Found a .454 cylinder for my Redhawk .45 UPDATE

Help Support Ruger Forum:

glw3151

Bearcat
It should arrive anyday. I have a 4.2" Redhawk. I am looking forward to swapping the .45 cylinder with the .454 cylinder. I believe it should be a straight swap.

glw3151

Bearcat
48flyer said:
Where did you find one?
I've been looking for months and come up empty
Check the various auction sites regularly. It may take a while, eventually one will show.

SweetWilliam

Buckeye
How does someone come about getting an extra Redhawk 454 cyl. to sell?
Don't take this the wrong way I'm just asking because why would someone take a good 454 cyl off a good gun just to sell it.
Even though I don't like the looks of the Super Redhawks I'd like to have a 9.5" 454. And throw a nice scope on it.

MaxP

Buckeye
SweetWilliam said:
Don't take this the wrong way I'm just asking because why would someone take a good 454 cyl off a good gun just to sell it.
Even though I don't like the looks of the Super Redhawks I'd like to have a 9.5" 454. And throw a nice scope on it.

I ended up with an unused .454 cylinder when I had my .454 SRH converted to .500 Linebaugh.

glw3151

Bearcat
What MaxP said, someone likely commissioned a Super Redhawk conversion and a .454 cylinder was left over.

glw3151

Bearcat
So, my .454 cylinder arrived. It appears to be in excellent condition. I need to pirate a couple of parts from the .45 cylinder so now I need a double action ejector screwdriver bit. Just ordered one thru Brownells. It should arrive by mid nxt week. Except for the extractor star assembly, the Redhawk is disassembled and ready for the .454 cylinder.

eveled

Hawkeye
SweetWilliam said:

Some guns get destroyed by court order, and the parts are sold off.

My question is : Is a Redhawk strong enough for 454 casull? If it is why do we have Super Redhawks? I wish we could get a factory Blackhawk in 454 casull.

MaxP

Buckeye
eveled said:
My question is : Is a Redhawk strong enough for 454 casull? If it is why do we have Super Redhawks? I wish we could get a factory Blackhawk in 454 casull.

The short answer is yes, the Redhawk is strong enough. There really is no strength difference between the Redhawk and the Super Redhawk as they are basically the same gun. There is an extension on the frame of the SRH to accommodate scope ring mounting points and the grip frame differs. I will post up a couple of photos (excuse the quality) showing an SRH and a Redhawk together and you can see that the frames are the same (save for the aforementioned differences). I will also post up a photo of a Redhawk that was converted to .454 decades ago that is still as tight as the day it left the gunsmith's shop after literally thousands of full-tilt .454 loads.

P1020559.jpg

P1020558.jpg

CH5-Cannon-1.jpg

rich44

Bearcat
glw3151 said:
So, my .454 cylinder arrived. It appears to be in excellent condition. I need to pirate a couple of parts from the .45 cylinder so now I need a double action ejector screwdriver bit. Just ordered one thru Brownells. It should arrive by mid nxt week. Except for the extractor star assembly, the Redhawk is disassembled and ready for the .454 cylinder.

I have a Redhawk with a 454 cylinder also I wish I would have seen this earlier I have a couple of those screwdriver tips I would have sold you one cheap along with a .45 range rod head to check cylinder alignment.

glw3151

Bearcat
rich44 said:
glw3151 said:

I have a Redhawk with a 454 cylinder also I wish I would have seen this earlier I have a couple of those screwdriver tips I would have sold you one cheap along with a .45 range rod head to check cylinder alignment.
Thank you for your kind offer. I need some help trouble shooting, please. Revolver is reassembled with new .454 cylinder, the hammer will not cock fully and lock into place with the cylinder closed. The hammer will cock fully when I open the cylinder such as I would do to load or unload the gun.