Picked up my Old Model Single Six

Help Support Ruger Forum:

jstanfield103

Blackhawk
I have had two other single sixes and stupidly sold them. I now have a NM Blackhawk 357 and a NM Bisley Blackhawk 44 Magnum, a Redhawk 357 (I Love them all but this Redhawk is just comfortable to shoot )
One of the single Sixes that I had was a three screw that was converted and I really never wanted an unconverted one and did not understand the big deal that everyone talked about the action. I thought the converted ones had a great action.
Well now I understand. I walked into my LGS yesterday (3-20-2015 and low and behold there set a three screw standard 6.5" Single Six. Bluing worn on Cylinder and end of barrel (holster wear ) but the gun actually looked to be in very good shape. No Dings , Dents and scratches. Original box and Wow it was a convertible model with the 22 Mag cylinder also.
I asked the salesman if it was a converted model. He did not know (he is really a good guy that I have known for just a short while but he runs an honest shop and I like doing business with him). I asked him if I could see it so he got it out and handed it to me. I have never seen a non converted Single Six in person before. I could not believe my eyes it was unconverted. Serial # started with 21-xxxxx so it is a 1972 model late 72. When I fingered the action I was bit. I could not believe the difference in feel and sound, the trigger pull was unbelievable. He had a price of $410.00 on it. I put it in Layaway until I could get the money up to buy it.
Well I picked it up today and could not be happier. I Love this little gun. Fired 12 rounds before I had to leave for work. It shot just a tad to the right and I thought it was just me, but after getting home from work and got to looking at the gun I noticed that the sight was drifted to the right which would of put just about where it was hitting. I drifted the sight center and I know it will be dead on now. The trigger is so light and crisp, just unbelievable.
Any way here are some really bad late night pictures. It looks worse in these because of the flash. I will get better sunlight pictures tomorrow and I will also burn up some of my saved up 22LR and Magnum ammo.
Like I said this gun has some character and I really do like it that way.

ginzo

Single-Sixer
jstanfield103 Nice P.U. I'm gonna start looking for singles myself.

Wiz, I wouldn't get rid of those either...Picked up a 649-3 since our coffee. Shimmed both my six series, and smoothed the internals.

Family pics here:
http://www.rugerforum.com/phpBB3/viewtopic.php?f=6&t=220679

Chuck

Armybrat

Buckeye
Nice find, jstanfield. You should get a lot of fun out of shootin' that little wheelgun.

When was the 6.5" barrel first offered? When I bought mine new in 1959, it seems the 5.5" was the only length available. 56 years ago it's kinda hard to remember. Mine still locks up tight & is good to go for one of my grandsons:

Guns075_zps446b6d67.jpg

The 6-1/2" tubes came about in 1959 with the introduction of the "magnum only" RSSM guns.

They later became part of the rest of the Single-Six mix when the convertibles started showing up around 1961, retaining the RSSM designation while the rest were noted as RSS4. RSS5, and RSS9, depending on barrel length. The converts added an "X" to the designation, as RSS4X, RSSMX, etc.

That's a really nice old piece. You will come to love it. Welcome to the old-timers club.

:)

Bucks Owin

Hunter
I acquired a '67 vintage 6.5" Super Single Six about ten years ago from Gunbroker for $295. Had .22 WMR cylinder only which I swapped for a mint .22 LR cylinder. Spent $60 to have my gunsmith give it a sweet 2.5 lb trigger and ream one chamber for WMR. Swapped the gripframe and stocks from the avatar FT onto it. I absolutely LOVE this OM rimfire hogleg! This is the first group fired testing the WMR chamber. It groups LR equally good. Hope your's shoots as well... 8)

chet15

Hawkeye
Bucks Owin said:
I acquired a '67 vintage 6.5" Super Single Six about ten years ago from Gunbroker for $295. Had .22 WMR cylinder only which I swapped for a mint .22 LR cylinder. Spent $60 to have my gunsmith give it a sweet 2.5 lb trigger and ream one chamber for WMR. Swapped the gripframe and stocks from the avatar FT onto it. I absolutely LOVE this OM rimfire hogleg! This is the first group fired testing the WMR chamber. It groups LR equally good. Hope your's shoots as well... 8)

You know...there were a few 6.5" barreled Super Single-Sixes that were shipped as Mag. only. I only know of one (sn# 555430) out of as few as 15-25 made. Not sure you have one, but would be a super rarity in the collectors' world today.
Chet15

jstanfield103

Blackhawk
Thanks guy's for all the comments and I Love seeing the other OM Single Sixes also. I finally did get some better pictures today. Oh and Ruger Guru, you are so right. If you have never felt the action than you really do just think what is the fuss all about my Nm is just as good, but it really aint.

chet15 said:
You know...there were a few 6.5" barreled Super Single-Sixes that were shipped as Mag. only. I only know of one (sn# 555430) out of as few as 15-25 made. Not sure you have one, but would be a super rarity in the collectors' world today.
Chet15

Didn't those have fully-adjustable sights?

:mrgreen:

street

Hunter
Ale-8(1) said:
chet15 said:
Chet15

Didn't those have fully-adjustable sights?

:mrgreen:
Yes. It's a Super Single-Six. Which all had the raised rib and a fully adjustable rear sight.

Jstanfield103:
That is a nice looking gun. It sure does have character your right. I only have one OM Blackhawk (357) I'd love to find a nice OM single six. I know what you mean about the trigger.

You going to do anything to this one? Reblue it or something?

ginzo

Single-Sixer
Ditto!!!

Kevin said:
Jstanfield103:
That is a nice looking gun. It sure does have character your right. I only have one OM Blackhawk (357) I'd love to find a nice OM single six. I know what you mean about the trigger.

You going to do anything to this one? Reblue it or something?

Latest posts