GP-100 in 41 mag

Help Support Ruger Forum:

foxtrapper

Blackhawk
9fc8a7f6d82ed746417036a2df172856.jpg

BlkHawk73

Hunter
Got a bit excited until I clicked and immediately knew who did it. Does some nice work except for all his "engraving" but cannot stand the guy behind them. Refuse to let my money go into his pocket.
Other than the engraving, it's a verrrry clean looking revolver in a fantastic chambering. 8)

Don Lovel

Hunter
I would love it if Ruger would make a 3 1/2" GP 100 in 41 mag, round but grips, high vis Novak sights, make a great CCW pistol out of it, or do the same in 40 S&W/10mm moon clips

Arky

Single-Sixer
Don Lovel said:
I would love it if Ruger would make a 3 1/2" GP 100 in 41 mag, round but grips, high vis Novak sights, make a great CCW pistol out of it, or do the same in 40 S&W/10mm moon clips

That's right! I have a Smith 57 the previous owner had a carry job done on. 3 1/2 in barrel, rounded shoulders on rear sight, round butt frame with combat grips. It also had an action job and has a very crisp 2 lb single action trigger pull. It and my SBH 41 are my two favorite hand guns.

foxtrapper

Blackhawk
steve8261948 said:
foxtrapper, you're pretty critical of this man, I suppose you have your reasons but, don't here much bad About him? Personal?
Steve
Only critical of his engraving and font. I own a bunch of his guns and they shoot! :) Wish he would come out with a series that have block factory writing . Just erase the Ruger Blackhawk on the frame and replace with his series name . Nothing on the barrel or cylinder etc.

s4s4u

Hunter
BlkHawk73 said:
Got a bit excited until I clicked and immediately knew who did it. Does some nice work except for all his "engraving" but cannot stand the guy behind them. Refuse to let my money go into his pocket.
Other than the engraving, it's a verrrry clean looking revolver in a fantastic chambering. 8)

What he said ^^^

ceadermtnboy

Blackhawk
Gary is first class, buy a gun from him and he will stand behind it for life! I have had nothing but great experience dealing with him. His engraving is a free option you don't have to go with. His grips are some of the best fitted for the cost charged IMHO!

Just my 2 cents

Any of you guys want to try and build a gun like the one shown, I have a 6" python barrel that is bored to 41 caliber a guy can have for $225 shipped. :) I was going to have a 41 Special python made but decided I have reached the end of my custom project journey.

I have to admit, I bought the barrel bored to 41 caliber. The seller thought it was one of the rare factory 41 python barrels that Colt made a few of but I think he was mistaken. It has 357 on the side so unless Colt just grabbed lettered 357 barrels and rebore them, I guess is it was done in the private world. Unfortunately I do not know who did it. I do know the gun is the old style barrel with the pinned front sight and I know that differentiates thread dimensions but I have do not recall what the thread pitch is.

xtratoy

Buckeye
I found the information in a post from another forum when I was getting ready to rebarrel my GP100. I eventually used another Ruger GP100 barrel. It appears that a gunsmith would have to machine an ID/OD threaded adapter to fit a Python Barrel to the GP100 frame.
Revolver barrel threads from Brownells list of taps and dies:
GP 100 .625x24
Colt SAA .695x20
S&W K .540x36
S&W L .562x36
S&W N .670x36
Ruger SA .680x24
Redhawk .750-20
Colt Python etc .563x32
Colt Python .562x36 post 1991.

Thel

Blackhawk
Robb, if I recall correctly years ago there was a gunsmith down South in (Florida or Texas?) who converted Pythons to .41 Magnum. Colt took him to court and don't know what happened after that so perhaps it is a leftover barrel. Some others do Python .41 Special conversions and it could be from that, too. Colt made a prototype .41 mag from what I read but it never got produced and was put in the vault or destroyed. Reeder makes 5 shot .41 mag GP100 Conversions using his 5 shot cylinder and Clements 6 shot .41 Special conversions (he claims 1250 fps 220 gr loads) using the stock cylinder. Reeder uses his own barrel and Clements a rebored GP100 barrel. Perhaps, if you run into Grant Cunningham down the road a couple miles in Falls City he could tell you more being he is a noted revolver guru.