Newer Single Sevens - Still seeing the same issues?

Help Support Ruger Forum:

williamc

Single-Sixer
I've been considering replacing my beloved KNR-4 Single Six with a short barreled Single Seven. I think it'll be like taking an AC Ace and converting it into a Shelby Cobra!

I've pored through the many threads on the ups and downs of this platform. I'm wondering - were those "early production" issues, or is this an ongoing thing? Did Lipseys order another run of these revolvers from Ruger?

Nobody in my neck of the woods seems to carry one, so I'm mulling over buying one from an online retailer. I'd be able to inspect it and return it if I'm not happy, but before I go through the trouble I'd like to see if more recent experiences are different.

William

Cordite

Single-Sixer
My 5.5" Single Seven does not have any issues in loading / unloading. Not sure if the issues were spotty or a solid fix was made at some point during production.

>> Did Lipseys order another run of these revolvers from Ruger?
Jason at Lipsey's stated in another thread that they were on their third order of Single Sevens from Ruger but that may be old info. Pretty good sales numbers for a distributor special IMHO.

The usual suspects (Bud's, Impact, Kentucky Gun, etc.) have all three models in stock most of the time. The most popular one seems to be the 5.5" model.

I usually find .327 ammo using "www.gunbot.net" and order enough to make the shipping charge a small part of the total order. Surprising how a case of 1000 rounds doesn't last very long. Get some 32 H&R reloads at Georgia Arms ... fun to shoot those as well.

Cordite

buckheart

Bearcat
My 7 1/2 Single Seven has the loading and unloading issue and also has a misalignment of the main frame and the trigger guard right above the trigger. i should probably send it in for a fix.

I also have Single sevens in the other two lengths and neither one has any issues.

Which length was made as the first run?

Rclark

Hunter
The first one that came in for me last week had a loose front sight issue. This is from the latest batch. It was immediately sent back. Next one was fine and I brought it home. Gritty internals though and the ejector housing is a bit larger than the frame it butts up against so leaves maybe a 1/32'' edge raised up (not flush like I think it should be). Things like that I can fix though.... The cylinder throat dimensions are 'perfect' on this one and the cylinder gap is 'ok' at 0.007. Haven't had time to shoot it yet, but that is what I've found so far. Oh both have 5 1/2" barrels.

Lipseys had ~31 in stock as of a week or two ago...

I had the same concern, but ordered a 4.62 anyway. Serial number 816-03307 is set up pefectly. The loading gate shows nice functonal clearance and is not oversized or undersized.
The throats all measure .314, and the bore slugs as it should. The cylinder gap is .002. The gun is tight and cosmetically nice in every respect except the curious choice of grips.
I found some black checkered Old Army grips to put on it for a much better feel and appearance. I am still breaking in the bore, but I beleive it will shoot well.

I have three SP 101s and only one of them did not have to go back for barrel indexing or unequl throats.

I have an old .32 HRM and the bore is oversize with undersized and unequal throats.....doesn't shoot anything well yet. I have ordered a .32 forcing cone guage from Brownell to check all these guns out a little further before ordering or doing any work on them.

I love the cartridge obviously and now the guns that are made for it.

buckheart

Bearcat
Got my single 7 back today from New Hampshire. cylinder now lines up perfectly for loading and unloading. Will have to wait until Saturday to see if the base pin jump issue was resolved but I am confident they got that fixed too. 7 business days turn around time for the repair. Typical Ruger great service.

dougader

Hunter
I got a 4.62" model not too long ago. It shoots great, the loading is a little tight but if you line up the cylinder just before the "click" then the cartridges fall right into the cylinder.

The factory Speer 115 GD's average 1506 fps from the short barrel. That's 579 ft lbs of muzzle energy. Quite the little pocket rocket.

I ran some 120-121 grain hard cast FNGC bullets through it with 8.5 grains of Blue Dot and they ran 1283 fps for the 7 round average for 439 ft lbs ME.

100 grain xtp's had a wide extreme spread of 106 fps... may do better with a different powder but I'm liking the heavier bullets so far.

Oh, and recoil was no issue at all. The little Single 7 was a dream to shoot.

Chuck 100 yd

Hunter
I pad went wild and made duplicate posts. Sorry guys I can't deleat them.
I am a moderator over on Leverguns forum and that forum allows easy delete.

Chuck 100 yd

Hunter
I tested the 100 gr. XTP's with 4227 and 2400 using three different types and three different brands of primers. Extreme spreads can be all over the place or very good depending on the primer brand and type. After shooting for groups and chrono graphing a couple hundred rounds using the 100 gr. XTP, I settled on the CCI small pistol magnum for both powders. I do not go for maximum loads. If I want more power,I go to a bigger gun.

As far as reloading... I have zero experience with the longer Magnum but I've been loading hot .32 H&R Mag for my Single Six for many years. In the shorter case and going for max velocity, I've had the best results with AA #7. I expect it would work well in the longer case as well. Certainly worth trying.

Gregg

Chuck 100 yd

Hunter
Jimbo,the last one did have the option to deleat,BUT, when I tried to deleat it said the post does not exist. I tried several times to deleat but all of them still were there. I even logged off and back on to try to make it work but all the duplicate posts were still there. Confused in Ridgefield.

AKDRSS

Single-Sixer
My .327 had to go back to Ruger last week. The biggest problem was the rear sight was cranked the entire way to the left and the revolver still shoot's to the right. It also had the loading issue.
Ruger does seem to have an outstanding warranty program. But, they really need to do a better job of QC before sending out their products.

Hondo44

Hawkeye
dougader said:
.....the loading is a little tight but if you line up the cylinder just before the "click" then the cartridges fall right into the cylinder.

The loading trough sizes seem to vary a bit, and a little relieving of the right side of the loading trough will cure that. But not worth sending back for when there are no other issues. A Dremel tool with the right size grinding wheel, then a polishing wheel is an extremely easy fix for this, especially since no blue touch up is needed.

edlmann

Blackhawk
buckheart said:
Will have to wait until Saturday to see if the base pin jump issue was resolved . . .
That's a problem in more stout calibers, but sounds unusual in a .32. Wolff makes an extra-power spring which helps, or the fit between the catch and the base pin may be off.

buckheart

Bearcat
edlmann said:
buckheart said:
Will have to wait until Saturday to see if the base pin jump issue was resolved . . .
That's a problem in more stout calibers, but sounds unusual in a .32. Wolff makes an extra-power spring which helps, or the fit between the catch and the base pin may be off.

What ever the problem was it's been fixed. No more base pin jump.

mohavesam

Hawkeye
Just sharp (VERY sharp) edges that required rework on my 5.5" made March 2015. I don't repair new guns, I send 'em back. With Rugers of late, almost every new gun has issues. Not looking nor expecting a Ruger to be "Python quality". But I require workmanship if not craftmanship from Ruger employees.
Unfortunately Ruger still tries to "inspect quality" into their guns, instead of building quality into them. Its a 20th-century manufacturing model they just cannot move past... :(