What would you pay?

Help Support Ruger Forum:

WarpathEngineering

Single-Sixer
Been looking for a while now for a Security or Speed Six and came across a SS 4" 357 Security Six supposedly new in the box with papers. He's asking north of $600. I'd really like to have it but I know if I just keep looking a nice used one will come around for $400. What would you pay for a NOS SS 4" Security Six?

GhosT

Blackhawk
1981, bought my first DA revolver, a Stainless 6" Security Six.
That gun rocked,so get, I get why ya would want one.
{BTW, JMHO, ALWAYS go for Security over Speed SIX. Those adjustable sites worked well when trying different loads.}

Now,decades later own both a 6" GP100 and a snubby SP101....Both stainless, and happy with them.

600 bucks + , seems a little steep.....
As I doubt ANYBODY that says "NEW IN THE BOX" I would want that gun in my hand,inspect it for wear,before putting out cash.

Just one member's opinion.

contender

Ruger Guru
I had a Security-Six, (GA-34H) stolen just a few years ago. Current values put it at $550 then. I paid a bit more for a used one to replace it.
You never pay too much, just too early sometimes.

Bud0505

Single-Sixer
WarpathEngineering said:
Been looking for a while now for a Security or Speed Six and came across a SS 4" 357 Security Six supposedly new in the box with papers. He's asking north of $600. I'd really like to have it but I know if I just keep looking a nice used one will come around for $400. What would you pay for a NOS SS 4" Security Six?

Ther is a Speed Six for sale in the classifieds. Roninpa is a good guy to deal with.

Thanks for the kind words Bud, I try.

Warpath, If it truly is new old stock and has all the correct paperwork and box (shipper would be a nice plus if included), then $600 might be a tad high but not overly much. If it were a 4" Speed Six, then I would say that price would be in the ball park. They made a lot of Security Sixes and you still see NOS show up on the auction sites.

If it were a must have, then you wouldn't be disappointed in the long run. The Six series guns have been/are appreciating the last few years. Unless lucky, the days of the pristine Six series guns going for $350 are gone.

Now, if the one you found was at a place where you can directly talk to the person, I would go in and offer $450 to see what they say. You could say yes, I know they don't make them any more and yes they are known for their strength BUT, if something goes wrong with it Ruger will not fix it anymore and they carry very, very few parts for it (and that is the truth). You could then gauge their response and up your offer if need be.

For me $600 is too much, especially so if you are going to shoot it., $450 is absolute top for one I would shoot. I have one and my GP100 fits my hand better...

Maybe a Tyler T-grip would help...

Bearcat

Blackhawk
I think the value is in the $550-$600 range. Just look at the prices for similar quality S&W or the heavier GP100s. There may be some bargains out there, but they are getting rarer every day. If you see a nice one that you want, buy it. It's only paper photos of dead presidents...worth less every year. The Rugers appreciate in value while the dollar declines.

This one will go above $600 likely:

http://www.gunbroker.com/Auction/ViewItem.aspx?Item=478382052