"rim" on cylinder where round enters? final range update.

Help Support Ruger Forum:

roylt

Hunter
So I took my 357 Blackhawk to the range the other day and was cleaning it last night and noticed on two of the chambers the edge was reamed off where the round is pushed in. I'm at work and don't have a picture sorry but has anyone noticed this before. The other 4 chambers are smooth and nice. This was a brand new unfired gun so it has not been messed with. Didn't think to look at the 9mm cyl. (convertible model)

Thanks guys,

P.S. This is my first cowboy gun.

9mm on the left looks great. The 357 on the right looks like bubba tried to help.

roylt

Hunter
Well I'll try to get pics and post up. I have my kids tonight and off tomorrow so maybe this weekend when the kids are visiting with ex.

Sorta looks like a deburr job but why only on two? The one looks worse than the other. Gun still shot good.

only two because they were the ones with the burr, they usually give it a quick lick and a promise, NEATNESS doesn't cont, time does.....as long as the "ream" ( deburr) is not deep and the case remains "supported< it is not an issue, heck borrow a chamfer and make them all match, thats what we would do, as to us "neatness does count" 8) :roll: :wink:
PS. the competition shooters (PPC) used to have them all chamferred for speed loader 'ease' was part of the PPC built guns. :)

rugerguy said:
PS. the competition shooters (PPC) used to have them all chamferred for speed loader 'ease' was part of the PPC built guns. :)

Dan, what I did when I built my GP100 PPC gun was to remove the ejector and then ream the cylinders (basically reamed 2/3 of the cylinder). That way the rounds were always supported, the speedloaders worked better and it ejected the empties easily.

I agree, I would also do the same to all the cylinders of his gun, just to make it look symmetrical.

GunnyGene

Hawkeye
I keep learning new stuff here, that forces me to examine some detail or other on my .41 NMBH. I must have gotten lucky, because I've yet to find any of the flaws that have been mentioned since I've been a member here, including this thing with poor workmanship on the cylinder. Anything else I should know about? :)

black029

Single-Sixer
So, are you saying that 2 of the chambers were not reamed cleanly so that the rear of the cylinder has 4 sharp edged chambers, and 2 that appear chamfered or deburred?
Or what? :)

roylt

Hunter
I think all is OK just that two were deburred and the other weren't. I figured the cylinder to be machined and yield true edges over all and didn't think this deburr looked right.

This is a Blackhawk so speed loaders won't be used.

I still plan to post a picture.

Thanks guys,

Charon

Single-Sixer
I believe I read somewhere that bullseye revolver shooters often chamfered the edges of the chambers to make loading wadcutters easier.

bcgunworks

Single-Sixer
Just about every wheel gun that comes thru my shop gets the chambers chamfered. That would fix these little imperfections.

the principle is the same for the chamfer, whether a speed loader is used or simply "one at a time", allows the bullet nose to make a smoother, easier 'entry', as well as keep the case shoulder from catching also..........

k22fan

Blackhawk
Brownell's sells a spherical hand reamer for chamfering chambers. To avoid case rims slipping of the extractor it is usually recommended that a double action's extractor not be chamfered. However, auto pistol cartridges in moon clips can't slip off the extractor so if that's all you are going to fire it is O.K. to chamfer the extractor.

Chamfering is standard procedure for PPC and modern matches but I've never heard of it being done to a bullseye revolver. The traditional bullseye range verbiage "all ready on the right? All ready on the left?" are questions, not statements. There is no intent to hurry the reloading.

roylt

Hunter
I guess the edit option didn't bump this up so here's a bump for replies to the picture.

Thanks guys,

O2HeN2

Bearcat
Ok, the pictures are very informative. First off, send it back to Ruger. If I had to take a guess at what happend here, the first chamber got chamfered, then the cutter chattered on the second. The line was stopped, the tool fixed/replaced and [unfortunately] the cylinder continued merrily along the production process with the chamfering process incomplete and defective.

Bad luck, it should have been tossed in the trash due to the tool chattering but SH. Ruger will make it right.

O2

roylt

Hunter
First cowboy gun so I didn't know anything. Ship it to Ruger huh. It is the most I have spent on a pistol. Maybe I'll call them. Would like a few more people to chime in on it though.

I customized the grip frame and loading gate etc. Would they replace the gun or just fit a new cylinder to it? Do I have to put it back to factory before sending it in? I have all the original parts but it would suck to take apart and swap etc.

Thoughts please.

Varminterror

Blackhawk
Yeah, something looks out of whack here. To be sure I had the right mental reference, I checked some of my Ruger single actions, and the 9mm cylinder looks correct compared to all but one of mine - that I just noticed stands out as "different," as it has no chamber chamfer at all. All the rest have the edge slightly broken with what looks to be a 30degree-ish chamfer.

The deeper and higher angle chamfer on your 357mag chambers looks to be a 45degree chamfer. If you hadn't said it was a brand new gun, I would have assumed that some cowboy action DIY tuner tried to put a chamfer on the chambers with a drill press (or worse, a hand drill!). Definitely chatter marks.

I'd be sending that one back to Ruger, or I'd be breaking a 45degree chamfer to even out all of them and clean up that chatter. I'm confident that it won't actually affect anything, but my brain would melt and fall out of my ear if I left that looking like that.

roylt

Hunter
Something else that bugs me some is the smith that fit the cylinders didn't notice. He marked the serial number to each of the cyl. though. Also the grip frame and loading gate were marked.