Redhawk in 357

Help Support Ruger Forum:

hawk_driver

Single-Sixer
Did Ruger make the stainless Redhawks in 357 Mag for very long? Was in a gunshop yesterday and they had 2 used, stainless Redhawks in 357. I know they made them, just dont know for how long or if they are really that rare.

trapperon

Blackhawk
I think it was just for a year or two back in the mid 1980's. I believe there were 5,000 5.5 inchers and 5,000 7.5 inchers produced--both stainless. I have a 7.5 version and it shoots like a laser! A very fun revolver to shoot and barely any recoil at all due to the weight of that massive thing and small bore!

Ron

hawk_driver

Single-Sixer
The 7.5" was listed at $999 and the 5.5" was listed at $799. We were back in AL for a funeral, and cruised the gunshops while we were waiting to fly out. I didnt think they were made for very long.

eveled

Hawkeye
Funny how you never see them, then two show up together. Wonder if the same guy owned both? I desperately wanted one, but wished they were eight shot. I ended up with a S&W 627 instead and am very happy with it.

Varminterror

Blackhawk
I have two of the 7.5" 357mag Redhawks. I'd love to see a pair sitting in a shop, I find it very hard to believe that any shop would have 2.

I've heard the "5,000 made" number get thrown around as 5,000 total as well as 5,000 of each barrel length. Not sure which is correct, as I haven't been able to verify either way.

Massively heavy revolvers. My wife loves hers, no recoil even with rather potent mag loads. Mine is actually a convertible that can run a bit heavier recoil, but still very well behaved. :)

$999 is too high. $799 is high, but reasonable. I got both of mine in the last 18mos for $680 and $800. I don't like the balance on the 5.5" models as much, since there's just SO MUCH WEIGHT in the cylinder, but it's handier length than the 7.5"

mexicanjoe

Single-Sixer
Ruger needs to make a 3.5" and a 4" Redhawk in .357! They would sell like ice water in hades!!!! My custom .44 Redhawk with a 3.5 bbl and magnaporting is the bees knees.!!!!!
You should see the looks when I work patrol carrying it. " You carry a wheel gun ?" "Yes,Sir". "Cool!!" They don't know I carry Specials, and keep Maggie's in the speed loaders.

hittman

Staff member
hawk_driver said:
The 7.5" was listed at $999 and the 5.5" was listed at $799.

Seems to me these prices are bass-akwards. Many times around here we see the shorter barrel commanding the higher price.

Onty

Single-Sixer
I almost bought one 357 Redhawk with 5" barrel, was told that was original length. Well, I was looking for a shooter, not collector's piece. Too much steel for 357 in my opinion.

MMichaelAK

Single-Sixer
Keep your eyes open.
A member here spotted one in a pawn shop in Montana a couple years ago and mentioned it. 5 1/2 inch, with Pachmyrs on it, and it wound up being under $500 shipped and transferred to Alaska ;)
HEAVY, but she shoots nice!

Timber Faller

Bearcat
I have all the calibers of Redhawks. Some blued, most stainless. Love the .357. Bought it years ago at a pawn shop in Anchorage for the same price as a .44