New Lipsey's Exclusive Flattop Models

Help Support Ruger Forum:

xtratoy

Buckeye
I'm glad I ordered mine in Stainless. If I need to file the front sight, I can easily put it back to original configuration later. I still haven't figured out why Ruger doesn't put a pinned front sight on the blued models.

Rclark

Hunter
xtratoy, I agree with you on Ruger and the pinned front sight. make it nice.... But it is what it is, and I did what I had to do! In one since I am glad that it was 'high', because I could make an adjustment. Of course it would have been nice to be 'perfect' but that wasn't in the cards.

{updated 5/1/15} Shot it after work today. Still more will have to come of the front sight! Was only 2" low at 12 yards or so.... Much better than 5"!

Rclark

Hunter
Here is my gun with the front Sight filed down to a reasonable height. This is sighted in with 158g SWC under 6.0g of 20/28 (basically 'think' Unique) for 1078 out of 6 1/2" barrel. So probably 1050fps out of this 5 1/2" barrel. Anyway. File is put away and we are good to go!!!! Oh target is just 6 shots off-hand at 12 yards or so on a very windy day.... Apologize for the not so good group.

RugerFlattop357_sightFiled1024_zps8pekem7f.jpg

RugerFlattop357_sightFiledJustSight640_zpspijbahvh.jpg

RugerFlattop357_sightFiledJustRearSight640_zpsn6bncbqt.jpg

-----

{updated} Cleaned it tonight after ~150 rounds. The barrel was so clean you could almost eat off of it. No leading evident with a bore light, so I just swabbed one patch with #9 and and one dry patch and done. Awesome (I don't see this very often). So far, only the sights have been an 'issue' and that has been solved. All screws have stayed tight. Next up will be a complete tear down to smooth up the internals. But not tonight. This gun is a keeper...

swmetal

Bearcat
Is there a consensus that these are all coming with too tall a front sight? I had to raise my rear sight to the maximum to get it to shoot POA with 158 SWC.

Anyone who has one shooting POA, can you post the height of your front sight? My factory front sight on my 5.5" barrel SS model is 0.410 from the flat sight mount or 0.560 from top of the barrel.

Poco Oso

Buckeye
It was my understanding , when I bought my .45Colt/ACP flattop, that the front sight was taller in order to be able to dial in for lighter bullets in the ACP cylinder. I don't know if this holds true for the .357/.38/9mm.

Rclark

Hunter
Well, lighter bullets tend to shoot 'lower' so a taller front sight just makes it worse. No.... one just needs the correct height sight to accommodate the common bullet weights one will be shooting :) . And as long as it is tall, one can easily file it down to 'needed' height. Very easy to fix..... But still should come from the factory with a proper front sight blade to begin with!

Poco Oso

Buckeye
I stand corrected, Rclark. You are absolutely right. I must of had a little brain fart there. :oops: Since we know it wasn't in order to shoot heavy tier III, "Ruger only" loads, I'm going to have to say they did it just to pizz you guys off, then. :mrgreen: Has anyone thought to actually ask Ruger about this?

Dobe

Bearcat
the taller front sight on the Lipsey .45 flat top was designed for heavier projectiles (300 + grains)

Poco Oso

Buckeye
Correct, Dobe. I just pulled out the Dec. 2011 issue of Handloader magazine, that has Brian Pearce's article on the Lipsey's Flattop .45. He sates Lipsey's requested the .45 with a taller front sight than the .44 Flattop, in order to be able to shoot 285, 300, and 320 grain bullets, (loads provided in the article) He then states that if yours will only see a 250/260 grain diet and you want to have the rear sight lower/flush with the top strap.simply mill (file, for Rclark) down the front. Brownells offers front sights of various heights if you have one of the SS that has the front pinned.

Travelair

Bearcat
Luckily I have a stainless model. I put on a new front sight that is lower and I also have a higher rear sight blade if I need it. Haven't shot it since installing the front sight. The parts are:

Front Sight Blade: Ruger # MR03600 MidwayUSA # 132751

Rear Sight Blade: Ruger H07303A-DA MidwayUSA # 215472

The rear sight blade has a white outline, but the sight slot is wider.

Iglo73

Bearcat
Have tried to search trought other posts, but no luck...
Can anybody advise the empty weight of the 5,5" 357 flattop??
Stainless or blued.

Ran into a 40oz figure on a dealer sight, but the product description was mixing 45 and 357 details, so cannot rely on that one :shock: :shock:

Rclark

Hunter
Just weighed mine (blued 5 1/2" .357 flattop) for you as it was handy in my range bag. It is 2lb:12oz:1/2oz , so 44 1/2 oz .

swmetal

Bearcat
swmetal said:
Is there a consensus that these are all coming with too tall a front sight? I had to raise my rear sight to the maximum to get it to shoot POA with 158 SWC.

Anyone who has one shooting POA, can you post the height of your front sight? My factory front sight on my 5.5" barrel SS model is 0.410 from the flat sight mount or 0.560 from top of the barrel.

My 357/9mm stainless came with the same 0.410 front sight. I sent it to Ruger and they put on a 0.367 sight and now it shoots POA.

swmetal said:

Took me two tries with the file, but I finally have it shooting POA, but with the rear sight still cranked all the way up. Now that I know where I'm at, I'll file once more so I can collapse the rear sight a little.

WAYNO.

ChiefTJS

Blackhawk
Finally got around to calling Ruger about mine yesterday. I have two, a blued 5.5" and a stainless 4-5/8" and the 5.5" has the too tall front sight. They emailed the shipping label and I sent it out this morning so it should be a little more perfect in a few weeks. Gotta say, these are a great package even with the little flaw.