My question to a Ruger seller on GB

Help Support Ruger Forum:

http://www.gunbroker.com/Auction/ViewItem.aspx?Item=479508938

Saw this and read the description (very misleading and not factual) so I had to ask them a question:

"Could you please explain to me how you determined that this was a gun that Ruger sold to the NYCPD? I am a Ruger Security, Speed and Police Service Six series collector and am always looking for the rare and unique guns that Ruger sold to various police departments. Before I bid on this gun, I need absolute proof that this gun was sold, by Ruger, to the NYCPD."

The s/n shown on the box is outside the s/n range of the NYCPD Sixes and as far as I know, all the NYCPD Sixes were bobbed hammers.

If (if) I get an answer, I'll let you know what they said and any rebuttal on my part.

What do you think, should I just have kept my mouth shut and let someone possibly overpay for a gun because of the misleading ad?

toroflow

Single-Sixer
My bet is that he won't answer your question. And unlike Auction Arms, the question does not get posted to the auction ad, so any other folks looking at the auction won't see your question, unless the seller posts an answer. Buyer beware they say!

Terry T

Buckeye
I'd be more inclined to say that he's mixing his 'facts' up a bit and only implying it's a NYCPD gun or NYCPD model.
I tend would agree with the premise that most of the Speed Six .38s (GS-82) were made up for police contracts even though it was a standard cataloged model. I would also agree that NYCPD used Ruger double actions in .38 Spl.
That this particular piece is a NYCPD 'overrun' ? - not so much - and probably will not letter as a NYCPD gun.
On the other hand, it's a very clean NIB /w box late scalloped frame, GS-82 and the asking price is not all THAT high for such a pristine piece.
Just my $0.02 worth,
Terry T

JPGLSG

Blackhawk
""What do you think, should I just have kept my mouth shut and let someone possibly overpay for a gun because of the misleading ad?""

Hell no don't keep your mouth shut....I am a relatively new Ruger single action collector and I want to know the truth, the hold truth about guns that I would like to add. I worked damn hard all my life for my gun money. Any time you Gentleman in the know can shed light on something for sale, I think you are doing a service. I have seen some SA revolvers that do not match anything I have found in the Reference of Ruger Firearms, from Red Eagle, pocket edition #2 book.

Terry,
I actually don't disagree much with the price for what he is showing, I'm even watching it to see what happens. But to an unknowing person, the misrepresentation could cost a buyer a lot of money. If they then try to sell it later and use what they were told when they bought it and the true facts come to light...?

Toroflow,
I don't think he will respond either, but he will know that there are people out there that do know what he is trying to do.

hittman

Staff member
Any idea what the rubber stamp "HUB" on the end of the shipper means?

I saw another Six series recently just slightly out of the s/n range for a postal gun and with no box, etc. He swears it's a postal gun and had it priced very high ..... just no provenance.

He did reply to me. Here is what he said to me AND added to the description:

"It is not sold to the NYPD but sold to that market. Service and off duty revolvers were not sold to the NYPD for issue to officers. The officers bought revolvers that were approved by the department on their own. This gun came from the NY area. It is a standard Speed Six but chambered in 38 Special only. I have a few of these come through my shop over the years. They were owned by retired NYPD officers. 38 Special was the issue round for many years so Ruger made these to sell in that market. A 357 magnum gun chambered in 38 Special only."

There are still some inaccuracies in the addition, but not too deceiving. Also, his title stills says "Ruger Speed Six 38 Special - NYPD Contract " which COULD make one believe it was sold to the NYCPD.

Headed to the gym for my morning workout, will add more when I get home.

diyj98

Single-Sixer
I have a Glock 22 FBI contract for sale if anyone is interested. I can't prove it was sold to the FBI or even an FBI employee, but since at one time the FBI carried Glocks, my gun was sold "to that market". I'd say he's grasping at straws with his description.

60CPT

Bearcat
Grandpa always said "buy the gun not the story!" Still a nice gun to have no matter how it is advertised.

I agree with the "Buy the gun, not the story", however, as a collector, the story has a lot to do with the value of what you are buying. A true Ruger contract NYCPD gun (I have them) is worth, to a collector, more than the gun itself. Like an old $20 gold piece, its numismatic value far exceeds the value of the gold content. The same with some guns.

jjc333

Bearcat
I have a NYPD approved Speed Six. It came with a spurless hammer and a 3 inch barrel. 3 and 4 were the only barrel lengths offered for the department. All approved Rugers have a star approval stamp on the inside of the crane, I'm confident that there is no star stamp on the gun. Just as a new in box Speed Six his price isn't that crazy in my opinion.

kbm6893

Single-Sixer
Blued Service Six 38 revolvers were available for a short time on the NYPD. They had spurred hammers and could be cocked like the other gun authorized, the S&w 10. I don't know if the blued spurred hammer ones had the star, but stainless NYPD revolvers were double action only and had bobbed hammers.

NYPD guns were bought from the Equipment Section. You couldn't just go into a gun shop and buy one for a duty gun. So the seller is full of it it that gun was not directly purchased through the NYPD Equipment Section.

And I do not recall the 2.75" speed six EVER being an authorized off duty gun. Colts, S&w 36 and 60 (for a short time) and Ruger SPNY (DAO SP101) were options. Most popular was the S&w 640 in .38. I'm retired NYPD. Came on at the very end of the wheel guns , and I never saw anything other than the 4" Service Six or 4" GPNY ( Spurless GP100 in 38) or 3" GPNY.

kbm6893 said:
Blued Service Six 38 revolvers were available for a short time on the NYPD. They had spurred hammers and could be cocked like the other gun authorized, the S&w 10. I don't know if the blued spurred hammer ones had the star, but stainless NYPD revolvers were double action only and had bobbed hammers.

NYPD guns were bought from the Equipment Section. You couldn't just go into a gun shop and buy one for a duty gun. So the seller is full of it it that gun was not directly purchased through the NYPD Equipment Section.

And I do not recall the 2.75" speed six EVER being an authorized off duty gun. Colts, S&w 36 and 60 (for a short time) and Ruger SPNY (DAO SP101) were options. Most popular was the S&w 640 in .38. I'm retired NYPD. Came on at the very end of the wheel guns , and I never saw anything other than the 4" Service Six or 4" GPNY ( Spurless GP100 in 38) or 3" GPNY.
I have one of the GPNY 4" GP100s. It was from the last run made but not issued to the NYPD as they were switching to autos.

kbm6893

Single-Sixer
dickydalton said:
kbm6893 said:

I have one of the GPNY 4" GP100s. It was from the last run made but not issued to the NYPD as they were switching to autos.

So Ruger made a batch expecting to ship them to the Equipment Section, and the job said "no thanks. We're going to autos now" so Ruger sold the guns to dealers.

44rugerr

Single-Sixer
I also challenge many sellers on their ads. Most are honest mistakes, but some have been misleading. It is usually the non Ruger collectors.