Brass grip frames

Help Support Ruger Forum:

48flyer

Single-Sixer
I have a couple of old Ruger Brass frames that have some tarnish on them from handling over the years.
Does anyone have a secret to removing the tarnish without polishing the brass? I don't want the brass to look new and shiny, just that nice dull brass look without the tarnish.
Thanks for the help

no secret, just use a simple chemical wash, like used for cleaning brass, anything else calls for using a "polish" and that makes things shiny, though you may be able to dull things up with a "used" 3M scotchbrite pad, just don't press,rub too hard...one of those things you have to "try" and see what works for you..................
CAUTION, anything you do or use on the brass ,keep away from the blued surface. we take 'em off ,polish by hand..................you need to find the 'middle'; ground, NOT shiny, but not dull ,matted, which is what many of the chemicals can and will do (G96 Brass cleaner)

G2

Hunter
I'm with you, I like the look of old deep look brass. I have learned over the years to polish them up to perfection, then over time keep them rubbed down and clean. It takes about a year to get the deep golden color back and then only gets better after that, but the KEY is keep it clean from the acid in your hands, some of us have high acid skin.

A way that you can speed up the process ,,,,, KINDA ,,,,, is polish up the grip frame to clean and perfection, place about a inch of vinegar in the bottom of a plastic coffee can, suspend the grip frame in the airspace above the vinegar, cover and let it sit for a few days. This method us used to "patina" brass parts, I have used this method before to age black powder parts on a muzzle loader to get the aged look.
Results are a neat looking molted look, some greens pop out, black too, wash part off good then some gun oil and a gentle massage in some of the right places.

What I understand is, it's oxidizing the metals. I would suggest you find some sort of brass part and try this before doing it to your grip frame.

To me freshly polished brass just does not have the depth of color that slowly over time aged brass has. IMO

Bob Wright

Hawkeye
I spent three years of active duty in the U.S. Army. No brass ever was to have patina! It had to be sparkling bright. Reckon I've never gotton over that.

Bob Wright

G2

Hunter
Bob Wright said:
I spent three years of active duty in the U.S. Army. No brass ever was to have patina! It had to be sparkling bright. Reckon I've never gotton over that.

Bob Wright

Thank you for your service. :D

medicdave

Blackhawk
Bob Wright said:

Bob Wright

Hard getting over doing anything "the right way" after spending time with Uncle Sam isn't it Bob? My bed has hospital corners, my shoes are laced left over right, and my gig line stays straight to this day among other lessons learned. Beautiful brassies by the way.

48flyer

Single-Sixer
Thanks G2 I'll have to try the vinegar trick. I have another brass frame, not on a gun, and it has been polished.
Do you put a lid on the container, or leave it open to the air?
Bob, beautiful collection of brass you have there

6gun

Hunter
I like the look of polished brass :D whether you like the look or not it will tarnish again, you really should polish once in a while to remove tarnish it is damaging to the brass, tarnish is corrosion and could eventually damage your brass if not removed once in a while.

Slenk

Single-Sixer
https://www.google.com/search?q=how+to+clean+brass
Nice Shooters Bob
& Thanks for your Service

k22fan

Blackhawk
On some very old brass door knobs and banisters blue or green lines reveal the brass' crystal structure. I have a knife that had that appearance on its hand guard and end piece when new. Handling wear has worn that surface off part of the brass. I assume the original look was created with chemicals. Any idea how it was done?

G2

Hunter
Put the lid on. I have a piece of hanger wire that I poked thru the lid and used for the hanging hook.

Over the weekend,,,
I played with a old brass Grip Frame I have that looked close to your picture as for the gunk on it. I gently massaged it with WD-40 used a cloth with just a bit more bite than my finger prints, it cleaned it up, left most of the deeper color, somewhat polished it. I was trying to clean but not polish, worked perty good.