Super Blackhawk: gate detent spring jams cylinder?

Help Support Ruger Forum:

tbryanh

Bearcat
I ran accross this post to an article on the Super Blackhawk:

"This gun does, however, have a flaw. I own a Super Blackhawk in Stainless steel that I bought new last year. The gate detent spring kept popping out of place and jamming the cylinder. I had to send it back twice to Ruger before they got it fixed right and they absolutely stood behind their product. I took it to a local gunsmith that told me this flaw was very common for this gun. Also found a lot of complaints about this on the web. I hope Ruger addresses this problem."

I just picked up a Super Blackhawk recently. Anybody know anything about this supposed defect?

medicdave

Blackhawk
Operator error on reassembly. If the guns assembled correctly I've never had one pop out on me.

Chuck 100 yd

Hunter
That issue does come up on occasion. Not common at all. By removing the gate detent spring and by either replacing it or just bending the upper leg that bears on the loading gate cam back toward the loading gate just a little and making sure the springs bearing surface is square and not rounded the issue should be solved. Be sure to keep that area lubed to prevent wear.