Picked up my Old Model Single Six

Help Support Ruger Forum:

jstanfield103

Blackhawk
Thanks guy's for all the comments.
The only thing that I did do to this gun was realign the rear sight to the center (Now it Shoots POA) and Took my Brass top for the drill and some compound and re do the crown. The crown had a couple very little nicks from cleaning rods over the years, it cleaned up very nice and I am very happy with the accuracy.
I am not going to re blue it. It has honest wear and no signs of abuse. I really like the way it looks ( A little use never hurt it or me :) ) I was 10 years old when this thing was made in 1972.

100yr2late

Bearcat
Nice 3 screw single six jstanfield. I had 2 early ones, one not converted that I sold now wishing I hadn't and one converted. The unconverted has changed hands twice since and I might try to get it back. This is the converted one which has a lot of bluing loss and I took the anodizing off the grip frame and polished it up a bit and fitted an old pair of J Scotts to it. I really like the used look of it and it shoots great.
guns%204%20sale%20052_zpsesb1lgpi.jpg

Timber Faller

Bearcat
I have a 6.5" unconverted non prefix Super Single Six in the 500000 range. Also a New Model convertible. Neither of them have markings on the cylinders identifying which is magnum or LR. I've had convertible Colts, and the magnum cylinder was always non fluted. Are the later Ruger cylinders marked?

jstanfield103

Blackhawk
Hondo, that is a really nice Combination Sixer .
I made a few more pictures of mine with the new grips and some Oxpho-Blue . Oh and I also replaced the scratched up ejector rod housing with a steel one.

Hondo44

Hawkeye
jstanfield103 said:
Hondo, that is a really nice Combination Sixer .
I made a few more pictures of mine with the new grips and some Oxpho-Blue . Oh and I also replaced the scratched up ejector rod housing with a steel one.

Very cool! Looks good. Those grips really make it! Oxpho Blue is a good product but heating the metal is the real key to 'cold blue' products. Have recently switched to Nu Blue. Here's a great write-up and also where to get it:

Bluing product test here: http://www.24hourcampfire.com/ubbthreads/ubbthreads.php/topics/8743943/Evaluation_of_several_cold_blu

Buy it here: http://shop.stockdocusa.com/main.sc

Nu Blue how-to video: http://www.stockdocusa.com/our-services.html

308longdistance

Blackhawk
Some nice working guns being shown here folks.

Hate to say it, but this is my only OM Single-Six.

Hondo44....Tell me how you got that hammer into a 22lr Single-Six? :shock: 8)

Hondo44

Hawkeye
308longdistance said:
Hondo44....Tell me how you got that hammer into a 22lr Single-Six? :shock: 8)

All Ruger SA hammers have the exact same size base and hammer notches.
It's only the upper shank and spur that differ in size. I used OM Super BH hammers
on these two OM guns.

The one below was sectioned horizontally at the junction of the spur and the hammer shaft,
the spur moved forward a bit and welded back together.

cid_20140416_083959.jpg

This Single Six however just had material ground off of the top of the SBH hammer
and the spur shortened. This method does not end up with a lower spur than the original
single six hammer, however. So just wide up with a wider hammer spur.

orig.jpg

For NM small frames, I installed the single six Bisley hammers in new model single sixes.
Only the Bisley hammer base hump needs fitting for the plow handle grip, the same as Large
frame Bisley hammers installed in mid-size and large frame guns.

orig.jpg

I hope this is helpful,