Need a new "Field Revolver" SP-101 or wait for the GP100-22?

Help Support Ruger Forum:

Bearcat

Blackhawk
I sold my S&W Model 63 "kit gun" recently. Thought that I could just use my Mark II as a field gun. It works fine, but now I have the bug for a little "field revolver" again.

I like the reviews on the new SP-101, 8-shot .22 (thanks, Mr. Quinn.... http://www.gunblast.com/Ruger-SP101-22.htm ), but keep thinking about the new GP-100-22 that is supposed to be coming. I am looking for good accuracy. The SP-101 looks perfect, but the GP may be the ultimate. Need "minute of squirrel" accuracy at 25-30 yards for most shooting. Also a fun plinker.....4-inch barrel. Not too heavy....

Any advice from the group? Also, if anyone has an SP-101 for sale or trade, let me know.

Thanks,

---Doc

eveled

Hawkeye
I strongly doubt the coming GP100 will qualify as "Not too heavy", my sp101 is a great gun, my s&w617, and 317 are really nice too. My favorite .22 revolver is my single six. If it has to be double action, I'd go with the 617.

You don't say which MKII you have but maybe a different model would satisfy you more. I have a slab side stainless model that I appreciate for what it is but I was never really passionate about. But short barreled one I picked up last summer is a ball to shoot.
22002_zpsbffd4dad.jpg

OldePhart

Blackhawk
In 22 I'd say a stainless single six would be pretty hard to beat unless you just absolutely have to have a DA.

I picked up a used stainless convertible with a handgun scope several years ago. First time out with the scope I was consistently breaking the fragments of clays at 50 yards that another fella left on the berm after letting his grandson shoot a 22 rifle at them. Didn't do nearly that well without the scope but that's obviously a deficiency of my deteriorating eyesight, not the gun.

Gun hasn't been shot much in the last few years what with the unavailability of ammo. I might have to break down and shoot a box or two...

22/45 Fan

Hunter
There is no way the GP-100 in .22 will meet the "Not too heavy" requirement. The SP-101 isn't a feather either but it is certainly a lot lighter than any GP. My 6" GP-100 in .357 weights about 1/4-oz more than my 6" S&W 686 and both are pretty substantial guns. A .22 GP is likely to weight slightly more than a .357 GP with the same barrel length since the holes are smaller even if there are 10 chambers.

I've been traveling so there may have been an anouncement of the GP100 in 22 came out that I haven't heard. If not I wouldn't hold my breath. I have the SP101 22 lr and really like it. Similar enough to the 63. I also like my Single Six a LOT. Had it for years. Between the two, for any 22 shooter, both are must haves IMO.

Bearcat

Blackhawk
Thanks for all the comments. I do want double action as this will serve as a travel SD piece when staying in hotels, etc.

I have a single-six, which is a terrific revolver, but it is the 6+inch barrel and is a bit too large for packing. Long barrel in the holster bumps into a lot of things. Need the 4-inch. These Michigan swamps are thick in spots. My Mark II is also a long 6 7/8-inch barrel. Quite a tack-driver, though.

Looks like the SP-101 will be the best...The GP will definitely be too heavy now that I have looked at a .357 GP at my lgs.....

Now I just need to find one at a good price. Suggestions welcomed. I'd like to stay under $500 if at all possible.

Thanks for everything, guys (and gals).

Big Old Boy

Hunter
I asked at the NRA show about the gp100 and was told they are still working with prototype's so who knows how long it may be. If it was me I'd wait for the lcrx.

OldePhart

Blackhawk
Bearcat said:
Thanks for all the comments. I do want double action as this will serve as a travel SD piece when staying in hotels, etc.

Ahh, yeah. DA best for that, though I know a couple of guys with big hands that can shoot an SA revolver almost as fast as I can shoot a DA. I have a problem taking a .22 seriously for SD though unless you have physical issues that preclude shooting at least a .380 or .38 (and my real preference is for .40, with 9mm and .357 both being close seconds) (and for home defense a 12ga).

Yes, the 22LR has probably killed more people than any other round (counting accidental shootings, etc.)...but it's not much for stopping an assailant before he can injure you or your loved ones.

There's no such thing as "knockdown" power in a man-portable gun, of course, but I do want to at least cause some systemic shock. 22 WMR might get it done with good shot placement but I call the .22 LR a "revenge round" - meaning the assailant will probably do me in but I can go out knowing that he will probably die a half-hour later on his way to the hospital.

Obviously, though, if physical issues preclude shooting something bigger then by all means the .22 beats the heck out of throwing pillows...

John

eveled

Hawkeye
Bearcat said:

This would sway me towards a single six convertible, put the magnum cylinder in it at night.

If it has to be a double action, I would just start looking if you find a SP 101, 317, or 617 buy it. Any one of them would serve your purposes.

Jimbo357mag

Hawkeye
Have you considered the 4" SP-101 in 327 Fed Mag? Same size and weight gun, same fiber optic sights, much more power if you want 'self defense'.

OldePhart

Blackhawk
Jimbo357mag said:
Have you considered the 4" SP-101 in 327 Fed Mag? Same size and weight gun, same fiber optic sights, much more power if you want 'self defense'.
Good idea...and if the recoil of .327 is too much for the OP to handle he could shoot .32 H&R which should be pretty darned tame in a 4" SP-101.

foytfoyt

Bearcat
Personally, I have no interest in a GP100 22LR unless it has a 6" barrel (or longer!), for the extra velocity and sight radius.

I have a 4" SP101 22LR, and it is already comically massive for 22LR. It is an excellent gun.

DGW1949

Hunter
T'were it me, and if I just had to have some sort of a .22 "kit gun", I'd keep using the MKII which you say "works fine" untill another M-63 could be found.
On the other hand, I aint you....meaning that there could have been something about the M63 that you didn't like, so perhaps the best plan would be to find a few different .22 revolvers to handle before deciding.

DGW

foytfoyt

Bearcat
TitanX said:
Everyone seems concerned about stopping a crazed PCP user determined to destroy everything in sight.

I think many would be surprised by how getting shot with anything, changes the motivation of the average perpetrator.

I could not agree more!

Bearcat

Blackhawk
DGW1949 said:
T'were it me, and if I just had to have some sort of a .22 "kit gun", I'd keep using the MKII which you say "works fine" untill another M-63 could be found.
On the other hand, I aint you....meaning that there could have been something about the M63 that you didn't like, so perhaps the best plan would be to find a few different .22 revolvers to handle before deciding.

DGW

DGW:

I sold my Mod. 63 because it was collector quality with box, papers, grips serially numbered to the gun, etc. etc. and a collector paid me top dollar for it. I'd like to replace it with something similar and the Jeff Quinn review of the SP-101 really makes me want it...Never handled one in person, though. Most folks around here go for the Single Six or the Mark II or III for more firepower. If I could find a shooter grade M0d.63 for the same price as a new SP-101, I would be tempted to buy it.

All of these comments have me thinking about other options, including the .327 Federal SP 101 which would be a great little woods hiking revolver and better for SD....Well, I guess six .32s are better than eight .22s, but some would differ with that, too.

--Thanks

Cordite

Single-Sixer
I have an SP-101 in .327 Fed Mag (the original version) and it would be what I would pick for a kit gun that has to do SD duty as well.

The .32 S&W (std and long) rounds are powder-puffs to shoot... the 32 H&R Mag rounds are stouter but anyone can handle the recoil. The .327 Fed Mag has quite a bit of power.... you have to shoot it to appreciate its value in the SD category. I like that fact that you can use four different loads in the same revolver depending on what you need to gun to do.

I'm in the market for the new adjustable sight version with the longer barrel as I am a fan of the .327 round... and who doesn't like a new gun anyway. :)

Cordite

Bearcat

Blackhawk
foytfoyt said:
Personally, I have no interest in a GP100 22LR unless it has a 6" barrel (or longer!), for the extra velocity and sight radius.

I have a 4" SP101 22LR, and it is already comically massive for 22LR. It is an excellent gun.

Glad to hear that you like the SP101 in .22 lr.

Can you post any shot targets so that I can get an idea of relative accuracy? If so, thanks very much.

Jeff Quinn's photos made it look like an extremely accurate revolver. Much better than my old Model 63 S&W.

foytfoyt

Bearcat
Bearcat said:
Glad to hear that you like the SP101 in .22 lr.

Can you post any shot targets so that I can get an idea of relative accuracy? If so, thanks very much.

Jeff Quinn's photos made it look like an extremely accurate revolver. Much better than my old Model 63 S&W.

I'm not a great shot, so can only tell you that my SP101 is not the weak link. I first shot it will cheap Remington lead bullets, and after about 150 rounds, the accuracy when off. I later found the barrel was leaded. I switched to CCI plated Mini-Mags, and have never had a problem since, after up to 500 rounds in one session. I cannot say if other lead bullets would work, as I have stayed with the CCI plated, both solid and hollow.

k22fan

Blackhawk
It sounds like a couple of you missed the .22 LR GP 100 Ruger showed off on TV. It had a 5" half lug barrel which I'm sure was to keep the tonnage below what the standard 6" full lug GP 100 would weigh in .22. Even so it will fall in the target revolver category and won't compete with "kit guns."