Assistance with valuing Black Hawk War commemorative

Help Support Ruger Forum:

kdave21

Bearcat
Hello all,
I will soon be selling this and am having a hard time finding comparables. It is a Ruger New Model Black Hawk 45, specifically the Black Hawk War Commemorative with the customizing by magna-port. I won't bother detailing the specs on it now as most of you probably know more than I do about these. More and better pics can come later, but here's one for starters...

kdave21

Bearcat
I apologize, I'm not sure how to post pics. If someone gives me their email I can send it to them for posting. It is NIB...

chet15

Hawkeye
Value would be in the eye of the beholder because it is a custom gun through-and-through.
So whatever somebody would place the value as with those extra features.
Chet15

k22fan

Blackhawk
A custom gun is one that was built to a customer's specifications. This is not a custom gun. Like the vast majority of commemoratives it is a mass produced item that was marketed as a quasi collector item.

In my experience NIB unfired commemoratives sell for about the same price as undecorated but other wise identical production guns in 90% to 95% condition. The decorations detract from value. The exception is commemoratives that offer significantly different features that can't be found on production guns. The question is not can you find the mythical collector of commemoratives. It is can you find some one who wants Magnaports and can live with the decorations. If you can't, the value of 90% to 95% .45 New Model Black hawks is $400-$450 in my area.

6gun

Hunter
I agree with the above comments mass produced made to be collectables don't make them more valuable than standard issue.

Like putting lipstick on a pig it may be more desirable to some but in the end the pork sells for the same price per pound as the rest.

kdave21

Bearcat
I am very familiar with the commemorative vs anti-commemorative debate.

I realize, that to many people, commemorative guns are viewed in a negative light. To some people it is a positive. There is ample market evidence to support both viewpoints. (I have seen multiple commemorative guns sell for much higher, AND much lower than comparable non-commemorative).

I was hoping for comparable sales so that I could establish a fair market value, not seeking peoples personal opinions on commemorative guns. I have seen commemorative guns sell dirt cheap, and I've also seen them sell very high. I sold a commemorative John Wayne BB gun for $400 once. Luckily I did not price it off the going value for Red Ryder BB guns (in response to poster who suggests pricing it at 90% of market value of a non-commemorative). These Rugers were not mass produced (less than 150) and they are an unusual item. I was hoping someone on a Ruger forum maybe had seen one sell in the last year or two. No worries, I will put it for sale and see what the market says. Thanks-

6gun

Hunter
Keep in mind commemorative guns are a niche market, the right collector may be willing to offer a high price for it, most of us buy guns to shoot and enjoy and are not willing to pay a higher price for a safe queen to pretty to shoot.

like we often say, "a sum of the total of the parts", Mag-Na-Port, the case, the markings, puts it in the $650 to $700 range around here...heck look at the MSRP of some of the "new "Ruger line and makes it affordable to keep and shoot......MOST all "social/fraternal" type firearms are a tough sell, as well as the "commemoratives" except for maybe the John Wayne, and Boy Scout stuff, the rest is a "bad investment", unless it's YOU or YOUR "group" or niche of "things" like trains,boats and planes and famous battle sites 8) :roll: :wink:

custom is a "quasi personal" thing, we don't ALL like whitewall tires or spinner hubcaps :mrgreen:

Major T

Blackhawk
Cousin had a truck load of Colt's, S&W, and Winchester commeratives. Long story short, when it came time to sell, the Texas Rangers, John Wayne , Boy Scout, and Bi-Centennials were the only ones he made money on, and that barely covered inflation. He did much better with engraved colt's SAA.

Ya know, right after this was posted, I did a little researching. I found one of these sold for $650 two years ago. Today I cannot find that comp, but further research found three more. One for $1400, one for $1695, and one for $5295! All removed from sale or ads expired without selling. Duh.

WAYNO.

kdave21

Bearcat
. I found one of these sold for $650 two years ago.

The one that sold for $650 was not from 2 years ago. It was 13 years ago in 2002. http://www.gunauction.com/buy/2287866

One for $1400, one for $1695, and one for $5295!

The one in the 1400's had no box. From my experience, no case is usually a deal killer for most commemorative collectors. I didn't see the 1695 one. I did see the $5295 and I agree that it is unclear as to what happened with that one.

kdave21

Bearcat
It's all good. It is now for sale and in the hands of the free market to decide :D

Moderators feel free to close this thread.

6gun

Hunter
kdave21 said:
It's all good. It is now for sale and in the hands of the free market to decide :D

Moderators feel free to close this thread.

Oh no your not getting of that easy keep the thread open so we can get the news of what it sold for and you have to admit most here were right.

So where are you auctioning the gun so we can all see? post a link.

kdave21

Bearcat
Oh no your not getting of that easy keep the thread open so we can get the news of what it sold for and you have to admit most here were right.

So where are you auctioning the gun so we can all see? post a link.

I didn't realize this was a "me vs. you" situation, and I'm sorry that you see it that way.

I am not trying to "get off easy". You are welcome to watch the auction at Gunbroker! If seeing a gun flop so that you can"be right" (even though no one was arguing with you in the first place!!), brings you satisfaction, then more power to you.

I have never ONCE stated anyone was wrong about commemorative gun values LOL. In general I agree! I have been around guns a long time so these viewpoints are nothing new to me. I am stating that their are exceptions. Whether this is one of them, I have no idea!

To be honest, I was just kind of hoping to meet some friendly folks on the Ruger forum who could help a guy out who was not familiar with many of the Ruger makes. Sorry if I have asked too much.

k22fan

Blackhawk
http://www.gunbroker.com/Auction/ViewItem.aspx?Item=471027785

Starting bid $2,000, buy it now $2,500. He has excellent pictures which helps bring in higher bids.

cadillo

Blackhawk
Maybe someone can tell me what war it commemorates. I just can't figure how it is that I never heard of this war that supposedly lasted for 150 years, or maybe it ran its course during 1832, and 150 years later someone decided it was time for a celebration?

Inquiring minds would like to know.

32shooter

Blackhawk
War between the U.S. and Native Americans. http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Black_Hawk_War

Latest posts