Storing your pistol/revolvers

Help Support Ruger Forum:

ncrobb

Single-Sixer
Just wondering what everyone does for storing their shooters? I have most of my Rugers in their original boxes and especially like the hard gray plastic ones. They stack well in my safe. I have a number of others in zippered "rugs" and a couple that are just laying about. Most long guns are in safe socks. Is there any way better than others?

Robb

hittman

Staff member
Oh you're likely to get many different opinions on this subject. This one is like the 9mm vs. 40 cal. and 45acp vs. 40 cal. arguments.

Your storage habits are the polar opposite of mine. You couldn't pay me to store guns in their factory box. I value both the box and the gun too much.

The cardboard boxes are easily bent, folded, crushed, split and stained by having the gun in them and by stacking. The plastic cases are abrasive to the finish on the gun which tends to slide around on the hard plastic surface. Others will disagree.

Zippered rugs can seal in moisture. I've never used safe socks. All my guns are in the safe and in racks along with a product to control the humidity.

6gun

Hunter
Not a thing wrong with storing your Rugers in their plastic boxes, that's how mine are stored if I have the box other wise they just lay on the shelves, my SR22 is stored in its factory zip case, my long guns are in gun socks and that's only because the kids bought them for me as a gift I wouldn't have gone out and bought them myself, for me keeping moisture out of the safe and keeping things dry is more important than how they are stored, I've only damaged one Ruger in 40 years I left it stored in it's leather holster and the tie down strap left a little corrosion mark on the hammer where the leather touched it.

Chuck 100 yd

Hunter
ncrobb, I store mine in the factory box also if I have one. I do have a few that I bought used that had no box. Those are in zippered single gun cases.
Only a few of my rifles live in a gun sock. They are a good way to prevent safe dings when placed between guns without them. My gun safes are in my insulated and heated (when I'm in it) shop in rainy SW Washington state and they have no moisture controls but there have been ZERO rust issues in the last 30 years.

Jimbo357mag

Hawkeye
I line the plastic boxes with felt to prevent rub marks and store the others in zippered gun cases. Rifles sit in the safe uncovered. Check and wipe down every once in a while. :D

maxima2

Bearcat
I use the plastic Ruger handgun cases and a safe rack so they are side by side. I don't store any in a closed zippered case or foam lined case.

OldePhart

Blackhawk
All of the above. I've got blued guns that I've had in zippered rugs for going on 30 years with no issues. Whatever is in current rotation sits on the top shelf. A couple of guns I've never gotten around to buying rugs for are still in their plastic boxes. Long guns are propped up in the doo-dads around the safe walls with no other protection.

The only time I've seen stored guns have storage issues was when they were stored in a leather holster or scabbard...and that might or might not be a problem depending on how the leather was tanned.

The one thing that I WON'T do is store a weapon, even overnight, loaded. Maybe I'd do that if I had a real safe but my safe is one of those single-wall gun cabinets bolted to the floor from the inside. Reasonably secure from theft but in case of a fire I'd rather have the ammo going pop, pop, pop, than propelling the bullet through a barrel, out through the cabinet, and into the bedroom...

(Oh, and just to make the collectors cringe...it honestly never occurred to me to save a cardboard gun box...) :)

John

6gun

Hunter
OldePhart said:
All of the above. I've got blued guns that I've had in zippered rugs for going on 30 years with no issues. Whatever is in current rotation sits on the top shelf. A couple of guns I've never gotten around to buying rugs for are still in their plastic boxes. Long guns are propped up in the doo-dads around the safe walls with no other protection.

The only time I've seen stored guns have storage issues was when they were stored in a leather holster or scabbard...and that might or might not be a problem depending on how the leather was tanned.

The one thing that I WON'T do is store a weapon, even overnight, loaded. Maybe I'd do that if I had a real safe but my safe is one of those single-wall gun cabinets bolted to the floor from the inside. Reasonably secure from theft but in case of a fire I'd rather have the ammo going pop, pop, pop, than propelling the bullet through a barrel, out through the cabinet, and into the bedroom...

(Oh, and just to make the collectors cringe...it honestly never occurred to me to save a cardboard gun box...) :)

John

Never accrued to me to save cardboard gun boxes either till the late 1980's who would have ever thunked that some day certain boxes would end up being more valuable than the gun that came in them? :?

Mus408

Hunter
I store mine in a display case I built some years ago which is secured in a safe.
Yes it is getting a bit crowded in there!

as noted early on, you will get a LOT of opinions and likes, very subjective,BUT over the years of "fixing & refinishing " them we have found MORE damage done from over cleaning and improper storage, especially LONG term...Cardboard absorbs moisture, a gun left in a cardboard box, no wrap, will abrade on the downward surfaces ,called box burn...same holds true for plastic cases, have seen MORE "new' guns that the bluing is worn on edges, and surfaces that contact the 'bare' plastic....do NOT store ,wrapped in plastic bags or zipper case made of vinyl, they don't breathe, have seen MORE guns rusted ,stored in vinyl cases.....your guns, YOU do what YOU want, but do what WORKS for you, other wise you just keep us 'refinishers', going, and going, and going........and I am retired!!!

oh and I use RIG, have for 50 years, and NOT a single rust spots yet, NO boxes or zipper case ....

Oh and S&W collectors pay heed, same goes for their older mahogany presentation cases with the foam liners!! :shock:

(S-47 case, and their 'felt' lining has spotted, speckled, and pitted, MANY , MANY Supers over the years.......) :roll:

As others have noted, it is the felt or foam lining that contacted the handgun that was the problem. If you have a "Glock style" tupperware case that is simple hard plastic on steel, doubt you would have a problem. But I've seen too many handguns with rust from long term contact with materials in the other style to use them in a safe. Sometimes a gun sits in my safe literally for years without being touched. I wouldn't want to open the box and be surprised. So I also put my handguns in safe racks. So I can visually see them all. And they can breathe. No contact with anything.

I used to use the nice zippered cases but grew concerned about trapped moisture. I do use socks on some rifles when it gets crowded and I'm worried about scratches.

Gregg

varminter22

Single-Sixer
Bianchi used to sell "Bianchi Blue" plastic bags for LONG term storage. Don't know if they are still available or not. Years ago, I used them for a three year overseas tour and they worked fine.

LuckenbachTexas

Buckeye
I shoot them, reload them, and lay them on the table or shelf. I don't mistreat them but I don't worship them like false Idols or let the time I spend with them take away from my relationship with God, thats what the internet is for. I don't assign monetary value. All of mine are stainless and I don't shoot black powder, even if I never cleaned them, they will out live me. I give thanks to God for everything all throughout my day.

Lord, thanks for the Ruger 44 Specials, in Jesus name I pray...Amen!

Mus408

Hunter
Oh and forgot an important item...they are all cleaned, lubed and wiped down with Ballistol.
Now Hickok45 wouldn't lie...would he? :wink:

coach

Hunter
Mus408 said:
I store mine in a display case I built some years ago which is secured in a safe.
Yes it is getting a bit crowded in there!
Now that's the way to store them. A little eye candy whenever you open the safe or have the urge. Be sure to keep a silicone rag handy since this method may encourage fondling. :D

I like those silicone gun gun socks too. Nothing for stainless though just in the safe. And RIG is pretty good. But I've noticed on guns I don't shoot regularly, it tends to gum up some...

ncrobb

Single-Sixer
Thanks for all the inputs; looks like there is not a hands down consensus. I guess I will keep doing what I have been but I may look for some felt slips to use in the hard cases.

Robb

Latest posts