Found a .454 cylinder for my Redhawk .45 UPDATE

Help Support Ruger Forum:

glw3151

Bearcat
Arisin' Wind said:
Check the trigger guard lock plunger and make sure it is installed correctly.
Are you referring to the trigger guard latch? If so, I do believe there is an issue with this part. It does not seem to seat fully. I do not believe it was seated fully from the factory as it seemed to protrude too much. I had a bear of a time removing and installing the main spring lever when I disassembled and reassembled the revolver as there is very little clearance behind the tail of the latch. I removed the trigger guard latch and the latch spring to check for any obstructions in the recess in the frame where these parts sit. I also noticed in the parts diagram there is listed a trigger guard latch retaining pin, looks like a small clip, that piece is missing from my revolver. It came this way from the factory. I also saw no mention of this retaining pin while viewing instructions on line?? My revolver is missing the disassembly pin. Again, this a new, unfired revolver. Maybe the disassmbly pin is missing because of the Hogue grip, no place to store the pin?? Arisin Wind, if you have any suggestions, please feel free to PM me. Maybe we can discuss this. I was planning to give Jack Huntington a buzz in the am to get his thoughts too. Thank you for your suggestions!

glw3151

Bearcat
Arisin' Wind said:
Any update on this?
Not yet, bud. It should have arrived at JRH today. Jack is confident it is an easy fix, being the hand is slightly too tall. He will perform a "smooth and tune" to the action, polish the barrel throat, and slightly extend the distance the firing protrudes thru the frame. All worthwhile mods. I should have it back is several weeks. Thank you for asking and your suggestions. I will post the results. I may start researching grips. The factory Hogue is too short for me. It wears the Butler Creek rubber grip now. I like this grip, just not as attractive as checkered wood.

glw3151

Bearcat
I received my revolver back from Jack Huntington today. Jack shortened the hand and now the revolver functions properly. In addition, Jack smoothed the action, polished the barrel lead/throat, and modified the hammer, frame junction so the firing pin will protrude thru the frame an additional 10 thou. Turn around time was less than 2 weeks. I have done other projects with Jack in the past. He has always done a great job for me. Thank you to everyone who assisted me with this conversion.

MaxP said:
Thel said:
A while back Bowen even had a .480 cylinder listed on Gun Broker. A .480 4" RH would have been nice.

You've got that right!

Max, your connections with Ruger may make the difference on this deal. I'd certainly be in for one. A little influence never hurt anything. Love to see a whole new model of Redhawk. Shouldn't be a problem with people trying to stick Linbaughs in the cylinder, I'd think it's a little short for that.

glw3151 said:
I received my revolver back from Jack Huntington today. Jack shortened the hand and now the revolver functions properly. In addition, Jack smoothed the action, polished the barrel lead/throat, and modified the hammer, frame junction so the firing pin will protrude thru the frame an additional 10 thou. Turn around time was less than 2 weeks. I have done other projects with Jack in the past. He has always done a great job for me. Thank you to everyone who assisted me with this conversion.

Glad it turned out OK. Now get out and shoot it and tell us all about it.