Redhawk question

Help Support Ruger Forum:

txbandit

Bearcat
I have one and find it a joy to shoot with all but the heaviest of loads.
Probably have less than 100 rounds through it but hope to change that as I have more time to get out.

stevelutah

Bearcat
No,

I do not have one yet. I have the other three 4.2, 5.5 & 7.5 w/rings. Thought I had that one nailed down. I must say the new one is a thing of beauty. I have handeld one at the counter and it felt good. Maybe eventually. But really with the shorter barrel I can't justify needing it at 44 oz empty. I can carry a 5 " 45acp+p and have more rounds for less weight for about the same effect. BTW the 4.2 is a good shooter. Less upward muzzle flip makes easy follow up shots.

All that said I still want one!

BKDinTexas

Bearcat
I bought one. It is pretty brutal with full house loads and hard to hold with both hands for all six rounds. Your support hand tends to just crawl off from the torque.

Mid-range and 44 Specials are great however. Even with barn burners the gun is accurate. If full house only loads are your choice, I recommend a shooting hand glove or gloves. So did Mr. Quinn on gunblast I believe.

Varminterror

Blackhawk
Love mine. Looking for some unique material to make my own grips, plus I've "upgraded" to a set of Meprolight tritium sights, a Wolff re-spring, 11degree forcing cone (cut + lapped), polished and shimmed internals, plus an extra bobbed DAO and extra bobbed/checker-topped hammer for fun. Working on a new holster for open EDC.

After picking up a Kodiak Backpacker, I was compelled to do something I almost NEVER do - which is sell a gun! I've never loved the Alaskan in 44mag, simply too much gun for the 44mag, whereas the Kodiak Backpacker Redhawk has all of the styling in all the right places to make the difference (I still have my 454 and 480R Alaskans, so don't worry!)

The grip neck, typical of any Redhawk, is small, which makes it challenging to control with my rather large mitts. Recoil with full-house 300grn loads is unpleasant, but manageable. I'm looking to add a T-grip for mine (or something there-like).

txbandit

Bearcat
I tried 300 gr. loads after shooting some 240's, once. Will reserve those for my full size RH.

If anyone knows where I might find one, I would appreciate the help. Been pretty scarce out West and I have been looking high and low. Or if any of you want to part with one that you have broken in and just don't like it, I would love to hear from you.