Ruger Stainless Ejector Rod Housing - 1/4" screw

Help Support Ruger Forum:

edlmann

Blackhawk
contender said:
I'm not sure I understand your question.
Are you trying to put a stainless housing on an Old Model?

I have an early NMBH .45 Convertible bought 1975 (46-107XX) that uses the 1/4" screw. I want to put on a stainless housing. Any known sources? I have a stainless Vaquero-takeoff grip housing I'm going to use to match, or I have to figure out how to blue/blacken the grip housing. Not clear to me that the 1/4" screw divides strictly old/new model lines. The same pistol has what appears to be an OM cylinder:

contender

Ruger Guru
I asked because there are OM barrels with a stud mounted in the barrel to screw the housing into. Then there are others w/o a stud.
I bought an already cut & re-blued Om 44 mag a while back. I decided I wanted to swap out the valuable brass (factory) grip frame with something else. I also wanted the weight of a steel g/f. Well, I decided to put a stainless NM Bisley g/f under it. An easy job with a trigger return spring adapter. Next, to give it a better Pinto look, I decided to put a stainless ejector rod housing on it. I took one I had & drilled out the smaller screw hole to fit over the stud in the barrel. It went right on.
Look at your gun & see if my idea will work for you.

Hondo44

Hawkeye
Early new models used both old model cylinders and studded barrels (which use the 6-40 TPI screw with 1/4" (.245") cap.

Soon after the stainless guns were introduced, the studs were deleted from all Blackhawk and Super BH barrels and switched to the Single Six 8-36 screw with .217" cap. That's the only size used after studded barrels were discontinued right up thru current guns and why it would be hard to find a SS housing with 1/4" hole or a 1/4" SS screw. You can still buy the 1/4" screw in blue Ruger #MR3344.

If you have a studded barrel, you're not likely to find a SS housing with the large hole for the 6-40 screw with .245" cap because so few SS guns were made before eliminating the stud. So we drill out the hole in the SS housing as Contender said, to fit the screw, and polish the blue off the screw to bare metal (in the white).

OR: use a Colt screw, they are 6-40 to fit the stud in your barrel But with a .217" cap to fit the existing hole in the current SS housings, so you don't have to drill it. You'll have to polish the blue Colt screw to in the white or order a Colt nickel screw and knock the shine off the nickel with 600 girt paper to match the SS housing satin finish.

If there's no stud in your barrel any current SS housing and screw will be correct, and will just screw onto your barrel. Post a want ad for whichever you need on this forum's classified section.

The stainless grip frame can be blued by those that blue Stainless steel like:

Firearm Refinish and Restoration
George Roghaar, Boca Raton, Florida
http://gunblue.homestead.com/
Call him regarding your particular gun refinishing situation at
(561) 306 3628, or home in the evening (561) 750-8392

Does that answer your questions?

edlmann

Blackhawk
contender said:
I decided to put a stainless ejector rod housing on it. I took one I had & drilled out the smaller screw hole to fit over the stud in the barrel. It went right on. Look at your gun & see if my idea will work for you.
Hondo44 said:
Early new models used both old model cylinders and studded barrels (which use the 6-40 TPI screw with 1/4" (.245") cap.
Soon after the stainless guns were introduced, the studs were deleted from all Blackhawk and Super BH barrels and switched to the Single Six 8-36 screw with .217" cap. That's the only size used after studded barrels were discontinued right up thru current guns and why it would be hard to find a SS housing with 1/4" hole or a 1/4" SS screw. You can still buy the 1/4" screw in blue Ruger #MR3344.
Oddly enough, you can also get the 1/4" screw in stainless, KMR3344. I just got one from Brownells last week.
Hondo44 said:
If you have a studded barrel, you're not likely to find a SS housing with the large hole for the 6-40 screw with .245" cap because so few SS guns were made before eliminating the stud. So we drill out the hole in the SS housing as Contender said, to fit the screw, and polish the blue off the screw to bare metal (in the white).
OR: use a Colt screw, they are 6-40 to fit the stud in your barrel But with a .217" cap to fit the existing hole in the current SS housings, so you don't have to drill it. You'll have to polish the blue Colt screw to in the white or order a Colt nickel screw and knock the shine off the nickel with 600 girt paper to match the SS housing satin finish.
Something in me just can't bring myself to pay the Colt parts price ($14 to $22, give or take).

Thanks for the responses gentlemen. Looks like I need to break down and buy a drill press. Any suggestions for the casual tinkerer (who has a decreasing tolerance for cheap marfi).

ETA: As I was reading this post, it finally occurred to me to check Numrich. I just ordered the last two of what they called, "250260 Ejector Housing, Stainless (For Studded Barrel Only)." Should be interesting to see what shows up. Wouldn't be the first time I returned something to them.

edlmann

Blackhawk
contender said:
I bought an already cut & re-blued Om 44 mag a while back. I decided I wanted to swap out the valuable brass (factory) grip frame with something else. I also wanted the weight of a steel g/f. Well, I decided to put a stainless NM Bisley g/f under it. An easy job with a trigger return spring adapter.

I have an older blue Old Army project gun with the aluminum trigger housing. One of the things I want to do to it would be add a steel grip frame of some sort. Is the "trigger return spring adapter" an off-the-shelf item?

Hondo44

Hawkeye
The empty long rifle case is, but the adapters are homemade. Or you can just hacksaw out that section of an old model alum grip frame and stick it in the new model frame.

However, after 1985, the Blue Old Army was made with a steel grip frame and those can still be found. Of course all the OA stainless grip frames are steel and fit the old models with no modifications also. Both steel and SS OA grip frames have a wide trigger slot for the wide Super BH trigger or Clements trigger.

edlmann

Blackhawk
Hondo44 said:
Soon after the stainless guns were introduced, the studs were deleted from all Blackhawk and Super BH barrels and switched to the Single Six 8-36 screw with .217" cap. That's the only size used after studded barrels were discontinued right up thru current guns and why it would be hard to find a SS housing with 1/4" hole or a 1/4" SS screw. . . . you're not likely to find a SS housing with the large hole for the 6-40 screw with .245" cap because so few SS guns were made before eliminating the stud.
edlmann said:
t finally occurred to me to check Numrich. I just ordered the last two of what they called, "250260 Ejector Housing, Stainless (For Studded Barrel Only)." Should be interesting to see what shows up.

What showed up was two stainless ejector rod housings with 1/4" screw holes for studded barrels (one of them with a bit of yellow paint). Just as advertised. Go figure! :shock: