Bisley SBH Hunter .44mag grips

Help Support Ruger Forum:

Counting Coup

Bearcat
Good day all,
New guy here and recent purchase. Looking for any links to some very comfortable/helpful grips to aid in accuracy. I do not care near as much for esthetics as I do functionality and feel of grips. I'm going to be doing some long range shooting with this thing and would bet there are far better grip options than what came on it. I could make work as is, but was hoping people out there with far more experience than I could shed some ideas past what looks good. I plan on hunting with this thing and want all advantages possible to acquire consistent accuracy (aside from lots of practice of course). Thank you for your time,
CC

Counting Coup

Bearcat
.....Looking for something a tad wider I suppose. I should add that while there are probably several people who do really nice custom work, I will not be rendering my firearm for shipment. I don't need a perfect fit per say, but something more molding to the hand than what came with....preferably not slick like faux ivory. Any suggestions are appreciated!

Counting Coup

Bearcat
Hey thanks Chuckbuster II,
Nice fam you have there. Those are looking a bit thicker up top, site says 15%. Wish I could hold a set before spending the coin, but I'll probly just have to roll the dice. Do you have a say as to if they are more or less equally slick as the ones that came on my Bis Hunter? Great link thanks.

Chuckbuster II

Single-Sixer
Never noticed being Slick, maybe due to the shape. For me they definitely improve recoil management. As for handling a set where you located?
Kevin

The 2nd picture with 5 in it are all .41 Mags by the way. Somehow an S&W Mod 58 snuck in there, Don't own a .44, have in the past, traded off to finance more .41's :)

medicdave

Blackhawk
I secound the bearpaws. Not going to find anything comfier on a bisley, or a better guy to work with than JB.

Sent him this.

Got back this.

contender

Ruger Guru
Welcome to the Forum!

You can also check out a few members here. One, Caryc does some of the nicest grips you'll EVER see. But, he does prefer to use your grip frame to fit them.
Another member here, is Zane Thompson, of Lone Star Custom Grips. He goes by lscg here. He has been a great supporter of my Autism Charity match, and my NRA event.

That said, we also have a member, David Bradshaw who could teach you a LOT about a proper grip & how to handle a SA sixgun. Go to the "Gallery" section, look for posts by Lee Martin about David Bradshaw. Go to some older ones & you'll see what I mean.
How we grip a gun, how a gun fits us, is all important in achieving good accuracy.

Counting Coup

Bearcat
Chuckbuster II: I ask about slickness due to when I hold the stock grips, if my hands are anything less than completely dry ( oil/lube is not on exterior ) then I don't feel like I have a secure hold of it. Maybe I'm oily, haha. Located in Springfield, OR. My buddy has a .41 he calls his "pimp gun" as it is so shiny. Love that caliber.

medicdave: Those pictures really helped a bunch. Especially the rear profile pic. I can actually see what 15% looks like up top of the grip. Nice block, and those grips look great. Bearpaw may be the answer to a largerer grip and secure feel.

contender: Thank you for the links. I will definitely check out those guys and see what they have to offer! as well as am usually open to hearing how to's. I am a two thumbs fwd kinda guy with my auto's and was doing the same with the Bisley SBH.

Much appreciate the feedback guys. Have been out in the "tactical" world for the last several years and am finding that a good revolver and a '92 lever action make me grin more than any of the scopes, dots, lights, suppressors, etc. that I've been loading on my other stuff. Never rifle hunted as of yet and I am a bowhunter; but depending on how well I shoot this .44 SBH I may chase some fur with the pistol. Thanks again!

contender

Ruger Guru
Counting Coup, I fully understand where you are coming from. I shoot USPSA, and the two thumbs forward is the grip I use. However, the SA revolver is a totally different design, and as such requires a different grip method. If you were anywhere near me, I'd offer you a chance to try some of my different guns & grips.
PS; I have been handgun hunting since the early 80's for deer. Killed a lot with my Contenders, but I've been totin' a SA a lot more these last few years.
Grips, gripping method, proper holds etc all make for better or worse accuracy. Also, you mentioned having to have completely dry hands. You can use the stuff we use in USPSA to dry out your hands. But, a SA, especially a boomer needs to be able to "roll" a bit when fired. Due to the design, the recoil has to go somewhere. If you fight it by trying to hold the gun down like we do in shooting a semi, then you'll have issues with accuracy, just by how you are gripping it.
If you can find an experienced SA shooter to teach you how to properly hold a SA, you'll be well ahead of the learning curve.

Counting Coup

Bearcat
contender, unfortunately I don't have any folks who shoot the SA around me. Not that they don't exist, but more so than before, I'll be looking for it out at the range. My polymers have stippling and or rubber sleeves, and even my 1911s have a rubber insert and aggressive grips. Maybe time is all I need to get used to the new feel. My hand tells my brain I don't have a secure fast hold. Until I drop it I guess I have a hold on it eh? Just have to play around a bit to see whats comfortable/effective. Can't sit at the cpu for hours on end researching stuff. But here and there I'll poke around to see what I find to aid me the wiser. Thanks for the help, I'll make it work one way or another. :)

Counting Coup

Bearcat
what do you guys thing about checkered grips? If the recoil is supposed to roll back some, does this tear up the hand for anyone? I don't have keyboard typing hands, but I wouldn't say they are farm or automotive hands. Or what about finger grooves? I see finger grooves really changing how it is held and not sure about that one. Do to my previous shooting experience I'm thinking a little checkered pattern may be beneficial, and I'm not a huge fan, but not opposed to gloves I guess. Only shoot with gloves when it is damn cold out normally.

medicdave

Blackhawk
I don't do checkered grips on anything that kicks. Finger grooves are kind of a personal thing I hate them, my brother loves them. I feel they stop the natural rotation of a single action. Might look at some smooth stag or buffalo horn as well, you could knock a little of the polish off to get a little more purchase and still look good.

Not so polished buffalo horn on unfit hunter frame.

Not so polished elk on new xr3

Old knarly Sambar. Believe it or not the popcorn on these is smooth and rounded. Look like a meat grinder but my favorite set of grips.

Counting Coup

Bearcat
MD: I like the elk ones for sure. I do need a little more purchase than a smooth finish I can say that. Something that won't crack would be nice too, ironwood, cocobolo, cherry are pretty strong eh? Alright I'll take your advice on the meat grinders and pass on checkered. If I could find some unique elk grips I would probably go for it. Esthetically I like medallions but they are certainly not a deal breaker. Thanks for the pictures, they always help! I can tell I would need a bib for the drool if I came to your house.

medicdave

Blackhawk
Medallions can be added with a 1/2" forstner bit. Any hard wood that's properly seasoned before making the grips will work. Not Rugers but here's some wood choices I have pictures of.

Cocobolo straight grain on 325pd

Cocobolo straight grain on 24-3

Cordia (bocote) on 396ng

Maple on 24-3

English walnut blanks for an upcoming brass frame project.

For elk look at:

sackpeterson.com

grashorngunworks.com

I've had both and they both do a fine job. Thanks for the compliments on the kids, life's to short to spend it with an ugly gun.

contender

Ruger Guru
CC, if you look at the many good pics here (& elsewhere) you will see a lot more of the smooth type, non-finger groove grips. There is a reason for that. They work.

In the semi-auto, the physics of recoil are different, and as such, skate tape, checkering, stippling, etc all does aid in a secure grip.

Medallions are easily added, and an option that most grip makers can do.

Counting Coup

Bearcat
I appreciate the help guys. Might take me a bit to make up my mind but have much more to work with than I did a few days ago. Thanks!