Finally got the OM SS 1972 worked out

Help Support Ruger Forum:

JPGLSG

Blackhawk
103,,,,,That is one nice six shooter !!!! The grips are just over the top.

Hondo44

Hawkeye
Your gun looks great, especially with that nice set of elk antler grips!

The only steel grip frames that are a drop in for old models are the Ruger old Army; any year stainless and after 1985 for blue steel. They have a wide trigger slot which may not bother you. But get the ROA/Super Blackhawk wide trigger too if you want to fill the slot. They are both XR3-RED grip frames so your new grips will fit.
Or an old model SBH dragoon grip will drop in as well, but won't fit your grips.

They are a little hard to find however. But you can find a new model XR3-RED size much easier. But you'll have to get an adapter trigger to work with the new model trigger return spring mounted in the grip frame.

Old model 357 with ROA stainless steel grip frame:
orig.jpg

THINGS TO KNOW ABOUT GRIP FRAME SWAPS:
In general: All Ruger SA grip frames including SBH Dragoon, Old Army, Bisley and Birdshead (excluding Bearcats of course) will interchange from the standpoint of the screw pattern from Single Six to Super BH, Old Model to New Model, and even NM to OM.

All the screws, mainspring/spring seat/strut, and grip pin can be transferred over from your OM Grip Frame.

THE ONLY ADAPTATION NEEDED IS THE TRIGGER AND RETURN SPRING, the easiest option is:

You can use the NM trigger return spring on old model guns with a Clements adapter trigger. This is the easiest way and the trigger is wide to fit the wide trigger slot in all NM grip frames. You'll also need the NM trigger return spring and two pins (shown lower down) to use a Clements trigger:
___________________________Clements adapter triggers are the center two_________________________
OM trigger__________________standard____&____Bisley w/over travel stop__________________NM Bisley

large.jpg

They are $45 and are a 'drop in'. http://www.clementscustomguns.com/

The OM Super BH/ruger old Army wide triggers will fill the wide slot in the NM GF, but hard to find and more than $45 if you do. You'll need to adapt it with one of the methods below:
orig.jpg

1. You can make a simple adapter for the old model trigger return spring to fit in the NM GF behind the old model trigger but most don't.
orig.jpg

2. Or just place the old model trigger return spring and plunger in an empty 22 LR case with the NM spring retaining pin shown here closest to the main frame:
IMG_1399_zps09554883.jpg

THE GRIP FRAME EARS:
NM & Bisley grip frames will need fitting to match the grip frame 'ears' to the OM main frame.
Below are photos of the ears around the base of the hammer To simplify production in about 1997, Ruger increased the height of the standard cylinder frame mating surfaces 1/16" on both sides of the hammer to match the Bisley model frame ears so any style grip frame could be assembled to any main frame. All the Bisley GFs have tall ears. When you match the GF ears to your OM frame you can match them to the base of the hammer at the same and get a nice flush fit. A new model steel grip frame from prior to 1997 will fit the best on an old model gun.

orig.jpg

orig.jpg

Any questions, just ask. Hope this is helpful,

jstanfield103

Blackhawk
Hondo44, Love all you're posts and thanks for the help. I did not realize, heck maybe the old grip frame ( which is in really good shape ) isn't so bad.
Thanks Hondo

jstanfield103

Blackhawk
Some times I do not know when to leave things alone and some times when I don't they turn out worse than they started. Part of the learning process, and I just can not help my self sometimes. I think this is just fine after reading you're post best left the way it is.
Thanks Hondo