh here is a short read.. http://www.americanrifleman.org/articles/2014/4/11/lipseys-exclusive-ruger-bisley-super-blackhawk-44-mag/

George

Jim Puke

Hunter
As suggested, you would be FAR better off to have all of the work done at once.

You should be able to come up with a suitable Blackhawk in the $350 range...just have to turn over some rocks...hit pawn shops and small gun shows.

Also, you will find a .44 a lot quicker as there are a LOT more of them, than the .45.

George said:
Do you have a love for the .45? I sure do but I got a Shorty .44mag. I wonder if this could save you some money in the long run? Barrel is 3 3/4" already! Just a thought.. Going price late last year was $640 and factory loads go from lite
to wild! Love mine. Oh here is a short read.. http://www.americanrifleman.org/articles/2014/4/11/lipseys-exclusive-ruger-bisley-super-blackhawk-44-mag/

George

These are wonderful handguns and are available in Bisley and the standard plow handle. I have both. I think the Bisley may be a little more difficult to find but they are both available. Save yourself a lot of money here.

BearBio

Buckeye
When I first started with SASS, I got a pair of birdsheads in 45. Didn't like the grips, so I swapped them. One got a Bisley grip. That controlled Ruger Only loads quite well. Unfortunately, I sold it. The other got a "plow handle" grip and I still have it (pictures of both below). Great packing guns here in bear country.

Caveat: I found that a 4 5/8 Blackhawk carries just as well in the field.

dakota1911

Buckeye
I see nice used examples in the $400-500 area down here, and those are convertibles, so you would have the second cylinder. I sort of collect convertibles and have been keeping my eyes open for a used 357-9mm. Have one I want to keep that way and will probably buy the new Lipsey 357/9mm flat top. Still I want a 10mm/40 S&W and would like it in 4 & 5/8. I waffle between a 9mm/357 convertible and sending it to Reeder or someone else and having a 10mm/40S&W made or paying for an old Buckeye in 10mm/38-40 and having the barrel wacked and a third 40 S&W cylinder added. Anyway that is why I take note of the prices and I guess a picture of a couple Blackhawk convertibles.