Service Six lanyard ring

Help Support Ruger Forum:

LMLarsen

Bearcat
I decided to add a lanyard ring to my old round-butt Service Six. With the serial number on the bottom of the grip, the traditional location was problematic. Hamilton Bowen offers a ring that replaces the grip screw for Hogue rubber grips, but nothing for wood Hogues, however he does also offer rings with blank shaft that can be machined to fit them.

Since I added a nice checkered wood Hogue awhile ago, I called him and ordered one of these in stainless and sent it to my friend Caleb Rutledge of Santee Precision in Colorado, along with the original Hogue screw.

Caleb trimmed, turned, and threaded the shaft to replace the screw, and below is the result. He also turned a shoulder at the base of the ring to fit the recess in the grip, and finished the shaft to be square with the revolver when it was tightened.

I'm very happy with the result! This is not the first outstanding work that Caleb has done for me, and certainly will not be the last. Now I just need to choose a lanyard for my hikes thru our nearby National Forest and any long-overdue fishing trips.

Service%20Six%20Ring_zpsc0vmfqhs.jpg

BKDinTexas

Bearcat
Very nice. I have gone with the stainless Hogue Lanyard grip screws myself. Looks classy there.