Thinking about an SP101

Help Support Ruger Forum:

Clovishound

Blackhawk
I've been thinking about picking up a smallish revolver in .38/.357 for CC. LGS has a couple stainless SP101s in .357 with the 2.25" barrel. I have shot this in a 3" barrel. I liked it except for the rear of the trigger guard rubbing the middle of one of my fingers. I see that Hogue has a grip that extends over part of the trigger guard, and looks like it should fix the problem.

Anybody else have this problem, and or solution?

I really like this weapon. I can get what seems like a decent deal on one of these with a trade in of an older model that is currently just sitting in my safe. I have two, so I don't really need a duplicate. I hope the 2.25" barrel will work for me. I didn't care for the 1 7/8 barrel on the model 10 years ago. The 3" is fine. The 2.25 feels good in the hand, and looks like a good fit for CC. The .357 option would seem like a good pistol backup for protection while hunting. I currently carry an SR9c. I like it, but have been jonesing for a revolver.

OldePhart

Blackhawk
Make sure you check the action out well if you decide to do this. My SP-101 had a "born on" date of March 5th and the action was really, really rough and after a couple of hundred dry firings the trigger started sticking and would not reset. I was able to clean it up myself and get a decent action but if you don't have the tools, knowledge, and time then check it early. Don't assume that the action will be as smooth as your 10-year-old SP!

I personally prefer the 3" over the shorter barrel even for CC (in .357 magnum) with barrels at 3" and below you can actually get as good a performance from 9mm+P as you usually get from the .357 (using common commercial loads in both) with less recoil and flash/bang. If you hand load you can actually get pretty good performance (somewhere approximately mid-way between .38 +P and .357 muzzle energy) from a 3" .357 without the insane muzzle flash/bang of commercial defensive .357 loads. There are a tiny handful of "short barrel" and low flash loads that are available (sort of) now if you get lucky and can score some.

I carry my 3" SP-101 now most of the time and don't find it any more difficult to conceal IWB at 4 o'clock than my Glock model 26 (both are definitely harder than a thin pistol like the LC9, though). If you carry IWB the extra inch of barrel is inside the pants at about the position of your hip pocket...and the barrel area is thin so unless one is wearing skinny jeans :) it doesn't really show. In fact, the butt of the SP conceals better than the blocky butt on the Glock.

John

woodsy

Blackhawk
Clovishound said:
I've been thinking about picking up a smallish revolver in .38/.357 for CC. LGS has a couple stainless SP101s in .357 with the 2.25" barrel. I have shot this in a 3" barrel. I liked it except for the rear of the trigger guard rubbing the middle of one of my fingers. I see that Hogue has a grip that extends over part of the trigger guard, and looks like it should fix the problem.

Anybody else have this problem, and or solution?

Look at the Hogue website:
http://www.hogueinc.com/store/products/ruger-sp101-nylon-monogrip-black/3513

The one on that page has a nylon grip, which one can modify with hand tools to fit one's hand. And, the grip is designed to shield that finger you talk about.
Or, the same thing is available in soft rubber, which is not really conducive to modification (search just a little on the site to find it). I have both, one for each of my SP's. My 2.25" has the soft grip, and the 4" has the nylon grip, which I shaped a bit for my hand. I carry the 4" in the woods, and the snubbie in my pants pocket holster for CC.

Arky

Single-Sixer
I have the 3in and one of my Daughters the snubbie. There is no way I could carry one in my pocket and keep my pants on. They are heavy! My Wife carries a Smith 637-2 with a 1 7/16th bbl rated 38+P weighing in at 15oz. I cannot talk her out of it.
It takes a good belt and holster to carry my SP.

Clovishound

Blackhawk
Arky said:
I have the 3in and one of my Daughters the snubbie. There is no way I could carry one in my pocket and keep my pants on. They are heavy! My Wife carries a Smith 637-2 with a 1 7/16th bbl rated 38+P weighing in at 15oz. I cannot talk her out of it.
It takes a good belt and holster to carry my SP.

There is only a few ounces difference in weight between a fully loaded SP101, and my fully loaded SR9c. I have no weight issues carrying my SR9c. I would rather carry something a little bigger, heavier that I can shoot comfortably, than something smaller, lighter that I have shooting issues with. IOW I want something I enjoy shooting enough to want to practice with, rather than one I dread putting a few rounds through at the range. I want to be very familiar with my carry weapon.

woodsy

Blackhawk
Arky said:
There is no way I could carry one in my pocket and keep my pants on. They are heavy! .
I have heard that said many times, but it isn't a problem for me. I am small, and not overweight, though that does not mean any others have a girth problem. I can carry in my jeans, and cargo pants. Haven't tried dress pants, mainly because I rarely wear them. The only problem is when buying; I bring a tape measure to make sure that the pocket is deep enough to hide the butt of the grip. I use a DeSantis Nemesis for in-the-pocket. My BIL, who carries a Kimber usually (and is therefore aware of printing) cannot detect my SP most of the time.

cworetired

Single-Sixer
I had the problem with the trigger guard but after adding the Hogue grips I find I really do enjoy the gun even with 357 loads. Hope it helps

I agree. I had a problem with the SP101 trigger guard whacking my middle knuckle. Add the Hogues, seemed to change the angle to give me better control of the revolver, and quit whacking my knuckle. I can handle 357's handily.

6gun

Hunter
The 2.25" barrel is the one you want for sure, and the Hogue grip will keep your fingers away from the trigger guard, I have the Hogue on mine.

Clovishound

Blackhawk
6gun said:
The 2.25" barrel is the one you want for sure, and the Hogue grip will keep your fingers away from the trigger guard, I have the Hogue on mine.

Why the 2.25? I very much liked the 3 in barrel model I shot, as well as a 3" model 63. I really never cared for the 1 7/8 model 15 I shot. I know the 3" will affect concealability, but I doubt it would be a significant problem.

Good to hear the Hogues take care of the trigger guard problem.

6gun

Hunter
Clovishound said:
6gun said:

Why the 2.25? I very much liked the 3 in barrel model I shot, as well as a 3" model 63. I really never cared for the 1 7/8 model 15 I shot. I know the 3" will affect concealability, but I doubt it would be a significant problem.

Good to hear the Hogues take care of the trigger guard problem.

Concealability is the major issue plus the added weight, and to me a 3" is just to much barrel for a gun of it's size, 2.25 is better balanced and just as accurate, a longer barrel don't gang you anything on this gun in my opinion.

mr surveyor

Blackhawk
I carry a 3" SP101 six days a week, OWB with a cover shirt, and have for the past 4+ years. I also carry a lot of "other stuff" while in the field and have never considered the SP101 to be a discomfort to carry. Best all around "field gun" I've ever carried. The only time the SP isn't on my belt are Sunday church or necessary dress-up occasions (the slim bottom feeders or j-frame boot carry .... or both .... have that duty).

That particular SP101 was responsible for me taking up reloading the week after I bought it LNIB (without the box :( ) from a friend that had safe queened it since 1993. We all have our "last gun you'll have to pry from my cold dead hands" and that SP is mine :)

Can 'ya tell I have a fondness for the SP? :lol:

jd

jammer

Single-Sixer
check out trausch grips. i have the 2 1/4" sp and have done fine with the factory grips. i got rid of the hogue that came with it, as it was a bit long in the boot so to speak. stuck out too far for my liking

BrisketBBQ

Bearcat
6gun said:
Concealability is the major issue plus the added weight, and to me a 3" is just to much barrel for a gun of it's size
Much depends on belt and holster, my 3" SP101 carries and conceals well with either a Ken Null GSS or UNS.

GhosT

Blackhawk
An old ,low quality pic of my SP101.

100_9040-1.jpg

The Grips, VERSION 1 of Crimson Trace grips.
Plus a few other "upgrades" to this gun.
----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

But the fact is,even if it was still in original factory condition.....
This gun would never be sold or traded away.

A well proven, accurate and reliable , protect yer ass, revolver.

GunHawk

Single-Sixer
I have carried a Para Slim Hawg .45ACP for about 4 years, got the revolver bug and switched to a S&W 19 4 inch .357 MAG. Grip is kinda long on the S&W (square butt) so I started looking for something else. Bought a SP101 with a 3 inch barrel and it is my EDC, been carrying it about 3 months now. I use a TT Gunleather IWB-OWB convertible, but carry it inside the waist band, two speed strips in my pocket. Don't even notice it's there, would highly recommend the SP101 in a 3 inch.