Drag Lines ?

Help Support Ruger Forum:

Hylander

Single-Sixer
So I'm looking to get a SS new Vaquero 5.5" .45 Colt.
I inspected the one we have at work, overall the Revolver looks great.
However being brand new (I am the only to take it out of the box) it already has drag lines just from the
factory guys test shooting it :(
I can see the cylinder stop hand coming up early before the notch.
This Normal ? Should I pass on this one ?

Chuck 100 yd

Hunter
Yes that it's normal to the new model Rugers. If the cylinder stop is polished just a bit the turn ring will be lessened a bunch. And SS guns are easily touched up as far as the finish goes with the high polished being the easiest of all.

Hylander said:
Thanks
Anything else I should look for ?
How much cylinder to barrel gap is acceptable ?

.006 max imo

There is a thread here on lengthening the cylinder latch
to help reduce the drag line. Delays it a tad Can not seem to find maybe
someone has it saved. ps

jstanfield103

Blackhawk
I was always taught that on a revolver especially the Blackhawks that I have, Double action sometimes it just can not be prevented especially on some S&W. After you close the loading gate never turn the cylinder to latch it. always cock the hammer to have the cylinder latch it's self. Of coarse if you have live ammo in it this must be done very carefully in a very safe direction. Being all my Blackhawks are Blued it is very hard to keep the drag marks off nut it working well on my 44 BH.
I know this is not helping you but someone else might like it. But like already said the SS revolvers are very easy to touch up.

Hondo44

Hawkeye
If the drag line extends more than halfway between the cyl locking notches, it's from user handling; turning the cyl after the cyl bolt pops up as jstanfield correctly pointed out above. A drag line that's only halfway between the locking notches is normal. New Model Rugers and S&Ws are designed this way to insure reliable lock up under rapid firing.

As "Chuck 100 yd" posted, I also simply polish the bolt on all revolvers when I first get them. Takes one minute with a Dremel tool and goes a long way towards mitigating the ring. After that, I never think about the ring again.

If the ring really bothers you, there's a cyl bolt plunger (in the hammer) modification that will eliminate the ring on new models from normal cocking. However, recognize w/o conscientious handling of new models, modified guns can still cause a ring.

Even if the hammer plunger is modified you can cause a ring if you lower the hammer w/o cocking all the way back 1st (a SA no-no!) or when you close the loading gate w/o a cyl notch being directly above the cyl bolt; as soon as you cock the hammer or turn the cyl into place to lock it, you scribe a ring just like on an old model.

For DAs a simple habit when you close the cylinder, will prevent a full cylinder ring and at least limit it to an interrupted ring. With your left hand grasp the cyl around the bottom of the frame with thumb and forefinger in opposing flutes positioning them at 3 and 9 o'clock when closing the cylinder will prevent scribing and becomes so natural after a while, one doesn't even have to think about. This works on five shot cylinders as well by positioning two flutes at 4 and 8 o'clock. Once closing the cylinder in alignment becomes a habit which is like after the 2nd time you do it for most of us, it's no "effort" what so ever; or about as much effort as remembering to breath.

k22fan

Blackhawk
Cylinder drag lines can almost completely be prevented from forming on new condition S&Ws. I don't have enough experience with Ruger DAs to say that for them, but it is probably the case. Remove the cylinder stop. With a super fine hard Arkansas sharpening stone put a minute radius on its edges. It is that simple. Hondo44 likes to polish the top of the cylinder stop which shouldn't hurt but I've stopped drag line formation by only polishing the stop's edges.

Most used revolvers will all ready have a drag line so by the time you buy them it is too late. Occasionally a used revolver that the first owner radiused the stop's edges on goes up for sale. Not long ago a woman at our range asked me to inspect a S&W 25-2 another member was offering her. It had no drag line so the first thing I said was it had been fired very little. Its owner interjected it cames with his notes of firing 5,xxx rounds in bullseye competition. Oops! I opened the cylinder, drug a finger across the cylinder stop, and you know what I felt.

Hondo44 and a few others here are your experts on SAs. I defer to them on anything SA. I just shoot mine.

Latest posts