Pawn Shop Find

Help Support Ruger Forum:

Greg Mercurio

Single-Sixer
A couple of weeks ago I stopped by my favorite pawn shop and there sat an un-modified 3 screw Old Model SBH. The bluing has a lot of "character" and it's seen it's share of holster time, the bore was nasty from not being cleaned, and someone had put those ugly Pachmayer rubber grips on it. But the price was sweet, and they were willing to come down a bit so I took it home. Kind of a shame the guys at the pawn shop are not well schooled. The young lad behind the counter did note that it had a really funny serial number. I did not take him to school. :mrgreen:

Factory wood grips procured form a Forum member, a little work with the cleaning rod and Hoppes, and the old hag has a whole new persona. The bluing will stay as-is, it's honest wear and probably well earned. I do like the trigger on this piece. Even my wife is happy with the addition. We'll shoot it this weekend if the rain stops.

Greg Mercurio

Single-Sixer
Here's a poor pic of the pistol. I'll try to get some better pics tomorrow. The lad behind the counter had never seen a non-hyphenated serial number. Sometimes it's in our best interests not to educate the youth of America in certain matters.

k22fan

Blackhawk
Nice old ......... 5 shooter. :wink: Pictures of the relatively small percentage of pristine guns get posted too often. This one's my kind of Ruger. I'll bet it's taken a few deer is eager to harvest another.

This is just curiosity, but would this SRH have had long neck medallions with neck feathers?

street

Hunter
k22fan said:
Nice old ......... 5 shooter. :wink: Pictures of the relatively small percentage of pristine guns get posted too often. This one's my kind of Ruger. I'll bet it's taken a few deer is eager to harvest another.

This is just curiosity, but would this SRH have had long neck medallions with neck feathers?

No. This gun should have a Black Eagle medallion or maybe the somewhat rare Black Eagle with neck feathers. The grips that are on that gun has stainless steel hdwe. and that didn't start until 1974

Greg Mercurio

Single-Sixer
As stated in my original post, someone put those nasty Pachmayer grips on this nice old pistol, and I got a set from a forum member to get back to baseline. This is an occasional shooter, not a museum piece. And if the damn weather would cooperate I can find out just how nice the old fart shoots. It's a bit younger than me, having been born while I was in high school. But even then I was a Ruger fan. I'll take some better pics this week and post them as time allows. It's a pretty nice piece considering its age. And someone did some work on the lockworks...it's saweeeeeeet!

Greg Mercurio

Single-Sixer
2 more pics. I apologize for the flash, it was a bit late to get natural lighting. But you can see the holster wear, and it's apparent this pistol has spent considerable time actively riding in a holster. And give our location in NW Montana it's likely it's been on the hip of someone who rode a lot, and used the pistol a lot as there are 6 distinct wear patterns on the cylinder so it didn't just sit in a static location in the holster. The more I handle this pistol, the more I like it.

BIgMuddy

Blackhawk
I really like this one Greg. May not have had any work done to the internals. The OMSBH's usually are "sweet" without any help. Anxious to see how it shoots and hope it rides a lot more miles.

A year ago last Christmas I gave one to my oldest son. He says it is "the one" for him and loves shooting and carrying it. He plans to take it after Florida hogs this weekend. (His has the black eagles with neck feathers)

Congratulations on a great find.

Dan

trapperon

Blackhawk
Awesome revolver! You know--I believe this is a gun that would bring a smile to Bill Ruger's face! He always did intend for his guns to be stout and used without fail. You have a perfect example of his vision!

Keep on the lookout for a set of black eagle grips--that would be the perfect touch.

Great find--and thanks for the show and tell!

Ron

Greg Mercurio

Single-Sixer
I was blissfully unaware of the significance of grip medallions. Can anyone post a pic of the medallion that is period correct for this pistol? I'm not a stickler for this kind of stuff, but if I knew what I was looking for and the price was right...