Need Help Identifying Ruger SA's for a Custom Build

Help Support Ruger Forum:

Of late I've been really wanting to pull out the stops and have a once in a lifetime SA revolver built. I'm wanting this to be a light, practical revolver and therefore I want it in 45 Colt and based on the "mid" size frame. Something the size of a NM Vaquero only with adjustable sights. I've just about settled on one of Dave Clements packages. I don't know that his work is any better, but his site is so much easier to understand.

So I'm looking for a used one for my build but my problem is I'm confused by the models. "New Model", "Flat Top", "3-Screw", etc. I know the Flat Tops are the smaller frame as are the Lipsey's 45 Convertibles, and 3-Screws, but are some of the "New Models". My hope is to find and inexpensive used one for the project.

Thanks for help.

CraigC

Hawkeye
IMHO, if you want it lightweight, it needs to have an aluminum grip frame. The New Model mid-frame .45's are heavier than the large frame .45's.

Mid-frames:
Old Model Blackhawk .357's (flat-top and "eared" models 1955-1973)
New Model 50th anniversary .357 Blackhawk
New Model flat-tops in .44Spl and .45Colt/ACP

The flat-top .44Mag and .41Mag Blackhawks are large frame.

I would suggest an Old Model because I prefer them. I also prefer the XR3 grip frame from the flat-tops. Which is easily retrofitted to the eared models. You could also have an aluminum grip frame fitted to a New Model flat-top .45 and be done with it. I have three Clements guns and he does a good job. Here's a .44Spl built by Jim Stroh on a beater flat-top.

IMG_7120e.jpg

Chuck 100 yd

Hunter
If you are going to spend some large bux on a custom, why try to save money on the donor gun? First decide what gun you want to build and then shop for a clean and sound but not nessisarily pretty gun to use as the donor. My choice would be a three screw flat top.

Chuck 100 yd said:
If you are going to spend some large bux on a custom, why try to save money on the donor gun? First decide what gun you want to build and then shop for a clean and sound but not nessisarily pretty gun to use as the donor. My choice would be a three screw flat top.

I know exactly what I want to build, as I already stated. I'm going to buy a used gun as the donor because I see little need in purchasing a brand new revolver just to have it gutted and built in to another. Again, my issue was the confusion with Ruger's models. I have found some 3-Screws that are quite reasonably priced, so I think that's the direction l'll take.

Bearcat

Blackhawk
I know that you are looking for Custom....but take a look at Freedom Arms for a terrific "off the shelf" solution....Cost would be about the same.
JMHO.....

CraigC

Hawkeye
Bearcat said:
I know that you are looking for Custom....but take a look at Freedom Arms for a terrific "off the shelf" solution....Cost would be about the same.
JMHO.....
Not even close. An FA 97 is $2200 but Clements' base conversion is $775.

I actually had already checked Freedom Arms and while they seem to offer a very fine product, it appears their only option is stainless steel, which I care for not in the least. My plan when this all comes together is to have the receiver of my revolver color case hardened.

Chuck 100 yd

Hunter
CCH......now you are talking !!! Have you checked out what Turnbull offers?
Minor changes like shorter barrels and custom sights are a sinch for those guys. Add a real nice set of grips and she will be a real looker as well as a shooter.

I've considered what you're suggestion also. I've even bought a couple guns to use as the donor gun, but then I end up liking that gun... It's a hard cycle to break.

Are you thinking about an octagonal barrel or anything else interesting? Good luck!

edited to add:
Why not post a wanted to buy here in the classifieds?

I hadn't looked into Turnbull because I'm wanting a revolver that provides function over form. In other words, I want something that has had everything possible done to it to increaser accuracy, THEN have a nice finish on it. I don't think Turnbull does this sort of work although their finishes are gorgeous.

No octagon barrel. What I'm wanting is a meat and potatoes gun that's practical to carry, with the potential to shoot lights-out accurate and a nice finish.

KLNC

Single-Sixer
Not the greatest picture, but here is one David built for me using a New Vaquero Montado. His "Refined Vaquero" package. You can see what it involves on his website under SA Packages. A very nice compact 45 Colt with lots of goodies. This one happens to be stainless, but obviously could be done in blue/case color as well.

Hondo44

Hawkeye
An old model 3 screw is a great choice. The only decision you need to make it to with a flat top OM or ribbed sight .357 as your base gun. Both have aluminum grip frames for lightness.

That flat top has the original Colt size XR3 grip frame. The ribbed model grip frame has the XR3-RED grip frame with an extra 1/8" clearance behind the trigger guard. This can be an advantage when shooting a 45 on the mid size frame to prevent knuckle bashing. Recognize with Clements, he used to stamp the Clements logo on an angle below the hammer screw on the left side of the frame. Don't know if he still does that.

KLNC

Single-Sixer
David now stamps his mark on the bottom of the frame in front of the trigger guard-at least that's what he's done on mine.

Bob Wright

Hawkeye
Well, to begin with this is a Flat Top Three Screw:

(Somewhat customized)

And this is a "Three Screw":

(Again, somewhat customized)

Both guns are early model Blackhawk .357 Magnums, the Flat Top the earlier model. The bottom gun has been converted (by Dave Clements) into a .44 Special. These are the only Three Screw models built on the mid-sized frame. Current Flat Top models are New Models, with the transfer bar.

Mine sport all-steel parts, grip frame and ejector housings. As to caliber changes, Dave rebores the original barrel instead of replacing it, unless the customer requests a new barrel. This frame size makes a near Colt size finished revolver and to me, is the most desirable.

There is n othing wrong with the transfer bar, it makes up into a fine custom built revolver, my preference is just toward the Three Screw action.

Bob Wright

P.S. The grips are mesquite (top) and walnut, both by CaryC.

Hondo44

Hawkeye
Dang Bob those are two gorgeous Old Models!!

Mine are homemade:

OM 3 screw Flat Top .357 converted to 44 Spl, all steel using Old Army grip frame:

orig.jpg

Old Model 357, 3 screw with ribbed rear sight, all steel:

orig.jpg

Latest posts