Redhawk .357 w/5.5 barrel?

Help Support Ruger Forum:

Shooter973

Bearcat
I own one of these fine revolvers. Mine has had a trigger job, that would make a Python jealous. I don't hunt with it, as I have the same 5.5 inch and 2, 7.5 inch 44 mags. Mine is strictly a range toy. Shoots very well, tames hot loads down. Like shooting wadcutters in a Sec.Six.. Shoots lite, powder puff loads like it's a 22lr.
Works like a champion on bowling pins. Load it up to what ever power level you feel is nessesary and just wipe those pins off the table. Alll of My Redhawks wear Pachmeyers, the grips I like best.
I don't know how many of the 5.5 inch were made, but i've been told that only 5000 were made in both barrel lenths. I don't know if thats true or not.
I've only seen 2 of these in my life, so I know they are scarce. If I remeber correctly I gave about $300 for mine, slightly used, many years ago. Lots of steel in these brutes. :D

hittman

Staff member
Capt Gary said:
Did they make many of these? Anyone with experience with them?

Many? No.
Experience? Some.

If you're looking to buy ...... prepare yourself for sticker shock if you haven't researched the market.

TPAshooter7.62

Single-Sixer
Bought one back around 1986 as a result of reading a gun magazine article, stating this particular RedHawk was capable of shooting "sub-nuclear loads," lol! The massive vault like cylinder appears that indeed it has the potential. I eventually changed the sights to a rear V-notch and a gold bead front. Accurate as all get out. Took it to a range two years ago in Alexandria, VA. Two handed hold produced regular quarter sized clusters. My most accurate handgun in my stable. I'll be holding on to this for a long long time.

WIL TERRY

Buckeye
A pal of mine has one of these. It shot like a million bucks all the way out to the promised land with handloads using a Lyman 225gr SWC bullet at 1425fps. That 357 sixgun was AMAZING !
And so it goes...

rugerrat

Single-Sixer
Here is my NIB 5.5" Redhawk .357 which I was very fortunate to have found for my collection:

TPAshooter7.62

Single-Sixer
Even shooting 38 wad cutters out from this makes it feel like you're shooting a 22. One wonders if this could have been a near "out of the box" PPC gun. That day at the range, it certainly acted like it!

Capt Gary

Bearcat
Wish you guys didn't make them sound so good. I may have to buy the one a friend has. NIB. Just way too much money. Have no real use for it, but it is very sweet. Hope I can hold out.
Appreciate all the replies.

TPAshooter7.62

Single-Sixer
Capt Gary said:
Wish you guys didn't make them sound so good. I may have to buy the one a friend has. NIB. Just way too much money. Have no real use for it, but it is very sweet. Hope I can hold out.
Appreciate all the replies.
Oh, c'mon! Succumb to "the dark side." You will relish it's accurate deliciousness as you embarrass those trying to keep up with you with their Glocks and Sigs at the range.

hittman

Staff member
Capt Gary said:
Just way too much money.

You never pay too much, just buy some too early.
You only live once.
You deserve it.
They aren't making them any longer.
It'll appreciate more than money in a savings account.

.... shall I continue ..... :lol:

"Too much" is a relative term. Care to share "how much"? :mrgreen:

TPAshooter7.62

Single-Sixer
I agree with hitmann. Getting one of these is like money in a bank. They don't make them anymore. Hence, the demand is huge for this gun. You're in a great position to get it because you have access to it. FWIW.

k22fan

Blackhawk
I have a 7 1/2". Heavy? 56 ounces. Recoil? Not much. For me it's been a range toy. I did not know Lyman made .38 molds over 200 grains. I may look into a 225 grain.

From the man who was his training Sergent I hear a deputy once carried a 7 1/2" .357 RH locally. I hope he had strong suspenders. I'll bet a few of the offenders he took in viewed it as the biggest gun they'd ever seen!

Kanook

Buckeye
My wife liked my 5.5 Redhawk and asked if S&W made anything similar, next thing you know there is a Model 28 in the safe.

From the man who was his training Sergent I hear a deputy once carried a 7 1/2" .357 RH locally. I hope he had strong suspenders. I'll bet a few of the offenders he took in viewed it as the biggest gun they'd ever seen!
One of my good friends carried a Redhawk 44mag 5.5 when he first was hired. One of the funniest thing I have ever seen was a person decided to run and didn't know he was standing behind him. The perp ran right into his chest face first and fell over.

Peter M. Eick

Bearcat
redhawks.jpg

You really need to have one of both to enjoy them. I love mine.

Peter M. Eick

Bearcat
Yep.

I bought them specifically to work up hot loads that I would not put in my Pre-28/27's. I am working my way up to a 353 Casull.

redhawk_vs_pre27.jpg

You just need more steel then the S&W's can provide.

redhawks_right.jpg